Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SEAI grant after getting EV

• 19-02-2021 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just saw that SEAI are offering grants of up to 5k on EVs.

I only bought a new car last week (Petrol/Hybrid) and its listed as a qualifying car on their grant website.
    It also says to ask the dealer to apply for it and they'll knock the money off the list price.
    Given that I've received the car already, am I down 5k? Or can I follow up with SEAI and ask for the grant myself?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There are no grants for hybrid. Only PH(EV).

What exact make and model of car did you buy?

If the car does qualify for the grant you can be sure the dealer has already deducated that from the price and claimed the grant on your behalf. Thats how it works. You dont claim a refund yourself. They would have no reason not to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

It is a PHEV:
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/grant-eligible-cars/car-details/?db=IE&vehicle=121

So you reckon the price the dealer quoted me was the actual price, minus 5k? And the grant stuff happens silently in the background, like you'd never hear a mention of it?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    It is a PHEV:
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/grant-eligible-cars/car-details/?db=IE&vehicle=121

So you reckon the price the dealer quoted me was the actual price, minus 5k? And the grant stuff happens silently in the background, like you'd never hear a mention of it?

Thats usually the way it happens.

The importer registers the car with the SEAI which makes it grant eligible and appears on their website. Then you buy the car and the dealer does all the paperwork on your behalf with the SEAI and they sell the car to you with the grant taken off the bottomline. The grant money then goes direct to the dealer.

Maybe Skoda are different so worth asking.

You linked to a Skoda Superb. On their website they list the Super iV PHEV at €43k, €47, €51k and €53k before grant for the Ambition, Style, Sportline and L&K trim levels.

What trim level did you buy and what did you pay? You'll know then if the €5k was deducted or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It is a PHEV:

This is the way it’s been since it’s implementation.

Did you buy a brand new car or a new to you car?

It's the Sportline trim.
    It was a showroom demo. I'm first owner but its a 202 that I got last week.

• Advertisement

It's the Sportline trim.
    It was a showroom demo. I'm first owner but its a 202 that I got last week.

Ah, so they registered it last year and would have claimed the grant already. You won’t get to claim that again.

What did you pay? It should have been <€46k assuming it had no options above standard sport line spec.... especially since it’s a 202 also and not a 211.

Yes, it was less than 46k. Was a little less than 40k! :P
    8k kms on it which is prob a bit much for 6 months old but it was a good price.

But ye, I'd say they already claimed the grant if I got it for over 10k cheaper than the list price.

Need to look at getting a home charger now.

But ye, I'd say they already claimed the grant if I got it for over 10k cheaper than the list price.

And so it should be. I didn’t want to dampen your spirits getting a new car and all so I just said <€46k.
    <€40k is a good price.

Cheeky of you to think you’d get another €5k off on top of that! :)

€600 SEAI grant for the home charger. You do need to claim that yourself but you apply first and get approval, THEN install and then get the money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The grant was built into the cheaper price.
    Enjoy he new car.

Advertisement