Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch Winder Question ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I have a winder, but I dont turn it on mostly ornamental.

Those cheapo winders are OK but the problem is they never let the watch rest. Winders should allow the watches to wind down partially before winding them back up. 2 on and 6 off means the watch never really gets to rest....Is that an issue...probably not.

Really for 3 hand watches, chronos and 3 hand date watches a winder is pointless, setting the watch takes moments. However if you had a complex watch with lost of complications and little pin pushers then they make some sense.

More elaborate winders like Wolf winders allow you to control the TPD (turns per day) and the direction of the turns. Your Tag for instance may be unidirectional. Some watches need 800 counter clockwise, some need 650 bidirectional etc.

Careful that the watches are far apart and cannot touch as they will damage eachother, those cheap ones tend not to hold the watch that rigidly.

General consensus is that unless you have a annual calendar or the likes it not needed. The cheap ones stress the watch more, magnetisation can be an issue on the really cheap ones and those that dont hold the watch vertical are inefficient and can stress the rotor pinion as its not totally free under gravity.

There was an amazing Wolf black Friday sale with 75% off Wolf winders they are not a realistic price without 75% off to be honest. I use mine mostly for display although I had complex watches before that would benefit and will do again.

PXL-20210220-102340355.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I don't use a watch winder but if you have a mains powered one you could always get a cheapo timer switch to have it on/off for X amount of time per day to let it unwind somewhat.

Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Status-Segment-Square-Timer-Switch/dp/B00GP1RQVY/

You'd get 15 minute granularity (which I wouldn't imagine is necessary :D )

This way you could do something like 2 hours a day which might be enough? Fitz makes the good point to check which direction the watch winds in.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Thanks Fitz, will just switch it off and use if for to store and set as I use them....

Advertisement