Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work place issue

• 23-02-2021 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Looking for some advice!
    I am a healthcare worker working in a nursing for from 11 May 2020 , I have partner and a 3 year old son who reside in the U.K. due to my parental responsibility I may have to travel since I started this job I travel once in August 2020 for one week which I had to take my vacation to attend to my son . My partner phoned me last week concerning my son and some family matters that we need to address next month which I would need to travel for . I am due 4 weeks vacation this year which I confirmed with my manager last week when I spoke to her about the situation at first and she was a bit aggressive that I was asking for one week leave to attend to my parental responsibility then stated I would need to take all my vacation at one so I can quarantine upon return after the week and that I respect . So I did as she said and put all my days through , today she called me into her office and said that she is not approving my vacation , her reason was that am not travelling for a death or a funeral which I find disrespectful and it came across to me as the only way I will fulfil my parental duties is if my son or a family member of mine is dead . And at the moment the only option I can think of is giving in my resignation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I can understand this is stressful for you.

Your manager is not being very flexible, but it is her right to do that. She gets to decide when you take your holidays.

I don't think you should resign. I think you should approach you manager again. Or perhaps talk to her superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I can understand this is stressful for you.

Your manager is not being very flexible, but it is her right to do that. She gets to decide when you take your holidays.

I don't think you should resign. I think you should approach you manager again. Or perhaps talk to her superior.

It is her right to refuse days but AL can be taken for anything you need it for. That is none of her business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Just leave. Resign and walk out, don't bother serving notice time.

You'll burn a bridge at that place but your skills are in demand big time, you'll find a new job immediately and just state upfront you have a prior requirement to travel in August, You don't need to say why.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It is her right to refuse days but AL can be taken for anything you need it for. That is none of her business.

Not totally true. Some companies have "no overseas travel" policies at the moment, with very good reason.

Also, taking all your leave at once mens you gave none left for any issues during the rest of the year.

OP You may need to reassess how feasible it is to be doing multi country parenting during a worldwide pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Could you ask for some unpaid leave to cover the time off for the quarantine. They don’t have to grant it but it’s worth asking before you hand in your notice. For what it’s worth I also work in healthcare and we can only take a max of two weeks leave at a time. We aren’t able to take unpaid leave. I have family abroad and I haven’t seen them for nearly two years. It is awful but that’s life in a pandemic unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Lucian758 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice!
    I am a healthcare worker working in a nursing for from 11 May 2020 , I have partner and a 3 year old son who reside in the U.K. due to my parental responsibility I may have to travel since I started this job I travel once in August 2020 for one week which I had to take my vacation to attend to my son . My partner phoned me last week concerning my son and some family matters that we need to address next month which I would need to travel for . I am due 4 weeks vacation this year which I confirmed with my manager last week when I spoke to her about the situation at first and she was a bit aggressive that I was asking for one week leave to attend to my parental responsibility then stated I would need to take all my vacation at one so I can quarantine upon return after the week and that I respect . So I did as she said and put all my days through , today she called me into her office and said that she is not approving my vacation , her reason was that am not travelling for a death or a funeral which I find disrespectful and it came across to me as the only way I will fulfil my parental duties is if my son or a family member of mine is dead . And at the moment the only option I can think of is giving in my resignation.

Ok so you want 4 weeks leave in one go . I presume you have a annual leave planner the first question is has anyone else booked holidays in this time period . If so how many people can be on holidays at one time . It may be a case that someone else has booked leave during one of these weeks you have requested and who is to say there need is also not important. It is not as clear cut as you think . 4 weeks leave together in healthcare setting at the minute is very hard to grant for obvious reasons . Are your fellow work mates happy to forgo leave for you to facilitate this or have you asked .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I suppose the issue is, your manager seems to have approved it in principle when she told you she would need you to take leave to quarantine on return. Now that you try to book it, she suddenly decides your reasons are not essential and therefore it's not ok. If they can't give the time due to staffing issues, they can refuse, or if they have a policy for all staff of no international travel in level 5 (for example), what can you do. But giving you the indication it is ok and then expressly telling you you can't because it is not a funeral, etc. does not seem a fair process. You should ask if they have an agreed policy on leave/travel that has changed since last year and when was it approved and notified to staff? Childcare related matters that you may need to attend to can be essential, it's not for us to judge you if you follow quarantine guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, you may be entitled to statutory parental leave. It's a little unclear as you haven't been working a minimum of one year and I can only see a reference to pro rata part time entitlements.

Also you're need to give six weeks notice which isn't enough time in your frame.

As another poster had alluded, if it's serious enough then resign and get another job after.

Advertisement