Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric? PHEV? FHEV?

• 22-02-2021 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

Looking to get some opinions on this.

I am looking to buy a used, but fairly new (2017-2020) car.

My daily commute will be roughly 60km round trip to and from the office, mostly on the M3 and M50. Due to the nature of my work, I will have to do some additional city driving and additional motorway driving. I estimate my driving to be the following:
    *350km/week motorway
    *50km/week city

Ideally, I would like to do electric, but that it a lot of miles so I don't know if it is worth my while, or if I should look at a hybrid of some sort.

What would you suggest? Hybrid or fully electric? Lastly, what make and model? I currently drive a Golf and would like something similar.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Do you have a private driveway where you can install a charge point and charge a (PH)EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Foreigner13

KCross wrote: »
    Do you have a private driveway where you can install a charge point and charge a (PH)EV?

I do. I figure with as much driving as I'll be doing, I'll need to charge at least 2-3 times per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Ideally, I would like to do electric, but that it a lot of miles so I don't know if it is worth my while, or if I should look at a hybrid of some sort.

What are your motivations for going electric? Financial, environmental, driving experience (smoothness etc)? All of the above?

Its going to come down to personal choice and budget really.

Every hybrid will work fine for you but you wont see much of a difference other than marginal improvements in fuel costs.

"New" PHEV's will do the vast majority of your daily commute in EV mode with a little petrol. It will give you the benefits of EV driving and the fallback of having a petrol engine for any occasional long journeys you might do during the year.

Any EV in that year range will manage what you have detailed so it would be down to budget and your opinion of the cars and which ones you'd be willing to buy.... Zoe, Leaf, Ioniq, etc, possibly even a second hand eGolf which I'd imagine you'd be very happy with?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What are your longest daily kms, eg go to office, around town and back home...?

Any longer trips during the year e.g. out of the smoke to say Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

What is your budget and single biggest normal repeating journey distance?

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    What are your longest daily kms, eg go to office, around town and back home...?

Any longer trips during the year e.g. out of the smoke to say Galway?

I'd say the longest I'd be doing on any given day would be 90km in one day. But that would only be once per week or so.

Longer trips I would likely just use the current car which will go to my wife unless we end up staying somewhere that has a charger.

Lantus wrote: »
    What is your budget and single biggest normal repeating journey distance?

Hi Lantus.

I'd say the longest I'd be doing on any given day would be 90km in one day. But that would only be once per week or so.

My budget would be €18-25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Hi Lantus.

You are in the realm of full ev. Should be able to get an ev that easily do 150km or more. With mild hybrid your savings will be minimal so I'd discount unless you really want one. Phev is newish and can be expensive. Unless your journey profile requires longer occasional trips it's not required.

Cue the recommendations...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Hi Lantus.

For that kind of budget, having no issue with installing a home charger, having a second car and your daily commute - I’d say an EV is your best choice if you are on the market to change your car.

If your budget is cash you could easily for for an L40 Leaf, 28kwh Hyundai iOniq or even a 2020 Zoe... if you stretch the cash budget a bit with a €15k loan you could get a 64kWh eNiro, eSoul or an L62 Nissan... ID.3 is wishing this, but yet to prove it’s a reliable car (no offense to anyone who’s got it already)

peposhi wrote: »
    For that kind of budget, having no issue with installing a home charger, having a second car and your daily commute - I’d say an EV is your best choice if you are on the market to change your car.

If your budget is cash you could easily for for an L40 Leaf, 28kwh Hyundai iOniq or even a 2020 Zoe... if you stretch the cash budget a bit with a €15k loan you could get a 64kWh eNiro, eSoul or an L62 Nissan... ID.3 is wishing this, but yet to prove it’s a reliable car (no offense to anyone who’s got it already)

Thanks for that. I like the looks of iOniq alright as it's still like a normal car. The Leaf doesn't really excite me to drive. That said, I really like how the eGolf is still just a Golf!

The eNiro is the dream, so that may be the next, next car! I also may just hold off for another year and see if one hits the market.

Being very new to this, is there anything in particular I should be looking for/at when considering a used electric?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Thanks for that. I like the looks of iOniq alright as it's still like a normal car. The Leaf doesn't really excite me to drive. That said, I really like how the eGolf is still just a Golf!

The eNiro is the dream, so that may be the next, next car! I also may just hold off for another year and see if one hits the market.

Being very new to this, is there anything in particular I should be looking for/at when considering a used electric?

What to look for... really depends on what car you want to buy.

My strong advice since you are buying second hand and fairly new to the subject - save yourself tons of worries and time and buy from a respected second hand EV dealer (there are at least two in the country that have been around for years and have excellent reputation). You could even ask them to locate a car based on you preference and budget plus will provide you with tons of info to start with.

Of course you can wait for a year, and another, and another... it’s like buying a laptop... there’s always a better one around the corner.
    Get yourself a nice car now that will save you tons on fuel and maintenance by the time you get to change again. That’s exactly what I did back in 2015 and 6 years later I have one runaround EV and one main long range EV in the family...

Once in an EV, you will soon never looked back and apart from checking the ever fluctuating prices of Dino juice shown on the totem poles at the filling stations you’d never bother looking at them...

Advertisement