Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ban gambling adverts?

Options
  • 19-02-2021 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

The Labour party is drafting proposals to ban gambling advertising. It seems like this has been an annoyance or cause for concern for years. I'm surprised no political party has taken it on before. Too many vested interests?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40228859.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If it puts an end to those ridiculously cringeworthy Paddy Power adverts, I'm all for it.

"The Emirates never sounded so good".

Wasn't funny the 1st time, let alone the 500th.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I find myself getting an inordinate amount of these ads on YouTube recently and I don't even gamble.

No issue with them being banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 davidbeckham32

yep should be banned, no need for them, gambling ruins peoples lives

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

yep should be banned, no need for them, gambling ruins peoples lives

Excessive or problem gambling runs people's lives. The vast majority of us enjoy it as a,sometimes, popular pastime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I think organised gambling is an absolute plague.

Every town across ireland is littered with grimey little bookie shops with men, mainly middle aged, gambling away their lives and drinking it away in the equally grotty pub next door.

There is not escaping the fact that the horse racing industry, and to a certain extent UK soccer, is largely built on the misery and at the expense of gambling addicts and their families. I know families that have no heating because of a husband who gambled every euro he can lay his hand on.

And online gambling is about the saddest existence I can think of.

Good riddance to gambling advertising. Dirt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Gambling is a curse for too many people. I would never gamble.

Advertising and promoting it should be banned as soon as possible

But I bet you 100 quid it won't be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 davidbeckham32

Gambling is a curse for too many people. I would never gamble.

Advertising and promoting it should be banned as soon as possible

But I bet you 100 quid it won't be

:)

I think organised gambling is an absolute plague.

Every town across ireland is littered with grimey little bookie shops with men, mainly middle aged, gambling away their lives and drinking it away in the equally grotty pub next door.

There is not escaping the fact that the horse racing industry, and to a certain extent UK soccer, is largely built on the misery and at the expense of gambling addicts and their families. I know families that have no heating because of a husband who gambled every euro he can lay his hand on.

And online gambling is about the saddest existence I can think of.

Good riddance to gambling advertising. Dirt
    We also know families that have no heating because of a husband who drank every euro he could lay his hands on. Does that mean we should introduce alcohol prohibition? Fact is the vast majority who gamble enjoy it and bet sensibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭eggy81

Nope. Shouldn’t be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm not even sure how gambling is legal when it's so dishonest, if you lose they love you and want you to spend more and more, but if you win they ban you from making bets, and it's not done underhandedly, it's done for all to see. How on earth can a company be allowed to run this way. It's not gambling, it's a company designed to take money from mugs.

• Advertisement

eggy81 wrote: »
    Nope. Shouldn’t be banned.

But it should be put into law that they can't close peoples accounts for winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I know someone who lost the house over it.

You can only drink so many pints in a day until you keel over, you can only snort so many lines but the only think that can stop you gambling is running out of money.

If we've decided that drink ads are bad, there's no excuse to still have gambling ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Yes it should be banned so many ads on TV and the internet of them.

They are playing around with the rules creating bingo or a lotto so they can play ads during the day.

Remember the time when phone ring tone companies were awash on our TVs?

Gambling ads are the new ringtone ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

We also know families that have no heating because of a husband who drank every euro he could lay his hands on. Does that mean we should introduce alcohol prohibition? Fact is the vast majority who gamble enjoy it and bet sensibly.

Is gambling advertising about sensible betting though.

A lot of sports will simply go out of existence without gambling sponsorship. I'm thinking snooker, a lot of European soccer leagues (including LoI) etc.

The gambling ads have gotten very pervasive now since the space was vacated by tobacco and then alcohol. I wouldn't miss them, but what vice would replace them?

But it should be put into law that they can't close peoples accounts for winning.

My own experience is that they only close accounts if they suspect something hokey like a fella too often backing the horses at a price way greater than the sp which suggests inside knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

More nanny state BS.

My own experience is that they only close accounts if they suspect something hokey like a fella too often backing the horses at a price way greater than the sp which suggests inside knowledge.

They close accounts of anyone making money. What's wrong with inside knowledge, they use that to make the prices, works both ways.

I know someone who lost the house over it.

You can only drink so many pints in a day until you keel over, you can only snort so many lines but the only think that can stop you gambling is running out of money.

If we've decided that drink ads are bad, there's no excuse to still have gambling ads.

