Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas 2021 Checklist

• 05-01-2021 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭

New Years Day
    Little Christmas
    Young Scientist will take place online
    Superbowl 7th Febuary
    St Valentines Day
    Pancake Tuesday 16th February
    Ash Wednesday 17th February
    300 days to go
    Mother's Day 14th March
    St Patrick’s Day
    Waffle Day- 25th March
    Clocks go forward 28th March
    Easter 4th April
    May Bank holiday
    Eurovision May 18th - 22nd
    June Bank Holiday
    200 Days to go
    UFFA Euro 11 June – 11 July 2021
    Father's Day 20th
    Longest Day of the Year
    All Ireland Finals
    Olympics start 23rd July
    August Bank Holiday
    Olympics end August 8th
    Brown Thomas Christmas Shop
    Schools return
    Late Late Show returns
    Tubs of sweets arrive
    Great British Bake Off
    100 days to go
    Ploughing Championships
    Strictly Come Dancing
    Smyth's, Boots, Argos catalogue
    Halloween HQ open stores
    Christmas cakes/puddings are made
    Gift sets/wrapping paper etc. begin to appear in shops
    Christmas Scratch Cards
    Most selection box, biscuits, sweets etc. in stock
    October Bank Holiday
    Halloween 31st October and clocks go back.
    1st November/out of season ends
    Christmas coffee cups
    Christmas ads
    Christmas Coca Cola bottles and ads.
    Ice Skating rinks open
    Cities/Shopping centres turn on their lights
    Santa Grottos open
    Christmas FM launches
    The Late Late Toy Show and Black Friday 26th November
    First Sunday of Advent 28th November
    December 1st
    Party food, brandy butter, etc. in store
    Christmas hams arrive in Supermarkets
    RTE Christmas guide
    Fresh Turkeys etc. in stock
    Shortest day of the year
    Work places/Schools get their Christmas holiday

Hopefully everything will take place.
    Post edited by Posy on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Loving the list looks more slick this year and loving we can mark one off already, I fear some on that list again will go by the wayside considering the number of cases at the moment but I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Very good fresh, lots to look forward to!!

Couple of small things, Mothers day should be before Paddys and Olympics end date should be 28th?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Excellent work.

Personally I'd have left out the first covid case reference, as you suggested yourself.
    And, if we have a 300 & 100 days to go, may as well add the 200 also.

Edit.
    Just to add, even seeing this gives me a little buzz... love seeing the path ahead, even if some of it is potentially up in the air, its great to see the stepping stones through the year laid out. Love it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Excellent work.

Personally I'd have left out the first covid case reference, as you suggested yourself.
    And, if we have a 300 & 100 days to go, may as well add the 200 also.

Edit.
    Just to add, even seeing this gives me a little buzz... love seeing the path ahead, even if some of it is potentially up in the air, its great to see the stepping stones through the year laid out. Love it.

Agreed, I deleted the covid one, it won't be one I personally want to celebrate or see again on the countdown next year.

I added the 200 days to go as it's an important milestone.

For me I LOVE Paddy's day and Easter as they are the glimmer of hope that holidays are coming. Then summer takes over and for me Christmas fades a bit... but then late August comes along with all the memories of starting back at school and Christmas appears on the horizon.

Then once mid-September hits 100 days to go it may as well be Christmas season as it flies in from there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's scary how fast the 100 days go! Faster than the first week of January, usually!!
    Loughc wrote: »
    Agreed, I deleted the covid one, it won't be one I personally want to celebrate or see again on the countdown next year.
    There is actually no first anniversary of the first covid case, so best to knock it off the list. :)

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    It's scary how fast the 100 days go! Faster than the first week of January, usually!!

Scarily accurate!

To be honest if 2021 goes half as fast 2020, we back in the thick of it before we know it :eek:

Just wondering if this thread should be pinned? It can easily get lost otherwise.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Just wondering if this thread should be pinned? It can easily get lost otherwise.

Seconded (not that it's required!)

It's recommended that forums try and have no more than 3 stickied threads, although not a hard and fast rule, of course- it's more for neatness and the general look of the forum.
    The trees thread would sink right to the bottom if unpinned, and the charter has got to be there, of course.

For now maybe we will keep the countdown thread as our third sticky thread, and see how the checklist goes?
    If it keeps dropping out of sight and is a hassle to find, we can certainly look at having a 4th sticky then. :)

• Advertisement

It's recommended that forums try and have no more than 3 stickied threads, although not a hard and fast rule, of course- it's more for neatness and the general look of the forum.
    The trees thread would sink right to the bottom if unpinned, and the charter has got to be there, of course.

For now maybe we will keep the countdown thread as our third sticky thread, and see how the checklist goes?
    If it keeps dropping out of sight and is a hassle to find, we can certainly look at having a 4th sticky then. :)

Sounds good.

Damm red tape. I blame Brexit :D

Bumping this as we have a few more to mark off early next week.

First figure in countdown will be a 2 before we know it :)

Superbowl and Valentines day crossed off the list.

Pancake Tuesday and Ash Wednesday looking nervous if I do say so myself.

Ash Wednesday can go now, next up 300 days in less than 2 weeks (28th Feb is day 300)

Despite being a Monday, I'm looking forward to March 1st, as it's... well, March, and will be Day 299. :)

Despite being a Monday, I'm looking forward to March 1st, as it's... well, March, and will be Day 299. :)

Start of Spring as well.......:P

:D

TRS30 wrote: »

Ahhhhhh :pac:

• Advertisement

The island is that way>>>>>

The island is that way>>>>>

I proper LOL’d at this.

Wife goes to me what you laughing at, I’m like you wouldn’t even believe me if I told you :pac:

Loughc wrote: »
    I proper LOL’d at this.

Wife goes to me what you laughing at, I’m like you wouldn’t even believe me if I told you :pac:

Glad someone copped it :D

Pure divilment :D

300 days to go is crossed off the list so that's a big milestone reached.

As Posy pointed out in the other thread, we're in Bank Holiday season, so if anything is going to make time go quick it's time off from work :)

Mothers day can be marked off now, or just wait until Wednesday & do Paddys day as well :D

Mothers day can be marked off now, or just wait until Wednesday & do Paddys day as well :D

Seems like the three, Mothers, Paddys & Easter, are on top of one another this year!

Seems like the three, Mothers, Paddys & Easter, are on top of one another this year!

Easter still over a fortnight away though, there was a couple of years ago they literally fell 3 weeks in a row IIRC, or close enough to it. 2018 I think!?

Easter still over a fortnight away though, there was a couple of years ago they literally fell 3 weeks in a row IIRC, or close enough to it. 2018 I think!?

A bit likes buses, nothing for ages and then 3 together!

• Advertisement

Browsing whilst waiting on the advert Final to give us a winner & noticed we can mark off Easter now too.

Advertisement