Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you really miss doing ?

• 15-02-2021 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I know everyone misses Family/Friends but what do you really miss doing that you can't do right now due to restrictions and Covid?

I miss travel. A lot.
    I miss going out to dinner with my Husband and friends.
    I miss Concerts and Matches.
    I miss watching the kids play their matches from the sidelines.
    I miss going to the Hairdresser !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Living a life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The spontaneous walking into a pub, ordering that first pint, and within the next half hour a cohort of your friends have joined you without prior arrangement.

A breakaway somewhere in Ireland with the other half, and stumbling across a rural pub with a bit of music session like this going on:

That excitement after passing through security in the airport knowing your only a few hours away from some foreign country.

The reverberation around a packed stadium during a inter-county GAA game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Going to matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Pretty much everything

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Be right back

Hugging people.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Going to matches.

Watching my kids play sport/dancing/drama

Pints

Golf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Pints.

Buying clothes (I don't do online generally)

Working.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Shaking someone's hand, be it a stranger or a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Climbing a hill in the middle of nowhere in all weather and being the only one for miles around.
    But no, can't do that.
    Covid'll get ya.

• Advertisement

The spontaneity of living. Not Groundhog Day. Everything .

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shaddupayaface

Having the freedom to go and visit my parents for a couple of hours without having to rehearse some bullsh!t excuse why i’m 5km from my home.

Championship football matches in the summer and pints after it with the lads.
    Heading to the pub when you want too
    Random weekends away.
    Football trips across the pond.
    Getting on a plane and heading away to the sun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

I miss the Duomo as seen from the Belvedere where I kissed a beautiful girl..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Going on a random drive.

Playing and watching football.

Pints with friends.

Travelling.

A nice relaxing haircut.

Not interacting with annoying Guards.

People minding their own business.

Freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

Really miss knowing what day of the week it is....every day feels like a weird mix of a Good Friday and bank holiday Monday... .. have to start buying the daily news paper again and delete the Journal app !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A match. Rugby or hurling, of a Saturday or Sunday. Train into town, meeting friends and cousins, a pint or two before and after, maybe a late bite to eat, restaurant pizza or a curry.

Its the sort of good day a person needs to balance out the odd bad one.

I've heard said the secret to happiness is, someone to love, something to do and something to look forward to. I think 2 and 3 are a struggle for many this last year. Those have difficulty with No 1 also makes for a tough time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Travel. Honestly used spend half the time between trips perusing travel sites. My mental health is really starting to toil now being stuck not only on an island I don't especially like but within 5km of Waterford of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Travel. Honestly used spend half the time between trips perusing travel sites. My mental health is really starting to toil now being stuck not only on an island I don't especially like but within 5km of Waterford of all places.

Sweet mother of god. Tell me you're on the Kilkenny side at least? :)

Going to the gym, riding my motorbike further than the distance to work. Everything else that we took for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

josip wrote: »
    Sweet mother of god. Tell me you're on the Kilkenny side at least? :)

Not that it has a "good" side, but how would that be an improvement? Sure you'd need to deal with the gardai for something as simple as a trip to Tesco or Lidl then. But no, I'm not on any side of it. Slap bang in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lucky enough here and appreciate all I/we have - there are people in far worse situations.

I miss meeting people though - be that for a game of golf, at a match, in town, dropping the kids off at whatever they are doing.

Probably makes me appreciate more what I do have and perhaps look more kindly on those with limited mobility or a disability, or indeed a mental illness.
    There's lots of things I don't miss too - so the future will be interesting.

Lets hope things start to be less restricted over the coming weeks and months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I miss the sea. I would have gone to the coast several times per month, but haven't seen the sea since last February.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Not waking up everyday wondering if i should top myself.

The upcoming mental health crisis will be like nothing ever seen before. Mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Like many others, the spontaneity of just doing things and going somewhere as you feel like it. And calling up friends and family for a meet up on a whim

God I miss my family. Friends too, but they are missing their families too.

Unreal times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Shaking someone's hand, be it a stranger or a friend.

I miss this the most I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Everything that's been mentioned but mainly its the sense of freedom, the ability to be spontaneous. You know when your just having a stroll around town and you bump into a friend have a laugh, shake hands and sure feck it will we have a sneaky pint which turns into a out out night. Or something as simple as sitting at home a little bored and going feck it an jump in the car to go for a drive ending up somewhere random and getting grub. So basically enjoying life!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not waking up everyday wondering if i should top myself.

The upcoming mental health crisis will be like nothing ever seen before. Mark my words.

I doubt you are alone, but try not be extreme, you have many fellow travellers on that journey who try to get on with it, tough as it is. Some do, some can’t or won’t. It sure is not easy, going on for so long now. Hope you will ride out the storm my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Reading this thread, there seems to be a theme emerging: Pints, pints, pints..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Pub and being able to go out on a drive. As was pointed out a few days ago since the 2nd of October we've had 8 days of nationwide travel.

Advertisement