Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valheim (EA )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

I'm in work and all I'm thinking of is getting home to play it, can't remember the last time I felt like that about a game, I rarely play anything these days.
    Great info on /r/valheim

I've build 2 bases now and have portals set up connecting biomes but I'm going to build my big base on a moat with staircase to the sea in the meadows, reading reports of trolls attacking your village, can't have that! Already defended against an attack and just don't want to risk it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

KilOit wrote: »
    I'm in work and all I'm thinking of is getting home to play it, can't remember the last time I felt like that about a game, I rarely play anything these days.
    Great info on /r/valheim

I've build 2 bases now and have portals set up connecting biomes but I'm going to build my big base on a moat with staircase to the sea in the meadows, reading reports of trolls attacking your village, can't have that! Already defended against an attack and just don't want to risk it

You better believe it , my base got attacked by 3 trolls and about 20 skeletons lastnight.
    I was half way through putting stone walls outside of existing wooden spike fence surrounding base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Dcully wrote: »
    It's insane, looking at it with envious eyes. For me though things would have to be closer together but gives me great ideas. Love his shipyard

KilOit wrote: »
    It's insane, looking at it with envious eyes. For me though things would have to be closer together but gives me great ideas. Love his shipyard

Yeah i loved that part too, its the farming materials that is the tough bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ah here,you would need a group or to have no life to build all that:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Think I need to watch some YouTube vids because this isn't clicking at all for me. I'm finding building immensely frustrating, I'm trying to build a little shack and getting the roof on is just a nightmare. I also need loads of leather and see a boar about once every two days. I get this is a me problem as the game is wildly popular but yeah, not finding much fun so far.

Edit - I think I need to pack up and get away from the area where you start the game. From watching a few vids I see there are houses around that you can fix up and move into. Will give that a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Think I need to watch some YouTube vids because this isn't clicking at all for me. I'm finding building immensely frustrating, I'm trying to build a little shack and getting the roof on is just a nightmare. I also need loads of leather and see a boar about once every two days. I get this is a me problem as the game is wildly popular but yeah, not finding much fun so far.

Build roof you need a ladder to reach

Boar's, you need to set up a pen and lure two boar's in and then feed berries mushrooms to tame. Once done they start breading and when it gets a lot you cull. Regular source of meat and leather at the base.

I'm starting to think any arrows except wood are a waste of resources. The damage of an arrow seems to be heavily weighted towards your bow and skill. Having better arrows gives you a little more damage but it seems to be marginal. Sure if you've got some spare flint, make flint arrows but spending bronze or iron to make arrows is insanity.

I'm starting to think any arrows except wood are a waste of resources. The damage of an arrow seems to be heavily weighted towards your bow and skill. Having better arrows gives you a little more damage but it seems to be marginal. Sure if you've got some spare flint, make flint arrows but spending bronze or iron to make arrows is insanity.

I've tons of the fire arrows,overflowing with resin so might aswell take the tiny bit extra damages with the fire dot.

The biggest buff to damage with the bow is getting headshots.

A fine bow with flame arrows,half decent bow skill and headshots will take down a troll pretty quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

EoinHef wrote: »
    I've tons of the fire arrows,overflowing with resin so might aswell take the tiny bit extra damages with the fire dot.

A fine bow with flame arrows,half decent bow skill and headshots will take down a troll pretty quick

I haven't experimented but anecdotally I feel like ordinary or flint raw damage is best as the DOT damage doesn't seem that great and the impact damage of the fire arrow is lower I think?

I can kill a troll now in like 5 flint arrows if I get sneak damage on the first shot followed by stagger/crit damage.

EoinHef wrote: »

I didn't think there were headshots in this. I could be wrong though. I thought damage multipliers came from two things: if the enemy hasn't seen you yet or if they are staggered.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah its just one hitbox, extra damage if staggered or you're not seen yet. Hence why crouching is sometimes beneficial, you can get closer etc

Also multiple hits in a row seems to do more damage with melee weapons

Its will be very interesting to see it develop now with all the money at their disposal.
    Its been a phenomenon so far, hopefully they keep their feet on the ground and dont allow some mega rich company come in and dictate the direction it goes.
    The potential is infinite with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its will be very interesting to see it develop now with all the money at their disposal.
    Its been a phenomenon so far, hopefully they keep their feet on the ground and dont allow some mega rich company come in and dictate the direction it goes.

Hopefully hire more staff, only 5 of them :eek:

its more feature complete that 7 Days to Die and it only took them 8 years to hire more staff.

I didn't think there were headshots in this. I could be wrong though. I thought damage multipliers came from two things: if the enemy hasn't seen you yet or if they are staggered.

I was getting yellow numbers shooting trolls in the head area and white numbers hitting them in the body with the same arrows,the fire ones.

I havent looked anything up thats just my experience. They are going down quick at this point.

Also different enemies are more susceptible to different types of damage,skellys for example take more damage from blunt weapons than piercing weapons.

Ill test it out next time I'm on. Had a quick Google to see if i could find some sort of definitive answer to a few of these types of questions but no joy. Just keep getting the same results from reddit in the search:(

EDIT:
    From the wiki entry on trolls
    One of the most effective ways to take down a troll is to use a ranged weapon and kite them from a distance while slowly whittling away at their health. Fire arrows are very effective with this strategy as you will do constant damage whilst kiting.

Headshots with ranged weapons will deal extra damage, and will occasionally stun the Troll.

Yes you are correct on the weapon types. Forgot about that. I've also been abstaining from googling so anything I say is my own experience. I think the colours relate to how effective the weapon type is.

Yes you are correct on the weapon types. Forgot about that. I've also been abstaining from googling so anything I say is my own experience. I think the colours relate to how effective the weapon type is.

I'm pretty much the same,just been plodding along. Check the wiki for the odd thing but other than that mostly happy to learn through play.

It doesn't seem like there's much online bar the wiki anyway. Mostly just other players sharing their experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Really good point!

They probably have in the tens of millions now even after taking out Steam/publisher/marketing/tax/etc cuts and if the team is really small as mentioned, they could probably keep working on it indefinitely if they want. They're already teamed up with Coffee Stain as a publisher so not sure if anything will change on that front.

• Advertisement

And the mods have started:D

www.pcgamer.com/uk/valheim-plus-mod-adds-shared-map-system-advanced-building-modes-and-more/

Not gonna bother with mods for now but really look forward to seeing what modders can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well its cool the game has good mod support (if someone got one out within 3 weeks) as that will keep the game ticking along.

Will be interesting to see how far people can mod; will we see new biomes/enemies/plants/tree types etc? Maybe give spears more range than a limp wristed slap....

2nd boss is up for me next,I've full troll armor including the cape,finewood bow,bronze sword and buckler.

Made my first portal at home base,going to bring the mats for another that im going to put down somewhat close to the second boss area,which is a good trek away.

I'm hoping if I die a few times that the portal will make the trek back handy enough.

Anyone found the merchant? Can't find him at all:(

Yeah found him pretty quickly on my island good bit away from starting area but no need for a boat.
    2nd boss is easy, just kite with fire arrows and stand behind stuff when he shoots out root yokes, he also summons roots on you just run away from the area when he starts to summon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I got a dedicated server up during the week so the girlfriend and myself can play on the same world.
    I spent the whole day today taming boars no other progress. Which is basically just me luring wild boars into a pen.
    I think I'm playing this game wrong.

Making a boar farm was fun https://streamable.com/xw7gzp

Ignore the super bowl in the background

I got a dedicated server up during the week so the girlfriend and myself can play on the same world.
    I spent the whole day today taming boars no other progress. Which is basically just me luring wild boars into a pen.

Unless your in a group of focused players i think this is the way,its a slow grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

No you have it nailed it, play it whatever way you want.

48 hours into my solo world ive had a blast but with just one boss left im finding the game turning into a building game which is a shame for me personally.
    Ive nothing left to do but to sail to the final boss and kill him then theres nothing left but turn to improving my bases which doesnt really interest me.
    However im looking forward to new biomes,bosses,gear as the game evolves in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Maybe give spears more range than a limp wristed slap....

Middle mouse to throw just in case you missed it.

Advertisement