Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking forum

18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ronald Franz

whippet wrote: »
    I've decided to take ....

There is a lot of great information and examples of pipe restorations at dadspipes.com if any of the pipes need a bit more than a basic clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Hi all,well i am on a roll,the pipe hobby is making strides,i got myself a savinelli grezza pipe,i got a rattrays good deal,and a couple of estate pipes,Tobaccco wise yes it is a pain in the butt ordering online for many reasons,i did find a shop that sold condor and special virgina,condor not my thing but for an OTC special virgina is ok,wil do to fill the gap when saving a few shillings to buy some tobacco online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

Anywhere in Dublin that sells otc pipe tobacco?

Mech1 wrote: »

yep but ya have condor,and special virgina,im sure mild virginia at one stage,condor for me is a no go,some love it some hate it,special virgina is ok,if stuck.unless anyone else can add to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Mech1 wrote: »

James Fox opposite Trinity gates or Peterson further up in Nassau street. Fox’s used to do a selection pack with a couple of pipefulls of each of their most popular brands.

• Advertisement

Rosahane wrote: »
    James Fox opposite Trinity gates or Peterson further up in Nassau street. Fox’s used to do a selection pack with a couple of pipefulls of each of their most popular brands.

I have tryed a few off their range,and all good if i must say,petersons do not do online sales as far as i can see,which is a pity..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TrangiaCoffee

Rosahane wrote: »

It's cheaper to buy petersons or j fox tobacco online from US stores (including shipping) than buying from the store.

It's cheaper to buy petersons or j fox tobacco online from US stores (including shipping) than buying from the store.

Shop local. If footfall sales decline to the uneconomic level shops close and we are all the poorer. I'd be interested to see a price comparison and examples from your experience, especially if you only want a tin or two!

Looking to purchase a cheap 9mm pipe, funds are low..Is it worth taking a look in at petersons or do they only sell in store what they have online,or can anyone point me in the right direction, have you bought a pipe of late that was great value? cheers in advance
    (Or even second hand estate pipes ,apart from ebay is there any recommendations on where to look?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

lolokeogh wrote: »
    Looking to purchase a cheap 9mm pipe, funds are low..Is it worth taking a look in at petersons or do they only sell in store what they have online,or can anyone point me in the right direction, have you bought a pipe of late that was great value? cheers in advance
    (Or even second hand estate pipes ,apart from ebay is there any recommendations on where to look?
    I bought my last few (2nd hand) pipes on eBay. There is a good selection of them, but it happened my purchases came from the same seller over the years.

I also got one custom made a few years ago. Like it a lot.

• Advertisement

Hi all what is the time scale on average for tobacco to get from newyok to dublin,my first order of 2 tins came well within 2 weeks or ordering,my next order was put in on the 14th of may,still nothing,again 2 small tins,is there a chance its been caught?or is this the usual time scale??thanks in advance folks for any light that can be shed on this.
    ps
    This is the last email i have on the package "Your item departed a transfer airport in DUBLIN, IRELAND on May 21, 2021 at 12:21 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

https://jamesfox.ie/collections/james-fox-pipes Are as cheap as you will get. If your in Dublin call in and look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Hi all what is the time scale on average for tobacco to get from newyok to dublin,my first order of 2 tins came well within 2 weeks or ordering,my next order was put in on the 14th of may,still nothing,again 2 small tins,is there a chance its been caught?or is this the usual time scale??thanks in advance folks for any light that can be shed on this.
    ps
    This is the last email i have on the package "Your item departed a transfer airport in DUBLIN, IRELAND on May 21, 2021 at 12:21 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

I don't know if you have got them since, you probably have but sometimes they take their time in customs so I wouldn't worry. If customs keep them, they will send you a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Anyone buy pipe tobacco online since the new VAT rules came in? Has there been anything different?

Hi all.just taking a look at james foxes site,i was thinking of trying one of their own brand pipes,a 9mm.has anyone any experience with these pipes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

Hi

I recently bought the James Fox Grafton Bent Billiard 9mm Pipe as my first smoking pipe. Loved it from the start and they through in a tin of Celtic James Fox Tobacco. Absolutely beautiful. Since then i was gifted a Peterson and bough a Savinelli myself and whilst these are beautiful pipes i cant help going back to my James Fox pipe. Maybe its just because it was my first pipe but i love the size and feel of it and it seems just as hood quality as Peterson and Savinelli. Hope that helps. Good luck on your piping adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

Can anyone tell me where i can buy pipe tobacco online apart from Peterson and James Fox. Or are they the only places?

Any info much appreciated

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Any large newsagent-type shop should have popular brands at least. Any shop that sells cigars would be a good bet as well.

Edit: post doesn't want to go through, for some reason...

Not your ornery onager

Hi all maybe try rattle some memorys,and a question a friend put to me,im thinking 1960s, and his grandad here in ireland smoked a tobacco on which the think carried a logo of a native indian?

Advertisement