Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Surely if the response to 1 is so good that they think 2 could make a profit, they'll do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Surely if the response to 1 is so good that they think 2 could make a profit, they'll do it?

Didn't help Blade Runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I love Villeneuve but I'm not sure I buy his reasoning about Dune as a franchise being killed by this shift to streaming. Was there really an expectation that Dune was going to be a huge box office hit? I guess it was possible, but surely it was setup with the premise that it wouldn't be a massive thing. It's Dune ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

MJohnston wrote: »
    I love Villeneuve but I'm not sure I buy his reasoning about Dune as a franchise being killed by this shift to streaming. Was there really an expectation that Dune was going to be a huge box office hit? I guess it was possible, but surely it was setup with the premise that it wouldn't be a massive thing. It's Dune ffs!

Generally accepted the second him and the cast were announced that it was going to be an epic. WB would have been banking on it as a potential franchise for sure.

As you say it could still be, but the cost of producing a film like Dune for cinema only to end up on the in-house streaming service is unlikely to recoup what they're looking for. I think the strategy is by releasing the entire slate for 2021 on HBO MAX they might get massive long term benefits, Dune has become just a chess piece in that hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

People are talking about franchise here, but the movie itself was only ever going to be spilt into two, right? Maybe spin-offs for the other books if the reaction is good.

If it's not out till October, I'll definitely be trying to catch this one in cinemas if things have gone back to normal. I've no problem watching most new movies streaming at home, but his are always so epic in size. This and Matrix 4 are my two big hopes for the cinema for next year, if it's safe to do so, even if they arrive on streaming at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I'm gonna be honest here and say...
    Cop the fúck on lads!

My main living room set up blows the local cinema out of the water for everything apart from screen size.
    Better sound set up, better screen set up including ISF, far more comfortable.

My local cinemas have big screens that are poorly lit, with bulb issues. Unbalanced sound and there is that persistent problem of other people.

I'd even put my projector setup in my mancave ahead of a few of the local screens.

The WB release model isn't perfect, it has issues but there is an ongoing move to home consumption.
    That has been accelerated by Covid and TBH, the spectacle of some movies isn't worth the trip to a mucky cinema.

Unless Villeneuve and Co are inspecting and certifying every cinema showing their print as "Dune-certified" it's a fairly toothless point.

My home setup is good, many here no doubt have far better but the vast majority are much, much worse.
    Cinemas are the same, the days of actual projectionists and a sound mix other than a preset are long gone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

From the beginning I wished that they had made this as a single film or committed to producing both films simultaneously and those concerns now seem justified. Even if second film happens Villeneuve probably won't be directing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

From the beginning I wished that they had made this as a single film or committed to producing both films simultaneously and those concerns now seem justified. Even if second film happens Villeneuve probably won't be directing.

Oh, I thought that they had filmed both films simultaneously but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Although the sequel has not yet been officially green-lit by Legendary, Villeneuve has stated that the 2021 film will roughly cover the first half of the novel, with a follow up covering the remaining half.
    Thats worrying.
    Second part might not get made now.
    Or worse still get made with a B rate cast, director and budget.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

banie01 wrote: »
    My main living room set up blows the local cinema out of the water

Well bully for you then. Most of us here just have a monitor. And, believe it or not, actually enjoy a trip to the cinema.

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    Well bully for you then. Most of us here just have a monitor. And, believe it or not, actually enjoy a trip to the cinema.

You'll still be able to! WB didn't pull Dune from theatres entirely, it's just going to streaming on the same day it releases in theatres.

Rob2D wrote: »

Thanks, I'm happy with it, with both actually.
    But.
    Just to reiterate the point that seems to have flown over your head.

Unless Villeneuve and Co are inspecting and certifying every cinema showing their print as "Dune-certified" it's a fairly toothless point.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Just the 1st one is plenty.
    The 1st 2 movies will cover the original novel.

The dune books are excellent, buy the first but read the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I'm gonna be honest here and say...
    Cop the fúck on lads!

My main living room set up blows the local cinema out of the water for everything apart from screen size.
    Better sound set up, better screen set up including ISF, far more comfortable.

My local cinemas have big screens that are poorly lit, with bulb issues. Unbalanced sound and there is that persistent problem of other people.

I'd even put my projector setup in my mancave ahead of a few of the local screens.

The WB release model isn't perfect, it has issues but there is an ongoing move to home consumption.
    That has been accelerated by Covid and TBH, the spectacle of some movies isn't worth the trip to a mucky cinema.

My home setup is good, many here no doubt have far better but the vast majority are much, much worse.
    Cinemas are the same, the days of actual projectionists and a sound mix other than a preset are long gone.

I also have a decent home setup,dedicated room with Sony amp and speakers and benq projector but I still wanted to see tenant in the cinema (I did) and would love to see dune in one . Granted I enjoy my home setup but it's about 1/32 the local max screen and it's pretty good for a home setup.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    I also have a decent home setup,dedicated room with Sony amp and speakers and benq projector but I still wanted to see tenant in the cinema (I did) and would love to see dune in one . Granted I enjoy my home setup but it's about 1/32 the local max screen and it's pretty good for a home setup.

It's hard to make direct comparisons like that because the equivalent size of each screen is always going to vary depending on where you prefer to sit in a cinema, what size the theatre screen is, what size your TV is, and how far you sit from it at home.

With a 60" 4K TV and you're sitting 2-3m away, you're not really far off from IMAX screen sizes even (depending on where you sit of course!).