Fair enough I'd have no problem banging advertising it's just some want gambling to be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

ban em. apart from being ****e ads and too many of them on during sports events the "products" they now push have gone beyond the little flutter of betting on a winner or scorer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,003 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I say this on every thread about gambling advertising so I'll say it here again

Betting advertising on TV is very very predatory.

Look at the ads.

Look at the Labrooke ads recently.

One featured a giant the other Jay from the Inbetweeners dressed up a spaceman.

What demographic do giants and spacemen appeal to ?

That's correct, young boys, just to plant the fun and sports and Ladbrooks seed there for them until they get old enough to figure out how to get around he rules and bet using their phones.

And then look at the other ads, it's all about "the lads" and comparing bets and making smarter "accas" than your buddy and all the "bantz" that goes on around it.

They portray it as for young males now sport, especially soccer, has not become about enjoying the game, it's about enjoying the game with a bet on shots, cards, corners accas etc.

I don't mind betting, but the ads should be curtailed, if not banned outright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

BAN EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I like the odd bet.

I would still ban gambling advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

should be completely banned. television, print, radio and online for all of Ireland. However alcohol advertisement of sporting events and online on non childrens sites should be allowed return to make up the shortfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

OisMcConville should be banned, he wants everyone else to suffer coz he lost his bollix, in his book he said he was in the car trying to find a few quid for a bet in the glove box. If he was a real addict, he would have sold the car and gambled the money. Same with that Wexford postman, on the TV and radio for the last few years making up fairy stories. Labour have done **** all for this country except provide, a former president who is a walking contradiction in Mary Robinson, a feminist who is best mates with rich Arabs, and also failed country when they were in coalition, and got wiped out. Thought they were a party of the working classes, but they have shown their true colours in the past few years. Lots of things should be banned, and the justice system should be overhauled before anything else, also public serve ts and politicians are grossly overpaid, but once again this kind of issue is promoted at the expense of real issues, it doesn't matter if advertising is banned, people will still do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm usually against bans but surprisingly I've no problem with this proposal.

If someone wants to gamble, go ahead. There's no proposal to ban that.

Gambling should be treated the same as smoking. No advertising for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

What companies are we going to ban next?
    Seems everyone has a problem with some company or another
    Cars kill people, so ban them?
    Phones are bad for kids if they use too much, ban them?

Maybe instead of banning everything, with each deal a percentage is taken out to pay for awareness, a program for young adults to teach them about betting etc. So when they finally do hit the big World they know what to do, instead of wrapping them in cotton wool and then they fail when left on their own

Look at banning alcohol. Has this actually reduced alcoholics? anyone know?
    Has it reduced the sale of alcohol?

What it has reduced is the ability of sports organisations like the IRFU, FAI to drive sponsorship deals which bring in money. The same money which runs clubs all over the country for young people to play in. Stopping them from drinking alcohol.

No big picture with this stuff from what I can see,.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

What companies are we going to ban next?
    Seems everyone has a problem with some company or another
    Cars kill people, so ban them?
    Phones are bad for kids if they use too much, ban them?

Maybe instead of banning everything, with each deal a percentage is taken out to pay for awareness, a program for young adults to teach them about betting etc. So when they finally do hit the big World they know what to do, instead of wrapping them in cotton wool and then they fail when left on their own

I don't think this it's some cancel culture bollocks. It's about trying to nudge society in the direction we as a society would (generally) want to live in. It's a fine balance and you won't please everyone. However, in this case, If we let companies do what they wanted all the time then (to take the opposite of your extreme argument) we would still have doctors on TV endorsing the healthier brands of cigarette.

Re the gambling - it's like allowing betting shops to open en masse in poorer areas because they know there are more likely to be gamblers there, specifically problem gamblers that will bet way beyond their means. Should we allow that sort of free for all as well?

• Advertisement

km991148 wrote: »
    I don't think this it's some cancel culture bollocks. It's about trying to nudge society in the direction we as a society want. It's a fine balance. If we let companies do what they wanted all the time then (to take the opposite of your extreme argument) we would still have doctors on TV endorsing the healthier brands of cigarette.

Re the gambling - it's like allowing betting shops to open en masse in poorer areas because they know there are more likely to be gamblers there, specifically problem gamblers that will bet way beyond their means. Should we allow that sort of free for all as well?

It is a cancel culture
    Everyone is offended over everything these days
    What happens when they have everything banned, then they will move onto sports
    Oh rugby is dangerous, we need to cancel that
    Soccer oh heading the ball is dangerous, we need to cancel that
    GAA, what the f**k, need to cancel that

Advertisement