Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septoplasty

• 19-03-2019 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Hi all.

I have a deviated septum. Born with it. Has gotten to the stage where it's causing breathing and snoring problems (my partner has moved to spare room!).

From Googling (I know, I know) I reckon a septoplasty might help. I have some questions.

What is the process to getting this done? Go to my GP?

If I go privately, how do I do this? I don't have health insurance. I don't mind paying (It seems to be less than €2000) and I'm guessing I would have more input on when the surgery would be scheduled. I have a busy summer, and don't know how long the waiting list is for going publicly.

Either way, public or private, how do I start the ball rolling? And any idea of costs or success rates?

Thanks in advance.

Sleepless in Meath

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hi all.

I have a deviated septum. Born with it. Has gotten to the stage where it's causing breathing and snoring problems (my partner has moved to spare room!).

From Googling (I know, I know) I reckon a septoplasty might help. I have some questions.

What is the process to getting this done? Go to my GP?

If I go privately, how do I do this? I don't have health insurance. I don't mind paying (It seems to be less than €2000) and I'm guessing I would have more input on when the surgery would be scheduled. I have a busy summer, and don't know how long the waiting list is for going publicly.

Either way, public or private, how do I start the ball rolling? And any idea of costs or success rates?

Thanks in advance.

Sleepless in Meath

Go to your GP who will refer you to a surgeon. You’d have a consultation with them, some scans then set a date for surgery. Most private surgeons operate in a number of hospitals so finding an approximate date to suit isn’t too difficult. The surgeons secretary would be able to give you all details of costs in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Hello again,

Public isn't an option. GP says waiting lists could be up to 3 years.
    She wasn't sure how much it would cost but said it could be thousands.

Does anyone have any idea before I ring next week on prices? I'd like to know a ballpark figure.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Have a look at the Cross Border Directive

https://www2.hse.ie/services/cross-border-directive/about-the-cross-border-directive.html

No idea re costs here I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭RoamingDoc

A post from 4 years ago in this forum indicated that it would be at least €2,000.
    kravmaga wrote: »
    gar44 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I was hoping to get some insight from someone that might have gone through this process. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how much a septoplasty costs in Ireland and if any Irish health insurance plan covers it.

Any comments or PM's would be greatly appreciated.
    €2,000 approx for the surgery, takes 20mins.

I got it done last year, VHI covered all the cost of surgery only, except the initial pre surgeon visit and post op visits

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Anybody get this done ?

I got it done two weeks ago and honestly it’s feels worse than before .

• Advertisement

Still on the waiting list! Thought they had forgotten about me but no - got a text to ask if I was still happy to remain on the waiting list! There wasn't an option for NO ID RATHER BE ON THE OPERATING TABLE but hey ho. Yours feels worse?! Oh no. In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DerekCorr

Anybody get this done ?

I got it done two weeks ago and honestly it’s feels worse than before .

Did it get any better? Strongly considering it. I've been sleeping poorly for decades at this stage. Snoring is driving the wife mad too. How much did it cost?

DerekCorr wrote: »
    Did it get any better? Strongly considering it. I've been sleeping poorly for decades at this stage. Snoring is driving the wife mad too. How much did it cost?

I'm still waiting! :D Half wished I had just paid for it now. BF won't sleep in same room as me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭victor8600

Anybody get this done ?.

I had. Really improved my breathing. I don't remember how long the recovery was, but definitely longer than a week.

victor8600 wrote: »
    I had. Really improved my breathing. I don't remember how long the recovery was, but definitely longer than a week.

That's good that it worked! I've waited this long now so I may wait a bit longer, but no idea how long the public waiting list is. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 DerekCorr

victor8600 wrote: »

Good to hear! Where did you have it done? Do you mind saying how much it cost? I emailed a clinic about a consultation - they replied that first I will need a referral from my GP, and then the consultation will cost 200, so I'm guessing it won't be cheap. About 260 quid just to get in the door. If it improves my sleep, it will be worth it.

Good to hear! Where did you have it done? Do you mind saying how much it cost? I emailed a clinic about a consultation - they replied that first I will need a referral from my GP, and then the consultation will cost 200, so I'm guessing it won't be cheap. About 260 quid just to get in the door. If it improves my sleep, it will be worth it.

I had emailed 3 places 2 years ago and prices ranged from €3,500 to €5000.
    I don't have private health insurance.
    And yes needed a referral letter from GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭victor8600

Good to hear! Where did you have it done? Do you mind saying how much it cost? ....

The Hermitage Medical Clinic. I have a VHI, I had to pay only for the consultation, which was around €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 grape3012

Looking into a septoplasty too. Not fully sure how it works.

I have Health Insurance with Laya since September (had it previously for 2 years with Laya but it lapsed over the Summer when I changed jobs) so almost at end of initial 26 week waiting period. Will it be treated as a pre-existing medical condition as it is likely I was likely born with this and have to wait 5 years?

It has gotten really bad recently; my teeth grinding and breathing difficulty at night and post-nasal drip during the day are unbearable. I have also been getting tonsillitis frequently since end of last year unsure if PND related. I first mentioned to Doc in December and got nasal spray but it hasn't helped.

I would hope that the insurance company would take the date of reporting issues with it to doctor as the date of onset of symptoms? I know deviated septums get more problematic as you get older.

Alternatively, was considering going public and availing of the Northern Ireland Planned Healthcare Scheme (think it is same as Cross Border scheme) as I have to money to pay for it upfront but would like to avail of a reimbursement if possible.

Any advice would be appreciated.

what breathing problems does a deviated septum cause besides lack of through put between the tighter clearance in the nose. I read some said breathing issues, Id like to get this done but not if it could make matters worse. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TashxMurray

Hey,

I got a septoplasty just yesterday so thought I'd post.

I had a severe deviated septum.

I'm a longtime boards lurker and never setup an account until today to reply just as an FYI. I'm unsure if I can post the consultant I used?

I went private, did not need a GP referral for this particular consultant and VHI will be covering the cost. Sorry no idea how much it was as I knew it would be covered so didn't ask.

Surgery was in the Royal Eye and Ear Hospital. I went down at 3.30pm, it took about an hour, I was kept in recovery an hour being monitored, an hour on the day ward and then home and all for 7pm.

The pain for me has been pretty mild. A lot of swelling and I have splints in both nostrils, I was given a bandage to put under my nose to catch blood/mucus but once that stops I won't have any bandages.

I am back Tuesday for splints to be removed so will know more then.

My consultant only does septoplasty so if you're looking for septorhinoplasty, make sure your consultant does them.

I will keep you updated with my recovery but so far so good.

Hi Tash,

how are you feeling now? better? worse?

Can I ask how it affected you before or what made you want to get it?
    if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lauralaura63

Tash, could I ask if it took long to get a consult etc. I am on two waiting lists (like yourself I have Laya and this will cover it) both of which have stated it will take over a year to be seen, I’m hoping to have the rhino/septoplasty done as soon as possible as it’s getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ctl0820

Hey,

I got a septoplasty just yesterday so thought I'd post.

I had a severe deviated septum.

I'm a longtime boards lurker and never setup an account until today to reply just as an FYI. I'm unsure if I can post the consultant I used?

I went private, did not need a GP referral for this particular consultant and VHI will be covering the cost. Sorry no idea how much it was as I knew it would be covered so didn't ask.

Surgery was in the Royal Eye and Ear Hospital. I went down at 3.30pm, it took about an hour, I was kept in recovery an hour being monitored, an hour on the day ward and then home and all for 7pm.

The pain for me has been pretty mild. A lot of swelling and I have splints in both nostrils, I was given a bandage to put under my nose to catch blood/mucus but once that stops I won't have any bandages.

I am back Tuesday for splints to be removed so will know more then.

My consultant only does septoplasty so if you're looking for septorhinoplasty, make sure your consultant does them.

I will keep you updated with my recovery but so far so good.

Hi TashxMurray

How was your recovery after septoplasty?
    I'm due to have same done in a few weeks also in Royal Eye and Ear, perhaps the same consultant.
    Im extremely nervous about the recovery part as I've read/heard so many different experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 17 barryo2002

It always worries me when someone has any medical procedure done, posts in a forum "I'll keep you posted" and is never again heard of........ 😶 I'm due to have my deviated septum sorted/straightened soon as already had the 15 minute, 220€ consult. I'll be doing it privately too with VHI but will ask the cost if the opportunity arises.

