Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home Golf Simulator

• 06-05-2020 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi decided to share my set up, as I've been asked a few times on different platforms, might help someone thinking of doing something similar, If you've any questions just ask and i'll try to help if I can, I've found The Golf Simulator forum a great resource as well groups on Facebook: Skytrak User's & TGC2019 SkyTrak Users & Garage Golf Simulator (Youtube & Facebook)

My setup:
    Sim : Skytrak Golf Sim €1500
    Screen: Carl's Place 7.5 x 13.5ft Premium Screen €900 delivery & duty
    Projector: Optoma GT1080 Darbee €500
    Mat: 2mx2m 30mm Nylon tee Rangeking.ie €300
    Sim Software: Skytrak Range free but €100 per year licence
    TGC2019 €840 lifetime usage

Both the Screen & Sim were sourced in the US,
    The Sim was a reconditioned unit from Skytrak directly last November,
    The screen was bought online & shipped using AddressPal
    The enclosure I made myself using 1" Steel Electrical Conduit and sourced the fittings from Equipashop.ie 25mm couplings. €140
    I then got Black material from a local shop to make the enclosure. €50

This was originally 2 sheds I made into 1 the flooring is interlocking floor mats from Halfords and I used Insulated plaster board on all the walls,
    The room is 4mx4m and 3.2m high which is loads of room for swinging driver & full Lob wedges. Ill add some photo's if anyone has any questions feel free to ask :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SOR2010

Some Pictures

Was lucky to get a stand from a local shop

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Any chance of a ballpark figure?

Any chance of a ballpark figure?

I’ll update the original post but including a good pc for TGC2019 about €4K so it depends on what you want to use it for,
    Skytrak software will work fine on an iPad / iPhone if you just want to practice but once you try playing it’s hard to go to the range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Well done. Looks excellent. Does it include driving range and a chance to play other courses.

Well done. Looks excellent. Does it include driving range and a chance to play other courses.

Yes the Skytrak has a range as the basic free package, €100 /year gets you a Game improvement package which has bag mapping, wedge matrix & target practice, I find this excellent, €200 gets you 5 courses on WGT which is an iOS software, I’ve tried this and it’s ok

TGC19 on the other hand is excellent 100k+ courses online play, tournaments and you can design your own courses, I went with the lifetime sub which was €850

You can be up and running with Skytrak for about €3k new just depends if you want a screen or not, in a couple of months they’ll drop back in price

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Many thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Lovely set up, but is it worth it? Did you improve much? Can you play fades and draw shots on it?

I’ve got the space but I’m not sure if I’ll use it enough. Have pool, darts and gym and they are rarely used!

But I still want it! Lol

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Lovely set up, but is it worth it? Did you improve much? Can you play fades and draw shots on it?

I’ve got the space but I’m not sure if I’ll use it enough. Have pool, darts and gym and they are rarely used!

But I still want it! Lol

You can play Fade’s Draw’s Stingers Flops even Shanks! Lol

I have definitely improved I practice 3-4 times a week sometimes only 20mins sometimes 2 hours, play on line tournaments, or just go and do some practice on the range,
    Since December I’ve changed my swing and am definitely more consistent with Driver,

I won my first Club Comp in March in the first comp of the year and just outside the top 5 the next week, then Covid ended that!

It’s great to try things out, new swing or just trying to hit different shots

One of the reasons I got this is I want to try to get to single figures in 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You jammy whammy, lovely setup, well worth the effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Great set up, would love to have something similar in a year or two ðŸ™ðŸ™

2 questions..1. did you contact skytrak directly about reconditioned units or did you see an offer?

2. If a left handed golfer wants to use your one, how awkward would it be to move the unit so it suited their swing?

Im asking because I play left handed so if any friends came over, the unit would have to move to accommodate them.

Thanks

I saw them on their website, they regularly sell them with 6-12months warranty.

You would need to rotate the Skytrak for left & right players, some guys use a ”lazy susan”
    another option is the Mevo+ which reads from behind like a Trackman, these are supposed to be great for outdoors but some guy’s aren’t impressed for indoors, you also need space for this set up about 15ft min from your screen, but guys are saying closer to 18 works best.

I’ve seen guys marking the ground with the location of the Skytrak for quick rotation

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

SOR2010 wrote: »
    I saw them on their website, they regularly sell them with 6-12months warranty.

