Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has been most affected with their day to day operation by the pandemic?

• 14-02-2021 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Which of these groups do you see as not being mostly affected by the pandemic and which do you see possibly not returning ever to their previous strength?

Which group will be damaged by Covid 19 the most? 57 votes

Airlines
    78% 45 votes
    Retail sector
    7% 4 votes
    Tourism and Hospitality
    1% 1 vote
    Musicians
    7% 4 votes
    ISIS
    1% 1 vote
    "Wet pubs"
    3% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Florists (Retail) have been battered. Am I right in saying they missed out on mother's day last year? They missed out on Valentines Day and will likely miss mothers day this year.

Those weekends pay the bills for the rest of the year.

Then there's no flowers for weddings, funerals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Pubs have of course been shut almost a year, and likely to be shut another year or at least partially shut ie: 6 people allowed in for 90 minutes, closed by 10pm or some other meaningless rubbish. We can be sure many will never recover.

Airlines too, not shut down completely but with huge overheads airlines in Europe have already been bailed to the tune of €34.8 billion. Being the latest whipping boy distraction technique (in Ireland anyway) isn't going to help next season either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

No mention of gyms in the poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I think wet pubs are pretty much dead now.

Florists (Retail) have been battered. Am I right in saying they missed out on mother's day last year? They missed out on Valentines Day and will likely miss mothers day this year.

Passed a florist on Friday who seemed to be doing a roaring trade in deliveries - not an inter flora affiliate either. Jam packed with roses etc,. and what seemed like two drivers loading up for deliveries

• Advertisement

Has to be wet pubs. They have been closed for the longest amount of time compared to the others.

We had flowers at my mother's funeral. The funeral director arranged them.

I got flowers for the grave for her birthday and a wreath at Christmas from a local florist.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Lower income people in the hospitality and services sectors that in 2019 would have had multiple jobs all very low pay. Now those jobs are decimated and the ones that do return will be heavily sought after positions with labour supply greatly outstripping demand. Wages will be sh1t and some of these people will have bills from PUP and TWSS that will impact their future take home pay for a longer period.

Open to correction on this but I suspect this will impact more women than men.

Next biggest group will likely be any public patient requiring health care. Covid is going to have a surreal last impacting on the availability of this resource

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Can they not deliver flowers to customers this Mother's Day?

It's the first I'm hearing this as surely they come under a delivery service like Takeaways and Tescos etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Can they not deliver flowers to customers this Mother's Day?

It's the first I'm hearing this as surely they come under a delivery service like Takeaways and Tescos etc

Our locals florists are open and did a roaring trade last weekend. I assume it will be the same for mothers day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Has to be wet pubs. They have been closed for the longest amount of time compared to the others.

But apparently the Vintners are "the most powerful lobby group in the country" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭phormium

I know this is small in the overall picture and I'd probably come under hospitality kind of but I make wedding cakes, I haven't made a cake now for 12 months bar one for a friend, none of the venues I usually deal with would be small wedding venues and not one customer that I had booked in for last year went ahead with the smaller numbers and even if they had there would have been a drastic cut in the size of the cake and obviously the price so hardly even worth making.

Sorry to hear that phormium :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Did anyone choose ISIS hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Did anyone choose ISIS hahaha.

mad bastards!

Advertisement