Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Valheim (EA )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Dcully wrote: »
    48 hours into my solo world ive had a blast but with just one boss left im finding the game turning into a building game which is a shame for me personally.
    Ive nothing left to do but to sail to the final boss and kill him then theres nothing left but turn to improving my bases which doesnt really interest me.
    However im looking forward to new biomes,bosses,gear as the game evolves in the future.

Yeah whilst I'm enjoying building I don't like building for the sake of it. I'd prefer if those random events were more meaningful and real defenses needed to be employed rather than spending days making a castle for no real reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Suppose the base building is more relevant if you were on a PvP server

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i'm in the iron age now and it's gotten really grindy. the thought of all that iron for gear and crafting bench upgrades is offputting, especially when i know i will need to go through the same thing again for silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i love the look of it but i found it really boring after a few day's especially when you get stuck on a raft and have to wait on the wind to change direction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

froog wrote: »
    i'm in the iron age now and it's gotten really grindy. the thought of all that iron for gear and crafting bench upgrades is offputting, especially when i know i will need to go through the same thing again for silver.

Haha I'm at that point just hunting deer to equip myself for the first boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Lone Stone wrote: »
    i love the look of it but i found it really boring after a few day's especially when you get stuck on a raft and have to wait on the wind to change direction :D

Drop down to paddle gear and well it may take a while but you get there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Lone Stone wrote: »

Just press the "W" key once for one arrow and you will always be able to sail at a decent pace until the wind changes, even if its head on against you. Its not like you are stuck having to wait for it to swing around.

;)

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just press the "W" key once for one arrow and you will always be able to sail at a decent pace until the wind changes, even if its head on against you. Its not like you are stuck having to wait for it to swing around.

;)

A raft at full speed even with the wind behind it is slow AF. Genuinely better off just using it to cross a river if needs be and carry on on foot. Even the middle boat is slow enough that I can't use it for any length of time without losing my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

I wonder will this come to consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Having fun with this. I'm just at the Copper stage now, in between boss 1 and 2. I have a couple of questions on House building \ Boats if anyone knows the answers.

Should you have one main base and then a series of subbases? I seem to be spending a lot of time, trying to get my resources from one location to another at the moment. It's difficult trying to upgrade all workbenchs etc. and I found that while I was at my second base, the first one started falling apart.

Should your main base be near water and how important are boats?

I found an old stone tower. How important are stone buildings vs wooden buildings?

Is Base defence important? I haven't been attacked yet but should I be factoring that in?

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have one base with everything there, its right beside the sea and i use a longboat to get to/from other islands and transport stuff back to base to craft there.
    I found this the best way, ive completed everything in the game now and nothing left to do.
    I thought base defence would be important so i stoned of my wooden fences but there is no need as it doesnt get attacked if your not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

What’s the game like visually? Any comparable games in that sense?

I looked at a few twitch videos and it looks quite blocky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Iguarantee wrote: »

I think it looks gorgeous and last game I played was cyberpunk 2077 on high settings.
    It's a little blocky but has a very nice aesthetic, trees and water are very pretty but with a game like this in that every structure of land can be dug up or destroyed it has to make some sacrifices on the graphics front. Seriously after 20 mins playing it, how it looks is the last thing on your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The Elder is dead,had to sail to a different island to a place he spawns which took awhile. Setup a portal near where I summoned him,which was handy cause I died three times. I'm still using troll armor,couldn't be arsed with bronze grind.

Using portals the travel really ain't that bad,just setup an unassigned portal at home and bring mats to build another,was able to explore much more by just popping a portal down when it was turning night,sleeping at main base,then back through portal,dismantle it,and keep exploring.

Two things that make the grind in this game better,when you destroy things you get the full mats back and materials not needed to repair items. Along with foodsystem I think its helped the game. There's still a lot of grind though for mats even with the better system in general.

Last thing I did was setup a portal at the edge of swamp biome,which took about 90mins to find!!

I'm thinkin of taking a little break from it 21hrs in. The thoughts of going and farming iron is not really that appealing right now and I havent got much else to do. Come back to it in a week a bit more refreshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

In terms of polygons and textures it's no more advanced than a PS2 game. However lighting, draw distance and other modern graphical elements can still make it quite appealing (at least to me). Graphics seems to be one of the lowest things on their priority/budget and I'm completely ok with that. I basically don't give a shyte what anything looks like now as long as it's easy to identify what things actually are (so no Die Hard NES tier graphics :D) - it's all about gameplay to me.

The trees might have low texture but the fact the world is absolutely jam packed with them, 90% of them being choppable resources with their own physics that can crush you, enemies and known down structures including other trees is cooler to me than some HD bark texture.

Iguarantee wrote: »

I think it looks fantastic. They've chosen a low res art style and nailed it. The lighting and changing weather effects are brilliant. The low draw distance depending on the time of day or weather makes it feel claustrophobic at times which is a great contrast to clear, day time.

Swamp area really sucks, dark, gloomy and constantly wet debuff.
    I built a land bridge to it to avoid using the boat and discovered it's only a small area so will need to go elsewhere since it has no dungeon on it. Want to get to the mountains and plains asap

KilOit wrote: »
    Swamp area really sucks, dark, gloomy and constantly wet debuff.
    I built a land bridge to it to avoid using the boat and discovered it's only a small area so will need to go elsewhere since it has no dungeon on it. Want to get to the mountains and plains asap

yeah it comes in patches often. We got a nice chunk with a tonne of crypts so 3 of us mined it all out and we can sort of ignore the area now bar the need to get some guck that we're putting off for now.