You would need to rotate the Skytrak for left & right players, some guys use a ”lazy susan”
    another option is the Mevo+ which reads from behind like a Trackman, these are supposed to be great for outdoors but some guy’s aren’t impressed for indoors, you also need space for this set up about 15ft min from your screen, but guys are saying closer to 18 works best.

I’ve seen guys marking the ground with the location of the Skytrak for quick rotation

I was going to suggest wiring in two locations/points for the unit, each marked out. Then you can just pick it up and move it and not have to faff with cables etc. Though I guess it would probably be fine on batteries, I think its 5hrs or so?

GreeBo wrote: »
    I was going to suggest wiring in two locations/points for the unit, each marked out. Then you can just pick it up and move it and not have to faff with cables etc. Though I guess it would probably be fine on batteries, I think its 5hrs or so?

Yeah the battery life is very good, I use the USB connected to the pc “Direct Mode” as the gaming pc doesn’t have WiFi and it’s not an issue for me to have to move it, mind you the wife’s a Lefty!

Once it’s fully charged just rotate it it’s very easy once you align it for each location

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

is internet essential after the software is downloaded.

plumber77 wrote: »
    is internet essential after the software is downloaded.

Only for online game play,
    The Skytrak range does not require internet and will connect to to an iPad or pc via its own WiFi and you can practice there.

I started with none, then wired a line to the shed, once I had a good speed I got TGC19 and started playing online, I had tried WGT but TGC is streets ahead.

It’s great to be able to go and hit 30-60 balls within a few mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

That's great. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Do u come set up my one for me please? Are u in cork?!!!

What dimensions would you need?

bailey99 wrote: »
    Do u come set up my one for me please? Are u in cork?!!!

What dimensions would you need?

Not in Cork unfortunately but it is an easy enough to set up yourself,
    I’ve about 16ft x 17ft but once you can swing a driver you have enough space, I’ve seen some guys set up in 10ft wide space,

How much room have you?

• Advertisement

Some update pictures of my set up, I’ve added stage curtains & cinema chairs, it’s great for movie nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

That is class! If only I had the space!!

We are gona try build on an extension to make a play room for the kids, I will be making sure any extension has a 10 ft ceiling just in case I can incorporate something like this in it at some stage

redzerdrog wrote: »
    That is class! If only I had the space!!

We are gona try build on an extension to make a play room for the kids, I will be making sure any extension has a 10 ft ceiling just in case I can incorporate something like this in it at some stage

Definitely do! That fact that it doubles as a cinema is a great feature too,
    Decent screen & projector make it fun for all the family! Great selling point to the financial controller! :D

It was great in the first lockdown for family nights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

How does the putting part work then? Or is all drivers and irons?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimbee

Has anyone bought the mevo plus? I built a cage net in my garden and heard reports that skytrak is not great outdoors so that's why I'm looking at the mevo plus.
    It's roughly €2100 all in 5 golf courses but you need to have IOS which is putting me off as I'm very much android geek.

franglan wrote: »
    How does the putting part work then? Or is all drivers and irons?

Sorry Fran I must of missed this,
    Putting is ok takes some getting used too!
    In TGC19 you can set putts to read straight only but you still need to pick line, If there is a break it will still break it's only STRAIGHT in the sense of the stroke!

Lots of competitions online have putting on with 2 yard gimmes

Jimbee wrote: »
    Has anyone bought the mevo plus? I built a cage net in my garden and heard reports that skytrak is not great outdoors so that's why I'm looking at the mevo plus.
    It's roughly €2100 all in 5 golf courses but you need to have IOS which is putting me off as I'm very much android geek.

Check out Mevo Plus groups on Facebook or golfsimulatorforum.com you'll get loads of info there, I looked at the Mevo+ but I was tight with the room for indoors as it's a radar device not sure about hitting into a net but I'm sure you'll get the info in the above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Jimbee wrote: »

I’ve ordered one and it will be another 6 weeks before I get it.
    I went with it because of the outdoor option. I don’t think the Skytrak works in direct sunlight.
    There’s not much between the 2 so if you have the room I’d go with the Mevo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I went with it because of the outdoor option. I don’t think the Skytrak works in direct sunlight.

Where did you order from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimbee

Speaking about skytrak and the sunlight issue I wonder if its a major problem in Ireland as we wouldn't get the sun like the USA for instance, and most of these forms are USA based. Would a sun umbrella be enough to make it work outdoors.

Advertisement