Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennis - return to play?

• 15-02-2021 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I appreciate it's not the most important issue in society right now, but like all tennis folks I really miss playing. Anyone care to hazard a guess when we might get back on court? Even just outdoors and singles only. There's doesn't appear to be any return in sight at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I've been playing 2/3 times a week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Ludikrus wrote: »
    I appreciate it's not the most important issue in society right now, but like all tennis folks I really miss playing. Anyone care to hazard a guess when we might get back on court? Even just outdoors and singles only. There's doesn't appear to be any return in sight at the moment.

Probably summer time. Usually tennis and golf are the first back well that is what I am hoping. Last held my racket the day before the latest lockdown was announced. Probably be next year to get back to any sort of competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On a day like today it's hard to be too bothered!

It's going to get really difficult as the weather improves though.

I veer wildly between thinking they'll want to get outdoor, distance-able sports back up and running asap, and thinking they're so spooked (freaked out) by what happened before Christmas that they'll be so ultra-cautious that we'll never get back playing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    On a day like today it's hard to be too bothered!

It's going to get really difficult as the weather improves though.

I veer wildly between thinking they'll want to get outdoor, distance-able sports back up and running asap, and thinking they're so spooked (freaked out) by what happened before Christmas that they'll be so ultra-cautious that we'll never get back playing again.

Not the only one. I keep tormenting myself on my walks because I go by the tennis club and have a look in and wish for when I am back playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Floppybits wrote: »
    Not the only one. I keep tormenting myself on my walks because I go by the tennis club and have a look in and wish for when I am back playing.
    I go out of my way not to go anywhere near my club!

I'm regularly in Herbert Park though, and the sight of all those lovely courts lying empty just makes me sad.

• Advertisement

pretty much all transmission occurs indoors and the chances of transmission outdoors is like 1/30th or something and only likely in things like queues or close crowding (concerts)

so don't see why outdoor games shouldn't be allowed in clubs with maybe changing room facilities remaining closed

Article from Today

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/20/ban-on-outside-sport-can-end-top-scientist-urges-johnson
    Woolhouse also pointed out that the proportion of Covid infections occurring outside is extremely low. “Studies suggest that one in 100 is a high figure. Others suggest it is more like one in 1,000 or one in 10,000,” he added.

“This virus very rarely transmits outdoors. So, quite honestly, outdoor activities that don’t involve close physical contact could be adopted now. That is not an argument to say we can have crowds back at football matches. But sports involving small numbers of players or sports for children: they could start perfectly safely today.”

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Ludikrus

Advertisement