Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We landed on Mars... again? [Mod note post #1]

• 19-02-2021 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

I always cringe when I see these monumental events unfold on the 6 o' clock news. Why is this big news? I thought we already did this 10 or 15 years ago?

Of course we get the grainy black and white images with really interesting rocks we will study for the next few years. I can't wait for the blurry red pictures of rocks to come through in about 6 or 7 months when people have finished caring about the landing event.

Do people actually believe this crap?

Mod note:
    Trigger wrote: »
    Mod: going to clean this one up a bit. Posters can and will have a difference of opinion, because they hold that opinion does not mean that they can be attacked. Play the ball and not the man.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What's the conspiracy theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

banie01 wrote: »
    What's the conspiracy theory?

Black and white photos of the red planet I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I always cringe when I see these monumental events unfold on the 6 o' clock news. Why is this big news? I thought we already did this 10 or 15 years ago?
    Because it's a new rover with new experiments and equipment. In particular, it's the first rover that is specifically tasked with searching for existing life rather than habitability.
    Here's a great video on it:
    Yes. Why wouldn't they?

Are you suggesting that it's faked?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Whats the purpose of this trip, and all the billions of dollars spent on it? Lets sort our own planet out first before we care about what may or may not have happened in distant lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Whats the purpose of this trip, and all the billions of dollars spent on it? Lets sort our own planet out first before we care about what may or may not have happened in distant lands.

This is why you are on boards.ie and not Mars

• Advertisement

Cool. Why not take money from say the military in that case?
    Or from all the subsidies for sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

King Mob wrote: »
    Because it's a new rover with new experiments and equipment. In particular, it's the first rover that is specifically tasked with searching for existing life rather than habitability.

That's great, if we learn half as much using this rover as we did from the other five rovers then we will be doing just swell :rolleyes:

Of course it's faked, NASA has, is and always will be nothing more than a financial buffer/rainy day fund for the US government. Why do you think Obama put a halt to the space exploration program? Because Obamacare drained so much of the funds that they couldn't even afford to fire off the odd ceremonial rocket here and there like they used to.

That's great, if we learn half as much using this rover as we did from the other five rovers then we will be doing just swell :rolleyes:
    Yes.
    Of course it's faked, NASA has,
    lol, what a silly and childish thing to believe.

Why do you believe that it's faked and what evidence do you have that any NASA mission has been faked?
    is and always will be nothing more than a financial buffer/rainy day fund for the US government. Why do you think Obama put a halt to the space exploration program? Because Obamacare drained so much of the funds that they couldn't even afford to fire off the odd ceremonial rocket here and there like they used to.
    Lol. Nonsense.

Do you really believe this or is this a poor attempt at trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Cool. Why not take money from say the military in that case?
    Or from all the subsidies for sports?

That comment makes absolutely no sense. The military and sports are essential bodies/activities here on Earth where we all live. And where billions of dollars could massively benefit so many people here and now.
    Instead of investing it in a planet where none of us will ever visit in our lifetime, collecting soil samples for analysis of a period where life may have existed millions of years ago. Pointless to the progression of our species here and now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

How do they have the technology to go to Mars but they don't have the technology to go to the moon anymore because they destroyed it

• Advertisement

That comment makes absolutely no sense. The military and sports are essential bodies/activities here on Earth where we all live. And where billions of dollars could massively benefit so many people here and now.
    Lol. Sure they are... :rolleyes:

You realise that NASA and the space industry employs thousands and directly leads to technology development, right?
    Or are you ignoring this to troll?

How do they have the technology to go to Mars but they don't have the technology to go to the moon anymore because they destroyed it
    We do have the technology to go to the moon.

We haven't sent humans to the moon since the apollo program because there hasn't been the budget and political will.

At this stage I have to ask you guys if you believe the Earth is round before continuing this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Round like a plate.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

They destroyed the moon?

I feel like I’d have noticed if the moon had been destroyed.

We haven't sent humans to the moon since the apollo program because there hasn't been the budget and political will.

At this stage I have to ask you guys if you believe the Earth is round before continuing this...

We no longer have that technology because it was destroyed and it would be a painful process to build it back again.

You're obviously not too well read up on NASA's employees I see.

Honestly, you'd swear people worked for NASA but then they don't even know about NASA actually say

• Registered Users Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Of course we get the grainy black and white images with really interesting rocks we will study for the next few years. I can't wait for the blurry red pictures of rocks to come through in about 6 or 7 months when people have finished caring about the landing event.

Returning after a decade is an achievement - we cant seem to go back to the moon after 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Deagol

I weep..

Of course they have technology to go to the moon - you're willfully ignoring the difference between sending a one way, dispensable 1 ton 'robot' to Mars and the challenge of safely sending 6 tons of machine and extremely fragile humans to the moon AND safely returning them to Earth.

Deagol wrote: »
    I weep..

Of course they have technology to go to the moon - you're willfully ignoring the difference between sending a one way, dispensable 1 ton 'robot' to Mars and the challenge of safely sending 6 tons of machine and extremely fragile humans to the moon AND safely returning them to Earth.

Ok Here's NASA Astronaut Don Pettit. It's a short video. We no longer have the technology..........Jees. What is wrong with you guys

We no longer have that technology because it was destroyed and it would be a painful process to build it back again.

You're obviously not too well read up on NASA's employees I see.

