Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GTA4

Options
  • 17-02-2021 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭

Randomly bought GTA4 on Xbox one the other day as it was on sale for 8 euro. How could I not?

First time playing it in years. At least 10 years but probably 12 years I think. But man this game is awesome :)
    I remember it so well. From the great take on New York city to the man Niko himself. Who, imo, may just very well be the best GTA character. The banter between Niko and Roman is great too.

Sure GTA5 could be seen as technically the better game with better graphics, smoother gameplay etc. But I dunno, I am starting to think GTA4 might just be the better of the two games. I understand a lot of people love the GTA5 online aspect (sure it's made billions for Rockstar) But if the two solo campaigns were to be pitted side by side. Which do you think is more enjoyable?

Honestly for me I would go with GTA4. It's more gritty. Niko is a great character is the game has a certain charm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Randomly bought GTA4 on Xbox one the other day as it was on sale for 8 euro. How could I not?

First time playing it in years. At least 10 years but probably 12 years I think. But man this game is awesome :)
    I remember it so well. From the great take on New York city to the man Niko himself. Who, imo, may just very well be the best GTA character. The banter between Niko and Roman is great too.

Sure GTA5 could be seen as technically the better game with better graphics, smoother gameplay etc. But I dunno, I am starting to think GTA4 might just be the better of the two games. I understand a lot of people love the GTA5 online aspect (sure it's made billions for Rockstar) But if the two solo campaigns were to be pitted side by side. Which do you think is more enjoyable?

Honestly for me I would go with GTA4. It's more gritty. Niko is a great character is the game has a certain charm.

I actually hated the story of 4, but horses for courses I guess...

Are you playing on Series X?

I believe they have doubled the frame rate to 60fps which would make it smooth as butter...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

GTA IV > GTA V.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Fieldog wrote: »
    I actually hated the story of 4, but horses for courses I guess...

I believe they have doubled the frame rate to 60fps which would make it smooth as butter...

Xbox one original sadly.
    The shadows on some of the NPC's look mental. But the game wasn't always the cream of the crop in the graphical department even when it came out. But can be over looked due to the sheer size and detail of everything.

The story in 5 was good. But, as you say personal opinion, I like the idea of Niko being some stranger to Liberty City. It made for some funny jokes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found it the weakest. Niko who kept talking about being a nice guy and not wanting to be a criminal then goes on a homicidal rampage. It wasn't funny or well written. The 'friends' were annoying. The change from a fun cinematic driving model to a more realistic one made driving horrible and a chore and mission design was horrible, drive here, shoot that, drive somewhere else. No variety. It never sat right with me even at release.

The DLC at least were a lot more fun and interesting, they felt like what GTA4 should have been whereas GTA4 was a physics playground tech demo with a bare bones story.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The DLC at least were a lot more fun and interesting, they felt like what GTA4 should have been whereas GTA4 was a physics playground tech demo with a bare bones story.

The Lost and Damned is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did gta 5 ever get story dlc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did gta 5 ever get story dlc?

Nope

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I hated GTA 4, the characters and story didn't grip me at all, and the controls drove me mad. Think I gave it up about halfway through.

Actually haven't played GTA 5 on the back of this (And I'd rate 3, VC and SA amongst my favourite games ever). Is 5 worth playing if I didn't enjoy 4? No interest in online play.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I hated GTA 4, the characters and story didn't grip me at all, and the controls drove me mad. Think I gave it up about halfway through.

Actually haven't played GTA 5 on the back of this (And I'd rate 3, VC and SA amongst my favourite games ever). Is 5 worth playing if I didn't enjoy 4? No interest in online play.

Not the biggest GTA fan but can say despite my gripes with it it's an actual fun game unlike GTA4

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nope

Surprised by that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Surprised by that.

There were rumours it was in the works, but once multiplayer took off the way it did and became the ultimate cash cow, they focused on that instead.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I hated 4, I didn't get anywhere near finishing it. Found the driving ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I liked the realistic driving model, the problem was the cars were too slow and just not fun. Ballad of gay Tony fixed that somewhat with better cars added. The biggest culprit was lack of checkpoints. Some long tough missions where if you died, you'd be back facing a long drive again was an absolute pain. The Ricky Gervais stand-up in it is absolutely hilarious though.

Also, it has my favourite line of any GTA game.

"Hey cousin, you want to see some tee tee's with me?"
    "No Roman, i can't see some tee tee's with you right now, I'm busy". The delivery was so good.

In recent year's I've replayed 3, VC and SA on ps4 and played GTA 5 on 360 and Xbox One. I played 4 when it came out and finished it + DLC and couldn't bring myself to replay it today.

Also I think Saint's Row 2 was out that same year 2008 which was basically a GTA clone but a far better game if my memory holds up. I was with them until they went bonkers with that series :D

Fieldog wrote: »

As a Series X owner, this appeals to me.

As for GTA IV, I dip into it from time to time. I have a mototcycle parked outside the kip of an aparment in Alderney (yes the one with the wallpaper peeling off the wall and the ceiling light devoid of a lightshade).

Sometimes I would go for a night cruise on the motorcycle, or phone Brucie to find a local race. Or I might play pool with a randomer in the pool hall, maybe take a heli ride in a Higgins Helicopter. I always find something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I liked the realistic driving model, the problem was the cars were too slow and just not fun. Ballad of gay Tony fixed that somewhat with better cars added. The biggest culprit was lack of checkpoints. Some long tough missions where if you died, you'd be back facing a long drive again was an absolute pain. The Ricky Gervais stand-up in it is absolutely hilarious though.

