Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway RNLI rescue swimmer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Well done to the pedestrian who's spotted the swimmer in trouble !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

what sort of clown goes swimming yesterday ffs.

No problem with confident swimmers getting in yesterday but this is bad form;

"Some swimmers remained in the water as Rescue 115 continued its search along the shoreline in Salthill."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

No problem with confident swimmers getting in yesterday but this is bad form;

"Some swimmers remained in the water as Rescue 115 continued its search along the shoreline in Salthill."

That's a special kind of fukin stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This deserves a Gervais "ooh you're hard" meme.

• Advertisement

Well done RNLI, coastguard and other services - coordinated responses for water incidents in Galway is really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah lads ffs, can you not focus on the positives of the story without being so judgemental!?
    Is this the new Covid Irish way?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Ah lads ffs, can you not focus on the positives of the story without being so judgemental!?
    Is this the new Covid Irish way?

needless situation.... i beleive that is the angle here. Given the weather, the person was missing their two cents that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Laviski wrote: »
    needless situation.... i beleive that is the angle here. Given the weather, the person was missing their two cents that day.

What weather? There was yellow warning and a bit of breeze. Nothing extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Were you in Salthill when it happened I was, there were very large waves lashing rain and it was a gale blowing certainly not as you put it a breeze . The conditions were not a day for a swim .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Yeah it was just fine..

https://afloat.ie/safety/lifeboats/item/49414-sea-swimmer-rescued-by-galway-rnli-in-southerly-gale-off-salthill

Met Éireann's sea area forecast from 12 noon today had warned of gale-force eight to nine southerly winds for all coastal waters, including the Irish Sea.

RNLI Galway's deputy launch authority Shane Folan noted that there were "very challenging weather conditions, with high winds and breaking surf".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

This is such a ridiculous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Obviously there was some amazing microclimate going on in Salthill on Saturday, which caused the weather to be so much worse than it was in town.

My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Obviously there was some amazing microclimate going on in Salthill on Saturday, which caused the weather to be so much worse than it was in town.

My bad.

Funny enough I was in the City before heading to Salthill and it was wet and windy, it was very windy in Salthill with driving rain when the Lifeboat and Helicopter arrived at Salthill.

My bad.

I think it's in town you'll find the calm microclimate, being surrounded by tall buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

I actually went for a swim at about 10 am Saturday morning and it was very calm! I could not believe how wild it was 2 hours later, glad all ended well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I think it's in town you'll find the calm microclimate, being surrounded by tall buildings.

Tall buildings act like wind tunnels and can make weather seem worse

timmyntc wrote: »

Depends entirely on the direction of the wind and the street - they can also (and are more likely to) do the opposite.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Tall buildings with straight, open streets.

Galway's narrow, not straight or closed off at either end streets break the wind.

It's almost as if the Normans planned it that way.

Advertisement