Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Used car warranty with dealer - BMW vs Merceds

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can buy your own extended warranty. https://www.bmw-warranty.ie

There are different levels of cover from basic drivetrain to the top cover which is very similar to the warranty a BMW dealer will give you. The warranty is offered by a 3rd party company for BMW and is honored by the BMW network. The premium obviously gets more expensive as the car gets older and mileage gets higher as the risk of a failure increases. It also gets more expensive if there is a gap in warranty cover too so you really need to take out the extended warranty just as the old one expires. Alot of folks running M cars find that extended warranty worth it as if anything goes wrong on a M car it's eye wateringly expensive to put right.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mitra

https://approvedused.bmw.ie/vehicle/202009234103689

520d , 2016 with 50k miles and the luxury pack and a few other toys, hard to beat
    Back Home wrote: »
    Buy a Lexus Hybrid and forget about warranty :)

I love their Hybrid technology, build quality and like the exterior looks, but I just hate their cabin design and the layouts. Even that steering looks soo ugly. I wonder why don't they hire a proper designer for cabin:D

The newer models after 2018 are somewhat okay but they are a bit expensive, and there aren't many available in the used market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Just make sure you drive both extensively OP. As a long time BMW fan bought an F10 a few years ago and sold it a year later. Was a great spec (Luxury model) 2014 main dealer car with a 2 year warranty. It need over €3000 worth of warranty work in the first year, which was all handled without quibble from BMW, the warranty is really excellent, but it didn't inspire confidence for the years ahead. The interior was fantastic (far better then E-class IMO), sublime build quality, and the car looked great.

But the N47 diesel engine was a disappointment, performance was fine but it was too unrefined, the ride was average at best, it never settled off the motorway, and it was just wooden and dull to drive. Of all the cars I've owned it disappointment the most.

Replaced it with a petrol Superb and in many ways (comfort, equipment, infotainment, refinement, space) I feel it is the better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Just make sure you drive both extensively OP. As a long time BMW fan bought an F10 a few years ago and sold it a year later. Was a great spec (Luxury model) 2014 main dealer car with a 2 year warranty. It need over €3000 worth of warranty work in the first year, which was all handled without quibble from BMW, the warranty is really excellent, but it didn't inspire confidence for the years ahead. The interior was fantastic (far better then E-class IMO), sublime build quality, and the car looked great.

But the N47 diesel engine was a disappointment, performance was fine but it was too unrefined, the ride was average at best, it never settled off the motorway, and it was just wooden and dull to drive. Of all the cars I've owned it disappointment the most.

Replaced it with a petrol Superb and in many ways (comfort, equipment, infotainment, refinement, space) I feel it is the better car.
    I can't see why people think the f10 is so good.
    I thought the ride was okayish but lacking in comfort. The interior build quality was below an Audi but looked well.
    I have a feeling the op has a tight budget and I think is coming from a 07 avensis, this BMW is not the answer for them. Look they want it fair enough but there are always alternatives out there if they take there head out of the BMW bubble

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Back Home

Sublime build quality;) but needed 3000 grand in the first year:eek: Agree with you on the Superb, far far better car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 mitra

kermitpwee wrote: »
    I can't see why people think the f10 is so good.
    I thought the ride was okayish but lacking in comfort. The interior build quality was below an Audi but looked well.
    I have a feeling the op has a tight budget and I think is coming from a 07 avensis, this BMW is not the answer for them. Look they want it fair enough but there are always alternatives out there if they take there head out of the BMW bubble

Tbh I wasn't too into BMW that too not very particular about F10. When I thought of changing the car and figured out the budget, I started doing some search. In that process, I also came under a bit of peer pressure, so my attention went toward BMW, MB and Audi. I found that I could get a decent mileage F10 and there are plenty available in the used market. I was after F30 2Lt diesel but they are rare to find and as expensive as F10. I had a fair idea about N47 engine problems but as I read horror stories, I kind of decided to go with an approved car with 2 year warranty for some peace of mind.

