Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bloodlands

• 19-02-2021 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭

Bloodlands starts on BBC One on Sunday 21st February at 9pm.

The four part series centres around Tom Brannick, a Northern Irish police detective who discovers a possible suicide note in a car that had been left in Strangford Lough, a large sea loch or inlet in County Down.

He soon realises that the note could be linked to an earlier case to which he himself is connected, and what follows is, according to the BBC, a “dogged hunt for a legendary assassin, an explosive cat-and-mouse game where the stakes have never been higher”.

James Nesbitt is joined in the cast is joined by "Derry Girls" star Ian McElhinney, "Top Boy's" Lisa Dwan, "Luther's" Michael Smiley, "The Dig's" Lorcan Cranitch, "Ripper Street's" Charlene McKenna, and "Come Home" star Lola Petticrew.

Written by Chris Brandon, it is being executive produced by Jed Mercurio.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,952 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jed can do no wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

It is the first drama from the newly formed HTM Television.which is co-owned by Hat Trick Productions and Jed Mercuria.

https://www.htmtelevision.com/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jed can do no wrong
    Only a producer though on this one.
    I listened to the pilot TV podcast review of it this week...it was pretty mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

While investigating when a car belonging to a former IRA member is pulled from Strangford Lough, DCI Tom Brannick recognises the calling card of a serial killer from 20 years ago known as Goliath - one of whose victims was the detective's wife. Despite opposition from old friend DCS Jackie Twomey, Brannick and partner DS Niamh McGovern break open the cold case in the hope that it will help them. Crime thriller, starring James Nesbitt, with Charlene McKenna and Lorcan Cranitch.
    Director: Pete Travis
    Starring: James Nesbitt, Lorcan Cranitch, Lisa Dwan, Ian McElhinney, Charlene McKenna, Lola Petticrew

The first episode was on BBC tonight.

Anyone else watch?

Looks like it could get interesting. I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

About 20 mins in and we are liking it here anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Enjoyable alright,how many episodes in it?

Enjoyable alright,how many episodes in it?

4 I think.
    Just finished ep 1 and it was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,952 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Weird seeing Jock from The Young Offenders in a serious Garda role

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Utterly utterly dreadful. Cliché after cliché.

The part on the island was laughable. Half the man power of the PSNI were on this small island digging tiny holes and no one thought to look for another tree or the location of the farm. Then Nesbitt (Pulling faces is not acting) is transported to another location chasing some car (we are not told why) whilst the dig continues.

Directing editing and acting were so so bad.

OldRio wrote: »
    chasing some car (we are not told why)

The car had the Number Plates that been removed from the jeep found submerged at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Then Nesbitt (Pulling faces is not acting)

he's been pulling faces all his career, he's fine as a comedy actor i.e. Cold Feet, but in serious roles he's just not convincing

brian_t wrote: »
    The car had the Number Plates that been removed from the jeep found submerged at the start.

Thanks Brian. We must have missed that with all the giggling going on in the house. Was Nesbitt using a teleportation device to go from the island to chasing a car or is he a fast swimmer? We need to know.

In fact we don't. We will not be returning.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,969 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

though John Hannah was pretty good in this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I found the first episode quite predictable - far from Line of Duty's quality - although still a decent product

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭onrail

Mildly enjoyable in a 'I recognise that street' sort of way, but not a high quality production at all.

The bit on the island made no sense whatsoever.

Thanks Brian. We must have missed that with all the giggling going on in the house. Was Nesbitt using a teleportation device to go from the island to chasing a car or is he a fast swimmer? We need to know.

In fact we don't. We will not be returning.

No, he was ordered off the Island by his superior officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mildly entertaining

but cop whose wife killed by an "assassin" and now assassin implicated in new crime. cop left on case ?????

scene on island - ridiculous, cop starts randomly digging holes whilst geophys team start about their work

oh and how did they uncover those bodies in an afternoon !

although with only 4 episodes at least its moving on (unlike the serpent wished that was 4 episodes)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

Utterly utterly dreadful. Cliché after cliché.

The part on the island was laughable. Half the man power of the PSNI were on this small island digging tiny holes and no one thought to look for another tree or the location of the farm. Then Nesbitt (Pulling faces is not acting) is transported to another location chasing some car (we are not told why) whilst the dig continues.

Directing editing and acting were so so bad.