• Advertisement

Best of luck to anyone getting it done.

Got it done when I was about 20. Made little difference and only seemed to weaken the septum and it continued to deviate.

Went again in my early 30s, explained to the consultant that my septum is so bent that it presses the inside of my nostril and that it needed strengthening rather than weakening. He might as well have told me to go and **** myself tbh. "That's not how it's done" apparently. It's weird because I've seen a lot of people get their nose straightened. 🙄 The only slight benefit was from the burning/removing of the bits at the bottom of the nostrils, can't remember the name of them though.

If I could go back I would have never gotten either surgery. Aftercare was great first time around (was sent up North on HSE after 4 years, more nurses than patients). 2nd time was private and pretty disgraceful really. Wasn't told if I was going home or not, saw no-one afterward about the surgery, was left in room alone and I asked 3 times if I'd be going home. At 10 o'clock a new nurse came into the room and was very surprised anyone was there. Next day I saw no-one after breakfast and pretty much checked myself out around 1pm and had to find a nurse to remove my catheter because no-one noticed or gave a ****. Don't expect any better treatment, care or basic manners if you go private for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I got mine done in January of this year and I was surprised with how little pain I had after it. I was told to take paracetamol for the pain by the nurse/doctor and my family kept saying you will need something stronger but I didn't. I had the plinths in for 2 weeks after the procedure and I couldn't wait to get them removed, they were fine at first but with them in I felt like the procedure wasn't a success.

The day the plinths came out was memorable, 2 snips and the doctor pulled them out in seconds. He then said to blow my nose and to give it welly, the noise from nose was loud and finally I could breathe through my nose again. It was a great feeling walking out in the fresh air and using my nose for the for the first time in year's.

My nose felt delicate for the first few weeks, probably 2-3 months after the op it felt normal again. I can still breathe through it and I am happy I had the procedure done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aidm480

HI my 16 year old son is on a 3 year waiting list to get a Septoplasty done to straighten his nose after a football injury.  We are thinking of going private with him to get it sorted, breathing is uncomfortable and the appearance of the nose is getting him down.   Can anyone recommend a surgeon/Clinic in the Dublin are to get the Septoplasty done. There have been people in the group/forum who have got the operation done, but don’t seem to have posted updates on how they feel +3 months +6 months after the operation and how it all feels and looks.  

I was on the public waiting list and I thought I'd share my post op thoughts!

Had the septoplasty in August 2022. They had said it was a "big job" so I'm glad I got it sorted but probably should have done it sooner (I'm now 36).

It's not 100% as good as the other nostril but definitely improved and my breathing is better too. Don't think I'm snoring as bad either which was one of the main motivating factors to have it done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

I had a septoplasty in 2019. Had it done in the Eye and Ear, after seeing the consultant in the Hermitage. No splints in afterwards, which I found surprising. I found that lying down at night one nostril would get completely blocked. If I turned to my other side that nostril would clear and the other one would get blocked. I was also diagnosed with sleep apnea, and the main reason I had the surgery was in the hope it might help. I found coping with the CPAP machine just impossible. Anyway, after the surgery it seemed to improve for a while, but now I’d say it’s almost as bad as it was. I think it’s probably deviated again, but I honestly don’t feel motivated to go back to the consultant. At this stage I’ve fo4gotten what a good nights sleep feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭kincaid

5 years later and its as bad as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RahulSHrs

Hello It's great to be sometimes we can larn the things doctorss can't tell

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aoifeob13

Hi all!

Has anyone gotten septoplasty with VHI? How much was covered and was the waiting list long?

I have an appointment this week with my doctor to look into it, after suffering rather constant nosebleeds and stuffy, inflamed nose for years…only recently discovered it’s due to my deviated septum.

I’m a little hesitant around the visual changes to a nose after, anyone have experience with this?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I had mine completed this time last year in St Vincent's, the VHI covered it all. I think the wait time was 3 months, but due to cancellations I was lucky to be offered an earlier procedure date.

There is no visual change to my nose, any change was internal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Dodgynose23

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows how long you have to be with VHI to get this done?

I'm thinking of taking out a policy just to get this done.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement