Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Augme

It will be a shocking indictment on the women's game if Serena wins another slam. She's 39 and clearly well past her best. Sabalenka lack of experience showed today. Couldn't deal with the pressure in the third I felt and she needed to be able to adapt a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Augme wrote: »
    It will be a shocking indictment on the women's game if Serena wins another slam. She's 39 and clearly well past her best. Sabalenka lack of experience showed today. Couldn't deal with the pressure in the third I felt and she needed to be able to adapt a lot better.

I dunno, she is 39 and unquestionably past her peak but that peak was some way beyond what all the others could achieve, so i think "shocking indictment" is a bit ott. Federer was on the cusp of turning 38 when he came within a whisker of winning wimbledon, i dont recall did people say that was an indictment of the mens game? Anyway, i dont think she'll win it but she'll have earned it if she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Djokovic certainly not 100% here but Raonic doesn't have the variety or movement to make it interesting.
    Raonic is somehow now 30, and carrying a small bit of timber. At once stage I thought he had a slam in him (Wimbledon), alas not to be.

Thiem losing is a big one, if Djokovic continues to labor, that side of the draw is wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Aside from his hairline Federer still looks largely the same as he did 10 years ago, Serena most certainly does not.

I dunno, she is 39 and unquestionably past her peak but that peak was some way beyond what all the others could achieve, so i think "shocking indictment" is a bit ott. Federer was on the cusp of turning 38 when he came within a whisker of winning wimbledon, i dont recall did people say that was an indictment of the mens game? Anyway, i dont think she'll win it but she'll have earned it if she does.

I think the discussion of the gap between the big 3 and the rest of the field has often been used has a huge criticism on the state of the other players? I felt the same about Federrer just getting to the final, outside of djokovic the talent in men's tennis at that time was really poor. At the tine the argument was that a lot of good players outside those two were still very young and raw, so fair enough. Those excuses are gone now though. So I think a Nadal and Djokovic final in this years Australian open would be a shocking indictment on the calibre and level of tennis outside of those two tbh.

She will definitely have earned it though, I won't disagree with that. Given her age to win this tournament will be the greatest accomplishment in her career.

• Advertisement

I think the discussion of the gap between the big 3 and the rest of the field has often been used has a huge criticism on the state of the other players? I felt the same about Federrer just getting to the final, outside of djokovic the talent in men's tennis at that time was really poor. At the tine the argument was that a lot of good players outside those two were still very young and raw, so fair enough. Those excuses are gone now though. So I think a Nadal and Djokovic final in this years Australian open would be a shocking indictment on the calibre and level of tennis outside of those two tbh.

She will definitely have earned it though, I won't disagree with that. Given her age to win this tournament will be the greatest accomplishment in her career.

Yeah, i think that's fair comment. I dont think there's any doubt serena is in decline frankly. Hasnt won a gs in 4 years and been beaten in straight sets her last 4 finals. Thought she moved ok and showed great defence this morning, considering i doubt any female player hits the ball harder than sabalenka, but i think the hard work really starts now. Sabalenka is limited, unless she's able to dominate and bully her opponent, she often struggles and she's nowhere mentally streetwise enough. Halep/osaka/barty - if it goes that way - are all much more formidable tests so if she can negotiate that, then i'd be pretty confident she'll more than have earned it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Battle of the crocks here. Raonic is definitely carring some weight. Just missed an easy drive volley.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Raoinc 0-40 at 4-4. Gone here i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

She's a disgusting racist fat pig of a "woman" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Williams to beat Halep, and probably Osaka and Barty to win the AO?
    Can't see that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Halep is showing great fight as usual and I think she is improving with the matches.

Swiatek was exceptional first set - she definitely wins more titles in the future.
    Halep just upped her game, used her experience to change tact to win easily in the end.

I'd love Halep to win the title, but her route is so tough, but its possible, Osaka could easily have lost last night.

Serena Williams will be desperate as her time is limited to be record breaking, but can't see her doing it, unless everyone in her path gets injured or something.

Thought halep was the most impressive of the performances i saw, just very solid, scare she got from Tomljanovic really seems to have settled her. Osaka is understandably favourite but can tend to drift out of matches for some reason, just a seed of doubt for me. Not seen much of barty yet. Thinkin halep from here but its very open.

I didn't see the halep match but she is the worst opponent for Serena as well. She has the experience and nous that Sabalenka lacked. Osaka also should have been dumped out but Muguruza just didn't have the composure. She's a very tricky opponent. If any of those three win it they will have really deserved it, really tough.

I have to say Thiem has been the biggest disappointment of the tournament. I really expected him to push on after his US open win. Even on the back of a 5 setter, getting dumped out by a player like Dimitrov is really poor.

Carnage on the mens side, Ruud injured and concedes after 2 sets. Berratini gives a walkover to Tsitsipas. Nadal dispatches Fognini in 3. Medvedev wins in 3.

What a player ...

543688.jpg

The fun starts now for Nadal. Tsitsipas, Medvedev or Rublev and then probably Djokovic. You can't say he won't have earned it if he gets through that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The fun starts now for Nadal. Tsitsipas, Medvedev or Rublev and then probably Djokovic. You can't say he won't have earned it if he gets through that list.
    If Djokovic makes it to the final in his current state, it will be a shocking indictment on the state of the mens game. Make or break time for Zverev in the next round I think

Zverev... if there's one "top" player I'd fancy to choke to an injured Djokovic it would be him.

Thiem out of sorts and now out, Djokovic playing through an injury. That side of the draw is very poor. I'd fancy Djokovic to make the final and he might be in better shape by the weekend than he is now.

Tsitsipas is a chump will roll over 3-0 for Nadal.

The only people that can realistically beat him are Thiem - Gone, Djokovic - injured ....
    the last hope is Medvedev, but just can't see it ...

I am amazed however that bookies don't seem to see this and always give him long odds at the start of the tournaments - throwing money away...

I wonder what happened to Ruud? Looked to be moving ok in the TB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Didn't know Jessie Pegula's father is worth an estimated €5 billion, but that is neither here or there, she earned her place herself in the quarterfinals.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Didn't know Jessie Pegula's father is worth an estimated €5 billion, but that is neither here or there, she earned her place herself in the quarterfinals.

He owns the Buffalo Bills american football team as well.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Really looking forward to the Osaka-Hsieh match. Head to head is 3-1 in Osaka's favour, but Hsieh can really trouble Osaka. Got a win over her back in Miami 2019 and all three of their hard court matches have gone the distance. Having said that though, I think Osaka will win easily enough this time around. She's not gonna get through a tough three setter from Muguruza to lose to Hsieh. Osaka in two I'm thinking... but will be rooting for Hsieh!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

WTF is Serena Williams "wearing" vs Halep ATM??

Looks like she's half-dressed.

The f*cking STATE of williams ... she is a f*cking embarassment!!!

Her big fat massive arsehole

Halep going out here, by the looks of it.

Yet another injury in the mens, Dimitrov goes out to Karatsev

Disappointing for halep from 3-1 up second set. Never really in it though, never able to impose her game plan, never got serena moving, second serve repeatedly pummelled. Only two back hand winners all match summed it up.

A comfortable win for serena. Halep was very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Zverev takes the first set but looks like Djokovic will take the 2nd.
    Lots of service breaks in this match so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭sxt

Zerev needs to step up this set. He should be fitter than a guy 10 years older.

Advertisement