Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO fibre out in Knocknacarra?

• 18-02-2021 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi folks,

My internet is out and I rang Pure, who think its my ONT box isn't working - but I just bumped into a neighbour who has the same issue - anyone else around Galway having Siro fibre internet issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Still with Virgin/Chorus/NTL broadband which is working fine at 250mbs.

Was thinking about upgrading to Siro until I learnt about the install which put me off. Can I ask where they entered your house for the Siro connection? I think mine would be in the foyer which isn't a good place to connect with the rest of my network.

Hope you get sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Was thinking about upgrading to Siro until I learnt about the install which put me off. Can I ask where they entered your house for the Siro connection? I think mine would be in the foyer which isn't a good place to connect with the rest of my network.

What aspect of the install put you off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

VF Siro working fine for me in Knocknacarra.

If the installers have to run an external cable anywhere, make sure they have white, unless your house is painted black. ****ing unsightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

They pulled a cable up through the ESB duct to the meter box on the side of the house. then drilled a hole at an angle from about 6" under the meter box that came out insde the meter box - this was to get the cable out of the meter box. then it dropped straight down and then they put a neat box on the wall and straight through to the inside of the house - just inside the front door. This suited me and I separately ran a cat6 cable up to the attic from here myself. Works great and i've never had to touch the router. Call's video streaming for work etc is great. Its 1000mb/s but really the difference you notice is that the ping is very short and the upload speed is great.

The router they give you is 1000 times better than the virgin box. I constantly had stability issues on the virgin box with wired clients losing their IP and a router restart required. Hasn't happened since on the new router. Its a fritzbox. A bonus is that teh cordless phone connects directly to the router - so i didn't need an extra basestation beside the router.

The first team that pulled teh cable through the duct to the house said they can bring it elsewhere in the house - but not sure how far they would have gone - they had ladders on the van - so maybe they would have brought it somehwere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

working fine for me. Be carefull when ordering Broadband and TV. Depending on your house it could be very unsightfull.

I did my research and did a bit of networking in the house (new build). I've the optic convert at the front door and the ethernet cable connected to a wall data point next to the optic converter to the vodafone router in the attic. this is then connected to another router through a wall data point behind the TV which acts as a access point/wifi transmitter which is also running to the TV box.

The work the two lads were going to do before i told them was crazy. running cable along the front of the house and all along the living room. the missus would of gone crazy!

• Advertisement

topcat77 wrote: »
    working fine for me. Be carefull when ordering Broadband and TV. Depending on your house it could be very unsightfull.

I did my research and did a bit of networking in the house (new build). I've the optic convert at the front door and the ethernet cable connected to a wall data point next to the optic converter to the vodafone router in the attic. this is then connected to another router through a wall data point behind the TV which acts as a access point/wifi transmitter which is also running to the TV box.

The work the two lads were going to do before i told them was crazy. running cable along the front of the house and all along the living room. the missus would of gone crazy!

yeah that was what they said to me - the first guys said if i opened a trench myself, they would put it in there(i would have had to have the conduit too). I decided to run cat6 up to the attic as I already had attic-TV room cat 6 from when we had VMedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭gaming_needs90

yeah that was what they said to me - the first guys said if i opened a trench myself, they would put it in there(i would have had to have the conduit too). I decided to run cat6 up to the attic as I already had attic-TV room cat 6 from when we had VMedia.

Down too for a family member opposite Joyces. This is the ESB SIRO version I presume we are speaking about.

Down too for a family member opposite Joyces. This is the ESB SIRO version I presume we are speaking about.

yeah the ESB siro (not the openEir fibre )
    lots of different suppliers offer it but its all the same network.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

All okay around upper Ballymoneen rd

topcat77 wrote: »
    All okay around upper Ballymoneen rd

The cutoff seemed to be the western distributor. Below that was out.

Mine is back now. Was still off after dinner but seems ok for now. Hopefully will stay on now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement