Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Timber Frame 2 storey

• 15-02-2021 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hey,

Has anyone a blog about building a timber frame 2 storey house or any recommendations on companies etc.

Can't find much info from people who have built with it.

Pros and cons.

Can you have a concrete first floor or does it have to be joists?
    Soundproofing etc.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Are you building a one off?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Gumbo wrote:
    Are you building a one off?

Yea, not building a housing estate or anything.

Yea, not building a housing estate or anything.

If you want concrete first floors then traditional block built it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Gumbo wrote: »
    If you want concrete first floors then traditional block built it is.

Up the road from me there is a one off new build ICF. Ist floor precast craned in.

Would ICF be able to support slab or might there be some steel helping ?

0lddog wrote: »
    Up the road from me there is a one off new build ICF. Ist floor precast craned in.

Engineer will decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

0lddog wrote: »

ICF will be able to support slab in most cases (certainly in any case where block could). Some of the ICF systems also have an integrated poured floor system.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 shellda1

Hey,

Has anyone a blog about building a timber frame 2 storey house or any recommendations on companies etc.

Can't find much info from people who have built with it.

Pros and cons.

Can you have a concrete first floor or does it have to be joists?
    Soundproofing etc.

Any help appreciated.

I'm just finishing off a two storey timber frame and I have a 50mm concrete screed on the 1st floor so it can certainly be done. Engineer spec'd 253mm eco joists to support the weight and spans.

shellda1 wrote: »
    I'm just finishing off a two storey timber frame and I have a 50mm concrete screed on the 1st floor so it can certainly be done. Engineer spec'd 253mm eco joists to support the weight and spans.

Yeas, I've seen a good few timberframe with first floor screeded on pozijoists or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

There's a difference between a timber floor structure supporting a concrete screed and a concrete floor structure supporting a concrete screed.

When someone talks about a "concrete" first floor it is worth clarifying which of the above they mean!

The OP mentioned Concrete First Floor. If its a screed they are talking about, then this whole thread can go in a different direction. Two separate things with 2 different answers.

• Advertisement

I just meant any concrete barrier between floors, I currently live in a house with timber joists supporting the floor and the noise travels through like there's nothing there

shellda1 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
    What company did you use to do the timber frame?

Why did you decide to go for timber over block?

Trying to figure out which suits me best.

Thanks for the reply.
    What company did you use to do the timber frame?

Why did you decide to go for timber over block?

Trying to figure out which suits me best.

I had -snip- do the timber frame kit but I would not recommend them to anyone. They delayed us for months and their quality of workmanship and attitude was terrible.

Ironically I went with timber frame for speed, I wanted to be in the house for September for kids starting school but because of the supplier and covid that didn't happen. Also I wanted to get as close to passive spec as i could.

If going timber frame I would advise to get an NSAI certified company to do it for you.

I had -snip- do the timber frame kit but I would not recommend them to anyone. They delayed us for months and their quality of workmanship and attitude was terrible.

Ironically I went with timber frame for speed, I wanted to be in the house for September for kids starting school but because of the supplier and covid that didn't happen. Also I wanted to get as close to passive spec as i could.

If going timber frame I would advise to get an NSAI certified company to do it for you.

Legally they have to be registered with the NSAI.

Wasn't aware of that, anywhere I can get info on that?

Wasn't aware of that, anywhere I can get info on that?

https://www.thenbs.com/PublicationIndex/documents/details?Pub=NSAI&DocID=306403

I remember some controversy on a development where it turned out the timber frame supplier didn't have NSAI certification recently enough, wonder is this the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Certainly 1st floor screed is no problem and very common with timber frame.
    Hollowcore 1st floor would be crazy.

mickdw wrote: »
    Certainly 1st floor screed is no problem and very common with timber frame.
    Hollowcore 1st floor would be crazy.

The only way to do a slab first floor would be to build block or steel supports, negating the point in going TF in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

RandRuns wrote: »
    The only way to do a slab first floor would be to build block or steel supports, negating the point in going TF in the first place.

Yes id agree fully. While its common to have alot of steel built into larger timber frame structures, wanting a hollowcore first floor would basically result in a steel framed structure with timber infill.
    No sense at all to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Jacobs_Stripe

Hey just hopping on the post here, hope you don’t mind.

Just a quick question.. does anyone know what quality timber new builds are built to these days?

And generally what is the pros and cons for timber new builds v’s concrete builds?

If the timber new build is A2 energy rating does it mean that it has concrete in it already has it would have to be heavily insulated? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 14 M1andM2

Hey,

Did you get any recommendations or warnings for Timber Frame companies? Would you mind sending me a PM of them if you have please? Looking to build a Timber frame and want to compare the quote to any reviews.

Thanks.

Advertisement