It's very easy to get....swamped.... in the swamp... blobs, leeches trying to run away with the wet debuff and no stamina....

Having way more fun in the mountains although we've still to kill Bonemass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Pro Tip.
    When you name your Portals - write that name down so you don't travel half way around the world, lose your ship, but build a new portal and then find it doesn't connect...(Portal names are case sensitive).

Fun - When I was travelling across the ocean, I came across a massive turtle\monster that I thought was a little island - until it started moving and sank..

Giving up on this game till they fix sailing, awful awful experience, makes exploring different lands tedious, take out wind direction and be done with it

• Advertisement

Picked it up again :P had a bit of a rage quit moment. I was sailing along the coast and to pass the time I was on my phone as well, I looked up and saw I was heading to land with a troll approaching me, I see the wind is against me and can literally do nothing, I panic and just freeze while the troll smashes my boat and kills me in the middle of nowhere.

Extremely frustrating but I just logged back and ran 20 mins naked with mats to build raft near my gravestone and collect my things and head home minus a big boat, little adventure cost me 40 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

20:21
    22:27

tumblr_m8yk3tvBfg1qe8a0fo4_250.gifv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Didn't think the sailing was too bad; wind direction does add to the survival aspect I suppose. Have only used a raft so far though.

Killed the Elder and encountered the first patch of Swamp biome in last night's session (about 26 hours in). The Elder was an easy takedown, though I think we benefitted from some dodgy AI as his altar was beside the coast in our seed and instead of chasing us for melee attacks he kept just cycling between walking out into the water and back again to his altar, only using ranged attacks which were easy to avoid. Easy pickings for a hail of arrows.

Hadn't done any sailing up to this point so built a raft and set out east into the ocean, found a small black forest island on the way, built a portal and then disembarked onto a larger landmass further east with swamp and mountains. Had only died once up to this point but got killed by skellys and draugrs after just waltzing into the swamp. Don't have any bronze armor but was able to handle Draugrs on a random attack earlier on our meadows base but I guess fighting them in the swamp is a different story. Onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Giving up on this game till they fix sailing, awful awful experience, makes exploring different lands tedious, take out wind direction and be done with it

Adds to the fun imo sailing becomes a proper part of the adventure with bad wind you begin to worry about the sea monster. If you could just portal around the place and not really explore it takes from the game a bit imo but everyones different.

Some of the best fun ive had is sailing around checking places out.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Don't have any bronze armor but was able to handle Draugrs on a random attack earlier on our meadows base but I guess fighting them in the swamp is a different story.

You also have other nasty critters the draugrs are not that bad at all tbh

Didn't think the sailing was too bad; wind direction does add to the survival aspect I suppose. Have only used a raft so far though.

Killed the Elder and encountered the first patch of Swamp biome in last night's session (about 26 hours in). The Elder was an easy takedown, though I think we benefitted from some dodgy AI as his altar was beside the coast in our seed and instead of chasing us for melee attacks he kept just cycling between walking out into the water and back again to his altar, only using ranged attacks which were easy to avoid. Easy pickings for a hail of arrows.

Hadn't done any sailing up to this point so built a raft and set out east into the ocean, found a small black forest island on the way, built a portal and then disembarked onto a larger landmass further east with swamp and mountains. Had only died once up to this point but got killed by skellys and draugrs after just waltzing into the swamp. Don't have any bronze armor but was able to handle Draugrs on a random attack earlier on our meadows base but I guess fighting them in the swamp is a different story. Onwards

Don't waste time on a raft. The mats for the karve are tiny, use that instead and get the longboat asap if you want speed to get just about anywhere.

This game is going to become a global phenomenon. It's an early access indie title on Steam, but you know that it's going to generate the sort of network effect that will make it something bigger. It can become as relaxing as you like for casual gamers, but offers something more for those who want progression structures, ornate crafting, and almost infinite exploration. I'd be very surprised if Microsoft's gaming arm aren't already looking at how it fits into their wider strategy around collaborative gaming that runs almost on top of the underlying platform that the player is running.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,659 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Myself and a few of the lads have been addicted to this for the last fortnight - we have expanded from the initial island to the northwest and are mining silver and planning to take down the dragon on the mountain later :D

Everyone brings different things to it.. one lad loves the combat element so is always exploring, I'm happy enough to base-build most of the time, but we have shared crates where all the loot is kept so we can all upgrade our stuff.

Brilliant game! 74.7 hours in it already myself. One of the others has just over 100!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,659 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Edit - I think I need to pack up and get away from the area where you start the game. From watching a few vids I see there are houses around that you can fix up and move into. Will give that a shot.

Yes that's what we did. There's a village beside the coast north-east of the starting base (just beyond the river) that we fixed up and expanded. Although we've since moved islands, we still use it as a gate (sorry, portal - we refer to them as (star)gates :D) hub and for foraging berries etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If you're on PC, there are some console commands that can let you control wind direction / reset it so it's less painful.

Advertisement