It was quite clunky. No proper procedural work on the missing man; superior warns off Nesbitt from investigating the old cases, whereupon he and his partner immediately, and in the darkness of the evening seemingly, go and do just that. Nesbitt gets off the island, randomly goes off to Queens to meet his daughter (why?), joins up in a suspect pursuit, and ends up back on the island in the course of a day. Hectic going. And why must Charlene McKenna always wear an expression of perpetual anguish? Hopefully the denouement (romantic included) will be different from the way we are already being pointed in. I'm going to stick with it though because I've liked Lorcan Cranitch ever since Cracker.

'Cracker' that's a blast from the past. Excellent series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Very clunky low budget by the book stuff complete with Idiots Guide to "the Troubles and it's Legacy" exposition for the mainland audience! Just slap on a blue filter like it's 2010-12 again, look moody, have a flashback or two. Playing spot the actor from all the other Northern Ireland made dramas was the highlight.

• Advertisement

Is the Doctor going to be a love interest for Nesbitts character. That could be awkard when his wife turns up alive in part four. (Not a spoiler !)

'Cracker' that's a blast from the past. Excellent series.
    Currently repeated on Virgin Media Three. Season 2 starts on Sunday March 7th at 10.15pm.

It's no line of duty, and it's all a bit on the nose...literally they are explaining every single plot point...in detail....clichés all over the shop.
    But I do like the little northern Ireland sayings (accents a tad wobbly in places), will probably stick with it as it's only 4 episodes...but its just ok so far.
    Good cast, but feels a bit low rent.

fryup wrote: »
    he's been pulling faces all his career, he's fine as a comedy actor i.e. Cold Feet, but in serious roles he's just not convincing
    I think that's a tad harsh he is decent in some dramatic stuff as well.
    Five minutes in heaven is a pretty decent film and he is good in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

gmisk wrote: »
    Agree. In The Missing - for example

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    While investigating when a car belonging to a former IRA member is pulled from Strangford Lough, DCI Tom Brannick recognises the calling card of a serial killer from 20 years ago known as Goliath - one of whose victims was the detective's wife. Despite opposition from old friend DCS Jackie Twomey, Brannick and partner DS Niamh McGovern break open the cold case in the hope that it will help them. Crime thriller, starring James Nesbitt, with Charlene McKenna and Lorcan Cranitch.
    Director: Pete Travis
    Starring: James Nesbitt, Lorcan Cranitch, Lisa Dwan, Ian McElhinney, Charlene McKenna, Lola Petticrew

The first episode was on BBC tonight.

Anyone else watch?

Looks like it could get interesting. I enjoyed it.

Yeah, I enjoyed it also but the dialogue was a bit clunky and there's much basic exposition explaining stuff to an English audience. Nesbitt and cast are very good though the bit about him searching the office of the missing guy was a bit daft. Quick revenge from yer wan from Derry Girls.

I think it'll improve over the next three weeks but it's not as sharply written nor edited as Line of Duty or The Bodyguard. Though it'll probably end up being as daft as both.

MfMan wrote: »
    It was quite clunky. No proper procedural work on the missing man; superior warns off Nesbitt from investigating the old cases, whereupon he and his partner immediately, and in the darkness of the evening seemingly, go and do just that. Nesbitt gets off the island, randomly goes off to Queens to meet his daughter (why?), joins up in a suspect pursuit, and ends up back on the island in the course of a day. Hectic going. And why must Charlene McKenna always wear an expression of perpetual anguish? Hopefully the denouement (romantic included) will be different from the way we are already being pointed in. I'm going to stick with it though because I've liked Lorcan Cranitch ever since Cracker.

Beacause, inevitably, his daughter will be kidnapped by Goliath.

gmisk wrote: »
    Five minutes in heaven is a pretty decent film and he is good in it.

He was excellent in Bloody Sunday. Impressive in Resurrection Man, Welcome to Sarajevo & Coriolanus also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Was looking forward to this but felt a bit underwhelmed. I'll keep watching but with Jock from the Young Offenders with his terrible accent and worse hair, it will be hard to take seriously. One to just relax to in the evening I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Beacause, inevitably, his daughter will be kidnapped by Goliath.

But she had already been introduced as a character. He's in hot water with his boss and had just been hauled off the island. In light of this, you would think he'd keep his mind on his work, instead of heading of into the Uni' in the city. Small point I know....

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    But she had already been introduced as a character. He's in hot water with his boss and had just been hauled off the island. In light of this, you would think he'd keep his mind on his work, instead of heading of into the Uni' in the city. Small point I know....

They're establishing the bond between father and daughter for dramatic purposes. It signposts her involvement later on, and that can only really mean her being kidnapped by Goliath.

Advertisement