Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorway Tr@mp

Options
  • 19-02-2021 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Travelling Cork to Dublin twice a week for the next few years, so will be covering 1000km+ per week. Obviously not expecting any re-sale value and I'll probably run it in until some catastrophic failure.

Max budget: €16000
    Min Year: 2015
    Full service history.
    No SUV type.
    2 litre engine minimum and I'm not too worried about tax.

Also, something with a very nice spec as I'll be spending so much time in it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

When you say very nice spec, what do you drive at the moment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Travelling Cork to Dublin twice a week for the next few years, so will be covering 1000km+ per week. Obviously not expecting any re-sale value and I'll probably run it in until some catastrophic failure.

Full service history.
    No SUV type.

Thanks.

No expert but I’d say Skoda Superb must be a good option there

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

colm_mcm wrote: »
    When you say very nice spec, what do you drive at the moment ?

A BMW s1000xr. Forced to buy a car now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

benji79 wrote: »
    No expert but I’d say Skoda Superb must be a good option there

Was going to suggest one myself but so many of them are already high mileage its hard to find a high spec low mileage one within budget especially with the 2 litre engine

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Vw passat estate,skoda superb estate or audi A6.why would you not consider an suv they are way more comfortable and I believe when people change over from a car to an suv there's no going back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Volvo s60/v60 ..plenty of poke..its of toys and the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a car

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

forestgirl wrote: »
    and I believe when people change over from a car to an suv there's no going back

you would believe wrong, hate the OH's SUV give me my estate any day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Iarnród Éireann is what I’d be considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Renault Kadjar.

• Advertisement

I would probably spend half the budget twice.
    50k a year would be hard on a car. Now that said, a 16k car is nicer, but maybe factor in cost of maintenance which will be more expensive on a premium car.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

Full service history.
    No SUV type.

Thanks.

I used to change cars almost annually until I bought an E250cdi used with low mileage, kept it six years, power, economy, no maintenance outside of servicing, interior showed no signs of wear.

Your budget gets you a good E220d with the 7 speed gearbox, these cars are capable of huge mileage once maintained.

whatever you buy make sure it has cruise control.

pale rider wrote: »
    I used to change cars almost annually until I bought an E250cdi used with low mileage, kept it six years, power, economy, no maintenance outside of servicing, interior showed no signs of wear.

Your budget gets you a good E220d with the 7 speed gearbox, these cars are capable of huge mileage once maintained.

whatever you buy make sure it has cruise control.

Thanks for that, I haven't even thought to look at any Mercedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Radar cruise would be a must for me, and heated electrically adjustable VERY comfy seats(this really depends on each person)

Volvo's and Skoda Superb both worth a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

You'll want something comfortable without a doubt, I'd recommend a Pug 508 2l hdi

Good choice out there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Did a 3500km round trip between Dublin and Milan last summer via the UK and ferry over to Holland then straight run down to Milan in one day and then back 3 days later.

Just picked up a Skoda Superb a few weeks before hand and honestly couldn't fault it at all.

2.0TDi, 6 speed auto box, cruise control. Pure joy to drive. Its a 2014 model, 96k kms on clock when I picked it up, drove like new and very frugal on the juice. Didn't feel tired at all after the drive which was a nice surprise.

Would definitely be up there with my recommendations along with the E220d as also mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I wouldn't be getting anything other than an auto will make your life a bit easier on the long commute.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be getting anything other than an auto will make your life a bit easier on the long commute.

Stick it in 6th in Cork, change gear at the toll bridge and when you get to Dublin.

I'm liking the idea of a Skofa Superb. Would I be mad to get one with 140k km - 160k km?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I'm liking the idea of a Skofa Superb. Would I be mad to get one with 140k km - 160k km?

Not really but you'll have to make sure it's got a good Service History.

I always loved the idea of a Superb until I drove one. Took out a 170bhp model last year and couldn't much tell the difference between it and my Avensis. Obviously nice to be in but it felt and drove the same.

• Advertisement

I don’t think you’d be buying trouble necessarily, but keep in mind that putting 50k a year on will bring it to what’s considered high mileage very quickly.

I would be more inclined to find a lower mileage example.

That said - I have a Skoda with that sort of mileage and it’s A1. Motorway driving is the easiest driving a car will do in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

LCI E60 535d and be away with it. Plenty power and decent MPGs

Have my eye on a few cars at the moment. I'm just wondering what kind of money, if any, can be haggled off of a €20k+ car from a dealer?

If it’s an Irish dealer then there’s nearly always discount built into the asking price.

As always, it’s best to figure out first how well the car is priced relative to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Volvo S60s are lovely. The bohr gas on and it it so smooth and quiet on the road and he loves driving it. The seats are so comfy too and they are very classy. Much nicer than a VW. The Skoda Superb is a big spacious car and no doubt great for cruising but not a drivers car. No VW made cars are drivers cars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I would probably spend half the budget twice.
    50k a year would be hard on a car. Now that said, a 16k car is nicer, but maybe factor in cost of maintenance which will be more expensive on a premium car.

I'm with Colm here. Spend less. Maybe even luxo barge stuff since you don't care about tax and drive her till she expires. Then get the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

Full service history.
    No SUV type.

Thanks.

What did you go with ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

A BMW s1000xr. Forced to buy a car now unfortunately.

Test drove one of those before. Nice bike. Will you keep it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Buy this and save a fortune
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-audi-a6-new-nct/27414825
    Shame its not auto, but the autos on these are not the best anyway.
    You can get cruise control retrofitted to these for a couple of hundred.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Buy this and save a fortune
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-audi-a6-new-nct/27414825
    Shame its not auto, but the autos on these are not the best anyway.
    You can get cruise control retrofitted to these for a couple of hundred.

Love those Audis but that guy is dreaming with that price.

The autos did give trouble so stick to a manual and it's easy to retrofit cruise control.

That car is easily good for another 100k miles if the mechanicals are in good nick.

Advertisement