My 07 1.6L Avensis is still in very good condition with 197k mileage. I hardly spend any money except for routine maintenance which is around €120 :D. Surprisingly it is so good that there isn't an audible squeaking noise. Just that there is no fun to drive.
    Until the lockdown hit last year, I was doing a decent mileage of around 15-18k a year. Even in 2020, I did around 10k. I like going on long drives for camping, hiking and weekend getaways to the country along atlantic coast. So considering all these I need a car which is dependable, practical with and also fun to drive.

Since you have inflicted this idea, now I started wondering what other options I have? :P
    Is Superb really a "Superb" car? Is it better than Passat or Mazda3/6 in terms of the overall package? I have heard a lot of praise but also a few criticisms as well. And any idea how is the Automatic transmission version? What other options I have pls, I don't mind good recommendations, thanks :)

mitra wrote: »
    Tbh I wasn't too into BMW that too not very particular about F10. When I thought of changing the car and figured out the budget, I started doing some search. In that process, I also came under a bit of peer pressure, so my attention went toward BMW, MB and Audi. I found that I could get a decent mileage F10 and there are plenty available in the used market. I was after F30 2Lt diesel but they are rare to find and as expensive as F10. I had a fair idea about N47 engine problems but as I read horror stories, I kind of decided to go with an approved car with 2 year warranty for some peace of mind.

My 07 1.6L Avensis is still in very good condition with 197k mileage. I hardly spend any money except for routine maintenance which is around €120 :D. Surprisingly it is so good that there isn't an audible squeaking noise. Just that there is no fun to drive.
    Until the lockdown hit last year, I was doing a decent mileage of around 15-18k a year. Even in 2020, I did around 10k. I like going on long drives for camping, hiking and weekend getaways to the country along atlantic coast. So considering all these I need a car which is dependable, practical with and also fun to drive.

Since you have inflicted this idea, now I started wondering what other options I have? :P
    Is Superb really a "Superb" car? Is it better than Passat or Mazda3/6 in terms of the overall package? I have heard a lot of praise but also a few criticisms as well. And any idea how is the Automatic transmission version? What other options I have pls, I don't mind good recommendations, thanks :)
    There isn't really any cars that are fun to drive in the budget your looking at.
    I guess fun to drive is all relative.
    If your going camping and hiking would you not consider an estate?
    One thing to consider is tyres and service isn't cheap for premium cars.
    The joy often goes out of them when they cost more than your used to run or your paying a loan on it.
    I'm not trying to put you off buying the BMW. Just make sure you know what your getting into.
    It can also be a brilliant feeling moving from an older run of the mill to a more premium car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sublime build quality;) but needed 3000 grand in the first year:eek: Agree with you on the Superb, far far better car.

Funny that I owned a VW Passat CC before my BMW, it developed a fracture in the gearbox at just over 2 years old that leaked transmission fluid onto the clutch and flywheel meaning all 3 had to be replaced. Sublime build quality indeed.

Some people cannot seem to get their heads around premium branded cars, they can still be a 60k car to fix when they break despite being bought for 1/3 that price second hand a few years down the road. BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc they are all the same. If people are not prepared for that then yes they are looking at the wrong car and better off sticking with something like a Superb.

As for fun to drive, this is a big heavy wide car, it's not a hot hatch. They are designed to eat motorway miles in comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Lol. Let's not forget that the f10 came out in 2010 whereas stalingrad is talking about a much newer model skoda superb. What was the superb like in 2010? :)

Wailin wrote: »
    Lol. Let's not forget that the f10 came out in 2010 whereas stalingrad is talking about a much newer model skoda superb. What was the superb like in 2010? :)
    Plenty of 2010 Superbs driving around with very high milage. I think the new hybrids will be even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭kirving

Totally different comparison between an F10 and a Gen3 Superb. 5 year difference in their release dates like.

A closer comparison would be against a petrol G30 from 2016

kirving wrote: »
    Totally different comparison between an F10 and a Gen3 Superb. 5 year difference in their release dates like.

