Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing additional annual leave optics

• 23-02-2021 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was just wondering what are peoples thoughts on purchasing annual leave(unpaid leave for a week). I know from a HR point of view, it will be accepted etc but in the real world how do managers perceive it, are you looked down on for taking it etc. Will it impact your career etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Purchasing annual leave?

That's very weird phrasing for unpaid leave.

As a manager I have no issue with someone taking unpaid leave as long as we've all agreed to it and a plan is in place to handle the workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

Normally unpaid leave is allowed only when existing leave is used up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Could be seen as being unreliable, or not up to the workload hence requireing extra time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Purchasing annual leave?

As a manager I have no issue with someone taking unpaid leave as long as we've all agreed to it and a plan is in place to handle the workload.

Its the way its phrased but yea, its unpaid leave that HR provides.

Could be seen as being unreliable, or not up to the workload hence requireing extra time off.

This is why i mentioned optics of taking this optional benefit.

Im viewing this as a work life balance option and im ok to loose out on a weeks wages but im mindful of what my manager would think by taking this and if it could negatively impact my career within this company.Its a large MNC. Im also mindful of the fact that everyone knows you cant do much in covid and i was considering taking this every year and with lockdown would they be wondering why im wanting this in the first place.

I might be overthinking this but thought id check what other people particularly managers are of this.

• Advertisement

depends on your employer really i suppose. But it wouldn't be common for people to do it so they would definitely be wondering why. Unless you have kids or some other reason why you have to take it, they will be confused as to why you are asking. If i had a request for it I would be confused about it if it was just because, rather than for some particular need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I was offered a role with Visa in London a few years ago and it was advertised as a job perk i.e. buying/selling a/l days. I'd not give it a second thought if I needed it in such a case. I didn't really think much of it at the time as I cannot remember a year that I've not carried at least a couple of days through to the following year so it would have been lost on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If they offer this option then there should be no issues as long as it is agreed in advance.

While it is unpaid leave technically it would normally be booked in advance so slightly different. We have to book it well in advance. Suits people who are getting married or go travelling.

It is booked similarly to holidays (and is added to annual leave entitlement for the year) so it is "guaranteed" while unpaid leave is always at the discretion of manager and can be refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Purchasing annual leave?

Not at all. It's a totally normal phrase in companies that offer a total rem. approach with options what benefits you choose to take.

Re how it is seen, that depends on the company and manager culture. Some, especially American, managers will see it as a sign you are not serious about your career. Others don't mind at all.

My motivation is not for any specific purpose as i do not have children and am recently single. Its more down to my own current financial situation being ok, taxation depletes my net income so i am happy to take a week off and not get paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So are you taking leave to try get your tax down ?

I don't know about you but often unpaid leave would attach reasons for the request specifically from HR. E.g travel. Honeymoon. Looking after family member, wedding.

Do you have a reason if not then you might get unusual response .

I would think it was perfectly fine if the person asking for it had some sort of legitimate reason behind it. such as, children, getting married or honeymoon, college work/exams, a sick family member that they need to care for, or something else specific that requires it.

If someone was asking for no specific reason "just because" I'd be a bit perplexed by it. I'd be confused and wondering. Why do they want this? When when it is for no specific purpose? What are they going to do? Stay in bed for a week or what? Do they realise that we now have to arrange even more cover and rota shuffles just to accommodate their whim of an extra week or 2 off just because they feel like it, and not because they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fol20 wrote: »
    My motivation is not for any specific purpose as i do not have children and am recently single. Its more down to my own current financial situation being ok, taxation depletes my net income so i am happy to take a week off and not get paid.

so does unpaid leave

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

It was extremely commonplace with my last employer (A huge multinational). As an advertised and recognised perk, it was fully accepted by all and managers often bought the max (As the number you could buy was determined by your length of service etc)

Managers care about your performance in the office, not how much you spend outside of it. The only time holidays become a pain point is if you are constantly taking time off during busy periods or giving extremely short notice. Neither of those should be held against you, but they are more commonly seen as 'bad optics'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We get our annual bonus every March and are given the opportunity to purchase additional annual leave from it based on our base salary per day. Lots of people avail of it, nobody thinks any less of anyone doing it - their money, non issue to be honest.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

listermint wrote: »
    So are you taking leave to try get your tax down ?

I don't know about you but often unpaid leave would attach reasons for the request specifically from HR. E.g travel. Honeymoon. Looking after family member, wedding.

Do you have a reason if not then you might get unusual response .

It’s offered to everyone and HR send out a few emails a year about it.

It’s not to get my tax down as it will inherently be down as my gross salary will be less. I meant that given 50pc is taxed. I would value an extra week off rather than working and keeping half of what I earn. As I said work life balance and if I felt it wouldn’t look poorly on me. I would take it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭musicfan1ie

Our place allows employees to purchase or sell annual leave of 5 days every year. Done as a once a year process. I do it every year as its a great perk to get 30 days holidays a year and I'm quite happy to sacrifice the salary.

If for some reason, I don't use the 5 days at the end of the year, I can always sell it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Fol20 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I was just wondering what are peoples thoughts on purchasing annual leave(unpaid leave for a week). I know from a HR point of view, it will be accepted etc but in the real world how do managers perceive it, are you looked down on for taking it etc. Will it impact your career etc?

If it's a perk that's offered it should be fine unless there's a sh/tty culture around holiday anyway. Going from 25>30 days leave in a year or something isn't going to make any difference anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭mojesius

I work for a MNC who offers this as a perk. I've always bought the 5 extra days and have never had to justify it. Even when I was reporting to US managers (where it was not a perk) they didn't ever have an issue.

Once targets/deadlines etc. are achieved and your management are happy with your performance, it's really all that matters. I've postponed annual leave in the past for critical projects, so it's all give and take.

Advertisement