Also, it has my favourite line of any GTA game.

"Hey cousin, you want to see some tee tee's with me?"
    "No Roman, i can't see some tee tee's with you right now, I'm busy". The delivery was so good.

I didn't mind the actual driving itself for the most part, it was the camera angle though. It was set way too low on all preset views which meant I pracrically had to crabclaw the controller to hold the right stick pushed slightly forward to keep the camera where I could see far enough ahead of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

IV never sat right with me. The cars annoyed me. Coming from the nonsense arcade-ish feeling of III/VC/SA, it was far too much of a change. The humour wasn't there enough. It took itself too seriously in too many places. And after a while, you could predict that the mission parts that involved car chases were just so painfully scripted to the point that there was no urgency to do anything other than drive carefully until you reached the predetermined place that the chase ended.

And a complaint of mine, which not many people share, is that the road system is crap. Ok, it has streets, lanes and highways with their ramps, but it seems like there's just too many roads on the maps. Like as if the % of city area covered by roads is unrealistically high.

I didn't enjoy it much when I played it first. I replayed it in anticipation of the PC release of V and it was a pain to finish the second time.

I'm playing The Lost and Damned at the moment, and I love the activities in the game. Hi-lo card game, pool, arm wrestling and QUB3D (all those can be played in the clubhouse) and of course you have darts, bowling and air hockey.

I loved playing Johnny in the game, liked the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    GTA IV > GTA V.

Or...

Vice City > San Andreas > GTA IV > GTA 5

I'd love an update of Vice City. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

GTA 4 was a great game, problem was it came after Vice City which introduced so much after GTA 3, which was phenomenal at the time when first released. I don't have a favourite, every GTA has been a step up from the last but the previous titles shouldnt be taken anything away from from. I still have the top down GTA 2 on the shelf which got me in to the series.

Guess my point is, they are all brilliant in their own way on how we remember them, but each series are fantastic games so I wouldn't put anyone above the rest as I have serious memories of each one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

AidoEirE wrote: »
    GTA 4 was a great game, problem was it came after Vice City which introduced so much after GTA 3, which was phenomenal at the time when first released. I don't have a favourite, every GTA has been a step up from the last but the previous titles shouldnt be taken anything away from from. I still have the top down GTA 2 on the shelf which got me in to the series.

Guess my point is, they are all brilliant in their own way on how we remember them, but each series are fantastic games so I wouldn't put anyone above the rest as I have serious memories of each one.

Do you mean San Andreas? Vice city was 2002, SA in 2004. Though the PSP games of Liberty City Stories and Vice City stories were later released for the PS2.

To be honest I recently played GTA IV on PC. I last played it in 2013 on PS3. It’s amazing how dated it looks. This is on a nvidia RTX 2070, it burns the eyes out of me. GTA V is perfect. Better than on the PS5, though they are apparently releasing a HDR version for it. There’ll be no GTA VI for a few years as GTA online is a massive cash cow for them.

Do you mean San Andreas? Vice city was 2002, SA in 2004. Though the PSP games of Liberty City Stories and Vice City stories were later released for the PS2.

To be honest I recently played GTA IV on PC. I last played it in 2013 on PS3. It’s amazing how dated it looks. This is on a nvidia RTX 2070, it burns the eyes out of me. GTA V is perfect. Better than on the PS5, though they are apparently releasing a HDR version for it. There’ll be no GTA VI for a few years as GTA online is a massive cash cow for them.

I did forget San Andreas your dead right! But as a whole that could be down me not having had as many play throughs as the rest. I know there's some big love for SA and its warranted.

Always find the threads of gta games funny, they are all bloody brilliant. They all age and progress with each title.

GTA 6 will blow our minds no doubt.

Online a very big cash cow on GTA 5, but its getting dated to a point. I don't play online and only dabbled but if you were to judge the money they could make on the gta 5 online platform....

But release gta 6 on the ps5 in say 2/3/4 years with online features that actually works on launch. Christ your talking Billions in cash per games per sale and in game purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Online a very big cash cow on GTA 5, but its getting dated to a point. I don't play online and only dabbled but if you were to judge the money they could make on the gta 5 online platform....

But release gta 6 on the ps5 in say 2/3/4 years with online features that actually works on launch. Christ your talking Billions in cash per games per sale and in game purchases.

Yeah Rockstar can just print money on demand at this point, GTA 5 is still going strong after 8 fecking years, probably stronger then ever thanks to the modding of the RP community be class if they worked with them for online in a new GTA as i have put way too many hours into RP servers.

Not sure what the player count on Red Dead Online is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I did a mission for a UL paper guy and upon meeting him Niko says "are you fib?"

To which the agent replies with "Fib? Do I look homosexual to you?" :pac:

I don't think you'd be seeing such humour in the next GTA lol.

^ Did you and cousin Roman go bowling yet? :)

awec wrote: »
    I hated 4, I didn't get anywhere near finishing it. Found the driving ridiculous.
    I don't mind the driving much in IV. I mostly use motorbikes to get around so you can weave in and out of traffic. Much prefer to use them than going around in a cage.

Bowling with cousin Roman is a lovely pastime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The only real gripe I can remember is the constant calls to do something social with someone. Ah, I avoid that in real life, I don't want it in my games! Other than that, the other complaint I had is that once you finished, you're still a broke ass immigrant and feel like you accomplished nothing.

If they are remaking it, nothing short of new gen graphics will sway my feelings after the crap show that was the trilogy. I've no faith in Rockstar anymore.

Advertisement