Honestly, you'd swear people worked for NASA but then they don't even know about NASA actually say
    Lol So you are a flat earther then. Cool. No point in wasting time with you.

mickdw wrote: »
    Returning after a decade is an achievement - we cant seem to go back to the moon after 50 years.
    But there's been a bunch of landings on the Moon in the last 50 years.

• Advertisement

Lol So you are a flat earther then. Cool. No point in wasting time with you.

You're a donk. I quote a NASA astronaut and show you the clip I am quoting.

All you can come back with is name calling because you didn't know NASA said this and you're trying to save face.......moron

You're a donk. I quote a NASA astronaut and show you the clip I am quoting.

All you can come back with is name calling because you didn't know NASA said this and you're trying to save face.......moron
    Yes, but you believe that the Earth is flat, so you clearly don't understand a great many things about science.

If you don't believe the Earth is flat, please just say so. No need to dodge the question.

Also, lol "Donk" :rolleyes:

Yes.

Tell me now, what revolutionary discoveries have we made about Mars that will benefit humanity for centuries to come?

Why do you believe that it's faked and what evidence do you have that any NASA mission has been faked?
    About 90% of the footage they give us is computer rendered, animated nonsense. Why not just give us real footage if they are really doing it?

So we had the budget in the 60s but not now, despite the fact that the technological advancements we've made in the meantime should allow us to go at a fraction of the cost...

Nobody is asking you to be here. You've clearly made up your mind on the topic. Why wait around?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can send your name, I put the family on Atlas V 401 on the Insight Mission to Mars a few years ago.
    Still taking names for the next mission https://mars.nasa.gov/participate/send-your-name/mars2020/

Tell me now, what revolutionary discoveries have we made about Mars that will benefit humanity for centuries to come?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spinoff_technologies
    About 90% of the footage they give us is computer rendered, animated nonsense. Why not just give us real footage if they are really doing it?
    Simple bull**** here.
    Evidence please.
    So we had the budget in the 60s but not now,
    Yes.
    despite the fact that the technological advancements we've made in the meantime should allow us to go at a fraction of the cost...
    Which technological advancements specifically?
    How much would it cost?

Also, could you explain why we don't have supersonic commerical aircraft now when we did in the 70s?
    Are you claiming Concorde is fake too?
    Nobody is asking you to be here. You've clearly made up your mind on the topic. Why wait around?
    Oh... so you also believe the Earth is flat and space is a glass dome...
    Cool...

Of course, when I ask you what discoveries we've made about Mars that will benefit humanity for centuries to come you deflect with an irrelevant link about NASA spinoff technologies...
    Simple bull**** here.
    Evidence please.
    The video about Perserverence you posted above is 90% animated bulls***t

Here is a two hour long livestream of the landing:

Can you scan this and show me where there is actual footage of the landing? Even the "moon landing" had actual footage...

Which technological advancements specifically?
    How much would it cost?

Eh, have you ever heard of SpaceX? Have you ever heard of Virgin Galactic? If we could go to the moon the commercial industry would be there in a second.
    Also, could you explain why we don't have supersonic commerical aircraft now when we did in the 70s?
    Are you claiming Concorde is fake too?

What has this got to do with anything? The concorde wasn't commercially viable after a highly publicised crash.
    Oh... so you also believe the Earth is flat and space is a glass dome...
    Cool...

Why don't you just question my mental state? I know you are only itching to. I've been watching your comments on this forum for the last two years, your conduct is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

Isn't education a wonderful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

We can send a robot to mars but instead of equipping it with a decent camera, we attach the same black and white camera my grandparents used on their wedding day in 1934.

Of course, when I ask you what discoveries we've made about Mars that will benefit humanity for centuries to come you deflect with an irrelevant link about NASA spinoff technologies...
    Yes. That's what you asked for. The development of space technologies leads to spinoff technologies that directly benefit people.

You clearly don't have any knowledge or interest in the purely scientific benefits and will call any such discoveries fake without evidence or reason.
    The video about Perserverence you posted above is 90% animated bulls***t

Here is a two hour long livestream of the landing:

Can you scan this and show me where there is actual footage of the landing? Even the "moon landing" had actual footage...
    Why would there be actual footage of the landing?
    There wasn't any cameras on the surface to film it.

You've already posted the images from the rover.

Could you point to any examples of footage that NASA claims is real, from the spacecraft footage that is in fact faked? Also please provide evidence that it is fake.
    Eh, have you ever heard of SpaceX? Have you ever heard of Virgin Galactic? If we could go to the moon the commercial industry would be there in a second.
    So why haven't they gone to the moon?

Are you claiming that it's impossible to go to the moon?
    What has this got to do with anything? The concorde wasn't commercially viable after a highly publicised crash.
    But it doesn't exist now. So therefore it's fake.
    This is your logic.
    Why don't you just question my mental state?
    Well you don't believe the world is round.

If you don't believe this, simply state that.

Either way, what you're proposing is of a similar level as claiming the world is flat.
    Many flat earthers use similar arguments to what you are claiming.
    I know you are only itching to. I've been watching your comments on this forum for the last two years, your conduct is disgraceful.
    Lol. I'm sorry that you're so offended. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Covid19 wrote: »
    Isn't education a wonderful thing.

It truly is. It's a pity it doesn't teach you how to question things that are clearly bol**ox.

Advertisement