This same algebra is also why 4K will be an upper resolution limit for most people's home viewing habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I wouldn’t have risked seeing it in the cinema and having someone ruin it by talking/checking phone.... I have had to tell people to stop talking so many times and then told I am being rude.... cinema going etiquette in Ireland gets a F- from me.... I will be watching it at home with a whiskey... though a close to empty cinema is the ideal scenario

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have a perfectly capable set-up at home to watch movies, doing many a film justice (stopping short of those "wake the neighbours' dog" surround systems beloved of apartment dwellers); however, a Denis Villeneuve film - and especially a rare adaptation of a favourite SciFi book - was always going to make me go to the cinema. There's very little to compare with that darkened environment, short of emptying your bank account for a ludicrous media setup.

I've had my fair share of noisy munchers and smart-phone users, but TBH I find those incidents to form the minority of cinema experiences, possibly overstated as a complaint (I remember a fellow patron once loudly shushing others, for talking ... ... during the advertisements, so I question other people's tolerance for interruption anyway).

So I really hope Dune gets to not only play in the cinema, but also within an environment of broad social comfort for the masses to do so - because assuming this film isn't a complete stinker (and based on prior work, see no reason to believe this), it's the environment most deserving.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I have a perfectly capable set-up at home to watch movies, doing many a film justice (stopping short of those "wake the neighbours' dog" surround systems beloved of apartment dwellers); however, a Denis Villeneuve film - and especially a rare adaptation of a favourite SciFi book - was always going to make me go to the cinema. There's very little to compare with that darkened environment, short of emptying your bank account for a ludicrous media setup.

I've had my fair share of noisy munchers and smart-phone users, but TBH I find those incidents to form the minority of cinema experiences, possibly overstated as a complaint (I remember a fellow patron once loudly shushing others, for talking ... ... during the advertisements, so I question other people's tolerance for interruption anyway).

So I really hope Dune gets to not only play in the cinema, but also within an environment of broad social comfort for the masses to do so - because assuming this film isn't a complete stinker (and based on prior work, see no reason to believe this), it's the environment most deserving.

I'd much prefer to see it in a cinema myself.
    The issue I have with Villeneuve's lambasting of the move to HBO-max and cinema simultaneous release is solely the fact that he is making the broad claim that all cinemas are of at least a standard that will best allow his vision be seen on screen.

They aren't, far too many of our cinemas are guilty of poor screen calibration, poor cleanliness and poor sound.

Yes I'd love to see Dune in IMAX!
    Yes I'd love to know my doing that will contribute to at least the 2nd half of the proposed arc being finished.

That said, I don't have an IMAX local to me.
    My local cinemas, 3 of them so plenty of variety in screen and management are all apart from 2 screens in 1 particular cinema poor at best.
    Given those caveats...?

I'm happy to shift the money to WB via HBO Max and watch the movie in a comfortable and well setup home setting.
    Than I am to pay to go watch it in a poor cinema.

Villeneuve's stance regarding it demanding the cinema, is unless he is certifying that only top grade Villeneuve approved cinema setups are showing it?
    Moot.

Yes of course a good cinema experience is better, but there is dearth of good cinemas and WB need to start generating cashflow.
    So it's simultaneous releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

would have been at the 10:30 IMAX showing now ............. godamnit

peteeeed wrote: »
    would have been at the 10:30 IMAX showing now ............. godamnit

:(:(
    Today was to be THE day :(

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I've loved Dune since I read it as a teenager, and I have high hopes for Villeneuve's take on it, but what kind of reckless bull**** is that tweet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mikhail wrote: »
    I've loved Dune since I read it as a teenager, and I have high hopes for Villeneuve's take on it, but what kind of reckless bull**** is that tweet?

I had to read it a couple of times, to make sure I definitely wasn't getting it wrong. It is indeed a horribly reckless thing to spitball. Then again here we are talking about it, so who knows with marketing?

It's just rando Twitter account, peddling some clickbait news site.

The official Dune Twitter has a verified badge (as most legit movie accounts do):
    https://twitter.com/dunemovie

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I've had the trailer on repeat for a year now. The more I watch it, the more I think Denis is going to nail this. Hearing all the right noises in regards to artistic direction and whatnot. Even Hans Zimmer's excitement over the project is a great indication (and his cover of Eclipse? Unreal!)

Thought I'd be grand waiting almost another year, but then December rolled around and I clearly wasn't :pac: so I picked up the books again and re-read them. They really are fantastic books. There's an odd weird hazy psychedelic depth to them you just don't get with most books. It's almost jarring at first, but after the first few chapters you're sucked into that world. Completely 'out there' but also making sense within it's time setting.

Problem is I flew through them, probably the quickest I've read 3 books before (I'm generally a very slow reader!). So I rewatched the Denis Lynch version the other day...

I wish I hadn't. I had fond memories of that movie. I'm not sure if its the re-reading of the book or what, but it felt like a 'Dune in 60 Seconds' cut a school project would put together, some of the bits incredibly laughable. No wonder Lynch disconnected himself from it! Ouch.

Pretty confident with this one though. Did I hear right that it's split into two movies? i.e Book 1 and half book 2 in the first movie, etc? And has the 2nd movie already been shot?

I was hoping for news of it being released this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I was hoping for news of it being released this weekend.

How do you mean? Is the October date not confirmed?

.ak wrote: »
    How do you mean? Is the October date not confirmed?

Hoping for a leak or a surprise release.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

.ak wrote: »
    Pretty confident with this one though. Did I hear right that it's split into two movies? i.e Book 1 and half book 2 in the first movie, etc? And has the 2nd movie already been shot?

This film is half of the first book. The haven't shot the second film and possibly never will if this isn't a success.

Advertisement