Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

buying cabin cruiser from uk/france advice and price comparisons

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jeeves1847

Hi, I’m looking at some boats in the U.K. but would be very grateful for some some help on the post Brexit transition and VAT situation. If you import a second hand boat from the U.K. will I need to pay VAT when I bring it into Ireland or is it considered EU VAT paid under the Brexit Free Trade Agreement.

It’s a second hand inland cruiser valued around €40k.

Many thanks in advance for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Tow

The current understand is you will pay Irish VAT on second hand goods.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Tow wrote: »
    The current understand is you will pay Irish VAT on second hand goods.

My understanding is that the boat would be sold VAT free and you would then pay VAT on entry into Ireland. You also would be liable for Excise /Duty. However, on a second-hand boat it is possible that you could avoid VAT if it is bought in Northern Ireland.

For a purchase that size I would ask Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jeeves1847

Mick Tator wrote: »
    My understanding is that the boat would be sold VAT free and you would then pay VAT on entry into Ireland. You also would be liable for Excise /Duty. However, on a second-hand boat it is possible that you could avoid VAT if it is bought in Northern Ireland.

For a purchase that size I would ask Revenue.

Thanks for the help and insight. I’ll contact revenue and see what the situation is. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

I am looking at buying a small boat in the UK which I will collect.
    It is UK VAT paid so would I just need to pay any difference between Irish and UK VAT?
    The boat is £14000
    I have brought plenty of boats from the UK in the past and no issues but that was before Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Tow

It is not the different between VAT rates. If the boat is new, they can sell it to you without VAT. You will pay Irish VAT (and Duty) on Import to Ireland. If the boat is second hand (private sale), you will pay Irish VAT and Duty on Import into Ireland. The reality is people will be looking further afield to Europe must more than before.

Back in the 90's(?) Revenue left letters in the Dun Laoghaire Yacht Clubs addressed to the owners of a number of yachts, inquiring about their 'tax status'. These were left knocking around in the various clubs for ages, as on one wanted to collect their letter.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Guys be aware that there are lots of scams going around, unless you can see the boat in the flesh or have somebody independant inspect it for you don't part with money

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113781505

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

I purchased a 23' Shetland black prince. Early 80s solid well built though dated. It has the v6 mercruiser 4.3 with alpha gen2 outdrive. 300hrs when I bought it. I bought in the north last year after searching for quite a while. I have it on a trailer as for me being able to winterize, store , tow and explore other areas without the added costs of mooring etc and being able to work on it is a must for me. I tow it with no issues. The petrol v6 engine is trouble free and can move it quickly if needed, parts are reasonable and fuel consumption is ok for the hours I put on it. Diesel versions are more expensive to purchase. It has a toilet and 2 burner gas stove. Ill add a small 12v/gas fridge in the new year. Im intending on getting a suitcase generator for 220v if needed.

My suggestion is find a boat type/ layout that works for you and suits, then shop for the best you can.

Prices are higher here I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

jetfiremuck,
    That Shetland sounds great. What do you need the generator for? If it's just for charging phones, tablets, etc. I would look at getting better batteries and fitting some USB sockets and maybe get a small invertor if required. A suitcase generator can be very noisy and can annoy other boaters moored nearby. I know the latest Honda's are very quiet but expensive.
    It's better to keep things simple. You could also fit a solar panel on the roof.

Donie75 wrote: »
    jetfiremuck,
    That Shetland sounds great. What do you need the generator for? If it's just for charging phones, tablets, etc. I would look at getting better batteries and fitting some USB sockets and maybe get a small invertor if required. A suitcase generator can be very noisy and can annoy other boaters moored nearby. I know the latest Honda's are very quiet but expensive.
    It's better to keep things simple. You could also fit a solar panel on the roof.

Have inverters etc. Honda 2200i is part of my go kit. 240v can run battery charger, etc. Gives me piece of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 sarahstrikes

Ok so just an update here, i have been refreshing literally everyday on done deal appollo etc. And it seems now that what i thought i could get for my budget is being blown out of the water by the covid situation and everyone buying up boats at inflated prices. My budget isnt massive by any means but ive been saving every penny i have to get us on the water and i think i may have to finance along with it at this stage which i really wanted to avoid. Im looking for a flybridge with aft cabin back in the years which seems to be the go to for everyone buying at the minute. Daily i swing between holding out for another year when the market gets flooded with all these boats that nobody wants to moor or maintain anymore and the other part of me is wondering would i get a cruiser with coastal cruising ability over from france on water with my dad who has sea skipper qualifications. Anyway sorry this is probably more of a rant than anything else but ill keep ye posted with any updates. Its great to hear everyones opinions and updates on the brexit situation which im pretty sure rules the uk out for buying at the minute.

Ok so just an update here, i have been refreshing literally everyday on done deal appollo etc. And it seems now that what i thought i could get for my budget is being blown out of the water by the covid situation and everyone buying up boats at inflated prices. My budget isnt massive by any means but ive been saving every penny i have to get us on the water and i think i may have to finance along with it at this stage which i really wanted to avoid. Im looking for a flybridge with aft cabin back in the years which seems to be the go to for everyone buying at the minute. Daily i swing between holding out for another year when the market gets flooded with all these boats that nobody wants to moor or maintain anymore and the other part of me is wondering would i get a cruiser with coastal cruising ability over from france on water with my dad who has sea skipper qualifications. Anyway sorry this is probably more of a rant than anything else but ill keep ye posted with any updates. Its great to hear everyones opinions and updates on the brexit situation which im pretty sure rules the uk out for buying at the minute.

Dont give up looking . They do pop up and you have to be ready to move. That has been my experience.

Dont give up looking . They do pop up and you have to be ready to move. That has been my experience.

Thank you jetfiremuck that gives me some hope. Im hoping that will be the case, im a big believer in whats for me wont pass me but i also need to be ready for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

There were a couple of Birchwood TS37's in Carrick on Shannon late last summer. The prices may be a bit softer now if still unsold (no connection with vendors). You might have a look.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i know one of those sold for definite, it's moored up across from us down in tipp now

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Roadtoad wrote: »
    There were a couple of Birchwood TS37's in Carrick on Shannon late last summer. The prices may be a bit softer now if still unsold (no connection with vendors). You might have a look.

There was one last year for sale at the end of our jetty. I took a picture of it at the time and had to dig through the months to find it - the number on it is 087-665-4557

It's a big boat - I have a side on pic of it if you want me to email it to you.

Thank you everyone for your input and help. I managed to finally find a suitable family cruiser. I am buying from a family member who wasn't aware I was looking until I got myself into a position to buy and started putting the word out so I know the history of the boat and will be able to refer to him with questions and tips. It is an older boat no doubt but I really feel I can put my stamp on it and make it work for our family. I have settled on a berth and have started the process for insurance etc. and am hoping to move it up closer to me next weekend as I have started making my list of improvements and want to get stuck in straight away. I have no doubt this is going to be a happy all be it an expensive and time consuming journey into boat ownership. Thank you everyone for your help and advice and I have no doubt I will be looking for more help and advice in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Thank you everyone for your input and help. I managed to finally find a suitable family cruiser. I am buying from a family member who wasn't aware I was looking until I got myself into a position to buy and started putting the word out so I know the history of the boat and will be able to refer to him with questions and tips. It is an older boat no doubt but I really feel I can put my stamp on it and make it work for our family. I have settled on a berth and have started the process for insurance etc. and am hoping to move it up closer to me next weekend as I have started making my list of improvements and want to get stuck in straight away. I have no doubt this is going to be a happy all be it an expensive and time consuming journey into boat ownership. Thank you everyone for your help and advice and I have no doubt I will be looking for more help and advice in the future.

The happiest day of a boatowners life! Enjoy it all.
    Hope the kids become the best of river rats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

That Birchwood TS37 is back on the market. https://www.apolloduck.ie/boat/birchwood-ts37-for-sale/643402

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

By any chance you didn't park it up for the first time on Sunday did you?if you did, I'm on the boat next door

Advertisement