A closer comparison would be against a petrol G30 from 2016

22k max budget and I can't see any 2016 petrols available

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

bazz26 wrote: »
    Funny that I owned a VW Passat CC before my BMW, it developed a fracture in the gearbox at just over 2 years old that leaked transmission fluid onto the clutch and flywheel meaning all 3 had to be replaced. Sublime build quality indeed.

Some people cannot seem to get their heads around premium branded cars, they can still be a 60k car to fix when they break despite being bought for 1/3 that price second hand a few years down the road. BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc they are all the same. If people are not prepared for that then yes they are looking at the wrong car and better off sticking with something like a Superb.

As for fun to drive, this is a big heavy wide car, it's not a hot hatch. They are designed to eat motorway miles in comfort.

Buying a premium brand car is an easy part, keeping it on the road is a hard part. Some people make a mistake by investing all their money in to premium brand car and expect it to be as reliable as Corrola. That never works. You have to be ready for something expensive to go and have a few quid spare.
    At least BMW warranty makes it easier, and so far, I heard it actually worth the paper its written on, but even then, it's not a silver bullet.

Tl:DR To be able to buy a premium car, does not mean you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭kirving

kermitpwee wrote: »
    22k max budget and I can't see any 2016 petrols available

Budget aside, the comparison between the two cars isn't on a level playing field, especially on refinement (petrol vs diesel), infotainment and equipment (2015 vs 2010).

The two cars are in different brackets, and of course you'll get more for your money in terms of technical specification with the Skoda.

I'm not particularly a fan of the F10 myself, and would probably have the Skoda all things considered (I was close to buying one actually) given the same budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Source from Northern Ireland if possible to get around new charges.....
    Car must be registered and within time frame in.the north too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

bazz26 wrote: »
    A 2015/2016 5 Series would be the F10 which was launched back in 2010. A 2015 E Class would be the older model which was launched back in 2010 also, a 2016 E Class would be the newer model that was launched that year. The newer E Class would be superior to the older 5 Series in regards modern tech, finish. The BMW would be more engaging to drive but the E Class would be a more comfortable place to sit in.

The two year BMW warranty is very comprehensive and will cover most major things, it's one of the better warranties you will find out there on a used car of that age especially among premium brands. I'd say reliability will be in or around the same on both. When premium cars break then tend to be expensive to fix.

Had the same experience. Just came from a CC to a G30 520D. The CC gave me a lot of trouble in the two and a half years I owned it. The last was a sensor failing in the DSG gearbox which would eventually lead to it not recognising the car being in park and not being able to lock it.
    Not only did the sensor have to be replaced, it needed a whole new gear lever system as the sensor was right at the bottom of it and couldnt be replaced on its own. Over €1700 to fix. Also had issues with coolants leaking that had to be sorted and other minor issues that werent consumables. Luckily I took an extended warranty at the time of purchase that covered most things.

Now I`m under no illusion that the BMW will be any more reliable but the 2 year warranty is great piece of mind when making a purchase.
    Mercedes would only offer 12 months with no option to extend. They told me I could look for a third party for another warranty.

As it happened I test drove both and much preferred the 520D over the E220D.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just going back to tbe fun to drive bit.
    Remember the op is coming from a 1.6 avensis.
    Now i once was given one of those for a couple of hours while my car was being serviced and also had a hire one at one stage - believe me, everything mentioned on this thread will be fun to drive after the avensis.
    They are just horrible horrible things.

mickdw wrote: »
    Just going back to tbe fun to drive bit.
    Remember the op is coming from a 1.6 avensis.
    Now i once was given one of those for a couple of hours while my car was being serviced and also had a hire one at one stage - believe me, everything mentioned on this thread will be fun to drive after the avensis.
    They are just horrible horrible things.
    Yes I had one very reliable but the most boring synthetic feeling car I ever had, but very cheap to maintain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wow - three million in its first year? :eek:

:rolleyes:
    Wow - three million in its first year? :eek:
    :rolleyes:
    Well It is a premium car:D

Advertisement