Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lockdown Weight Gain

• 19-02-2021 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Have you gained much weight in the past year? I myself have put on at least a stone 1/2, been eating a lot of crap the past few months, it's hard to keep away from the stuff :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Managing to get out doing a bit of hiking and walking, but without being able to go to usual haunts it's a struggle to keep the boredom away walking 5k around the block. I think it's genuinely a big problem for the people who have normally been very fit that they haven't been able to keep it up - and it's very easy to fall into a pattern of sitting on your arse watching Netflix every weekend. We just have to push through this and find the small joys in being active (I think).

A couple of my friends/family are actually feeling healthier - mostly through not going to the pub and getting walks in! They've actually lost weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've pretty much given up drinking during restrictions as I don't see the point in drinking at home so my usual 10 to 12 pint binges once a weekend are a thing of the past....the result....put on 2 stone in a year! Have to get exercising again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Pretty much the same weight as when lockdown started. I’d have been a keen enough swimmer beforehand but with pools closed out of sheer boredom I downloaded Strava and took up running just to do something.

Been lucky enough that my job keeps me pretty active throughout the day too thankfully. I was a close contact of a covid case so at home for two weeks without work and ended up putting on half a stone from just not moving as much. I’ve for sure been eating more crap and comfort food though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Have you gained much weight in the past year? I myself have put on at least a stone 1/2, been eating a lot of crap the past few months, it's hard to keep away from the stuff :pac:
    Up til Christmas I had!
    Big time!
    But gave myself a kick in the ass since then, my fitness Pal always works best for me, and a lot of walking.
    Down 8kg and back in normal weight range.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Put on a lot, lost it, put it back on, losing it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

First Lockdown I put on 5kg in about 6 weeks. I was in a very energetic job, covering well over 20k steps a day and it suddenly stopped. Maintained weight throughout until December and then worked in the same industry for a month and lost 4kg. Although when I was let go again, I have only put on 1kg in the last month. But a lot of work has gone into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

SnuggyBear wrote: »

For me it's been the exact opposite. Looking forward to better weather soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sandz066

I'm drinking way too much as a way of dealing with the boredom / stress. The weight gain on the scales isn't huge but the bloat is very noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Polar101 wrote: »
    For me it's been the exact opposite. Looking forward to better weather soon.

Yea me too , am faded and wrecked though after this year .
    Have to say I am wired , think work has affected me cos even days off out walking and hiking and not eating as much as before .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Put on 20% more than I was in March 2020, it's a digrace Joe etc etc, I need to get back to where I was. It's mainly the sitting on my hole doing less than 2000 steps a day doing it, pre lockdown I'd hit 10k steps most days on the journey to work and back.

The lack of social outings where someone might say you have put on a few pounds ain't helping either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Try 100 push ups, 100 pulls ups and 100 squats every day for the next month.
    Get out and walk or run.
    That fat will be turned into muscle.
    You'll feel great and get in great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yes. bought a set of resitance bands off adverts locally. following 'achv peak' on youtube, i do their bands workout, wife does dumbells at same time.

have lost a bit of weight over last few weeks and toned up a bit.

cans of guinness and nothing at home = big ned..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Get out and walk or run.

You can't turn fat into muscle
    Buy smaller plates
    Buy less crap and alcohol
    Exercise

You can't turn fat into muscle
    Buy smaller plates
    Buy less crap and alcohol
    Exercise

It's a figure of speech. If you exercise you lose body fat and you gain muscle. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It's a figure of speech. If you exercise you lose body fat and you gain muscle. lol

Not if your still eating crap
    You can't outrun a bad diet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I started training for a marathon back in March 2020. Couldn't do a 5k at the time. Now I do a half marathon a day. Went from 19st down to 13st.

Ha ha, nah, put on about 3 stone from beer and bbqing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm already a couple of stone overweight... 2020 was meant to be the year I got back in shape, that didn't happen, but I didn't put on any weight either. So I guess that's something.

This year hasn't gotten off to the best start as I was out of action with a kidney infection for most of January, however I'm determined to start losing some of the pounds now. Today is actually my Day One!!

I mean I had a really good year at work (even working at home), and achieved a lot of other things in the past year. So, considering we're in the middle of a global pandemic and all, I'm not gonna be too hard on myself for the weight thing.

I put on about 5kg. It's easy to put on weight, harder to lose it!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

copeyhagen wrote: »
    yes. bought a set of resitance bands off adverts locally. following 'achv peak' on youtube, i do their bands workout, wife does dumbells at same time.

have lost a bit of weight over last few weeks and toned up a bit.

cans of guinness and nothing at home = big ned..

Flat out on the Guinness too, getting two slabs a week. Relegated to spare room en-suite now.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Pretty much the same weight as when lockdown started. I’d have been a keen enough swimmer beforehand but with pools closed out of sheer boredom I downloaded Strava and took up running just to do something.

Been lucky enough that my job keeps me pretty active throughout the day too thankfully. I was a close contact of a covid case so at home for two weeks without work and ended up putting on half a stone from just not moving as much. I’ve for sure been eating more crap and comfort food though.

I'm much the same as you! Miss swimming a lot but I've focused on running and I'm training for a half marathon now. I've gained a little weight overall I think, just from giving in to comfort eating, but still well within a healthy range and all the running is definitely helping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Took 7 minutes off my 10k time since the summer and down a couple of kg maybe, not really trying to lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Got a bit fitter, lost nearly 40lbs up to xmas. Up by 8lbs since, no motivation to get out as much and nibbling too mich. Think this lockdown is harder on everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

SnuggyBear wrote: »

Me too. Like Oprah Winfrey.

Not if your still eating crap
    You can't outrun a bad diet

Where did I say that???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Put on a bit of weight myself. I miss the gym. I know there are alternatives like running and what not. Just prefer the idea of going to a gym and using the different machines and free weights to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, I've put on a bit. No gym since last February and whilst I go for a walk every day, it's not the same. I've also zero motivation to do it as mentally so fecked.

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, I've put on a bit. No gym since last February and whilst I go for a walk every day, it's not the same. I've also zero motivation to do it as mentally so fecked.

The walk isn't the same. I miss the gym. I can't run outdoors due to old injuries I carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Get out and walk or run.

I'm sure couch potatoes will be banging out 100 pullups a day no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

I'm sure couch potatoes will be banging out 100 pullups a day no bother.

Exactly, I couldn’t even manage that, even if I wasn’t putting away the slabs of Guinness every week.

• Advertisement

I'm grand thankfully.... Was 87kg in Feb 20, 90kg now.... Not bad considering I was a 4 or 5 time a week gym goer and am doing not much since they are closed.

Advertisement