Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Axl's birthday is February 6th. Which is today coincidentally enough :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Axl's birthday is February 6th. Which is today coincidentally enough :pac:

Sorry you’re right. I had the day right but the date wrong. 36 years from when the classic line up first played and from 1993 to 2008 we got nothing(live era doesn’t count) but since 2008 it’s been non stop mus... touring. For someone so bloody talented he’s really not been as productive in releasing music.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Sorry you’re right. I had the day right but the date wrong. 36 years from when the classic line up first played and from 1993 to 2008 we got nothing(live era doesn’t count) but since 2008 it’s been non stop mus... touring. For someone so bloody talented he’s really not been as productive in releasing music.

Jesus it can't be approaching 36 years since the line up we all know and love first started playing together? Then again September will mark 30 years since the Illusions albums were released.

I've a half joking theory as to why they've not released new tunes since November 2008, Axl's waiting to overtake the amount of time it took Tool to release Fear Inoculum which took 13 years, so in Axl time, 2022 we'll get a whole load of new and leftover tunes from the silent years. All part of Axl's masterplan. :pac:

Jesus it can't be approaching 36 years since the line up we all know and love first started playing together? Then again September will mark 30 years since the Illusions albums were released.

I've a half joking theory as to why they've not released new tunes since November 2008, Axl's waiting to overtake the amount of time it took Tool to release Fear Inoculum which took 13 years, so in Axl time, 2022 we'll get a whole load of new and leftover tunes from the silent years. All part of Axl's masterplan. :pac:

Yeah early June(4th or 5th), 1985 was the first time the appetite era group played together. It’s in the reckless road book with set list and photos. I know various combinations of the five has played in bands together but never the five at once.

Well if we are getting some UYI boxset then we aren’t getting new music because they seem incapable or unwilling to do more than one thing at a time.

I know you're joking about axl having a master plan but I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the plan. I mean it makes as much sense as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

To be honest it doesn't bother me that there's no new music. And I'm sort of glad there isn't for a number of reasons

Axl's voice isn't what it was 20/30 years ago

In the 80s/90s they were talented blaguards who treaded the fine line of going of the rails be it breaking up, prison or death at any given time during the Appetite/Illusion years.
    Now they're the far side of middle aged rock royalty

Any thing they release will be compared to their back catoulage which in fairness would take something really special to top.

As proven during the NITLT mega tour their stock is in nostalgia now 99% of a 40k audience only want to hear Appetite and Illusion songs played ( I'm part of the 1% that want them to play "Down on the Farm" & "Ain't it fun":D

The main reason is Axl's voice, one of the worlds best front men for that period they toured. Who gave 110% every time he preformed, singing the way he sang his voice was always going to have a limited lifespan.

I'm quiet happy for him to spend the rest of his days out to pasture enjoying the admiration for his past exploits.
    Maybe he's an ambition to always do better an better every time and he knows he's not a 28 year old fire cracker any more.

Any way a happy belated birthday to you Axl and hopefully many more tocome you fuxxing head banger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

To be honest it doesn't bother me that there's no new music. And I'm sort of glad there isn't for a number of reasons

In the 80s/90s they were talented blaguards who treaded the fine line of going of the rails be it breaking up, prison or death at any given time during the Appetite/Illusion years.

Any thing they release will be compared to their back catoulage which in fairness would take something really special to top.

As proven during the NITLT mega tour their stock is in nostalgia now 99% of a 40k audience only want to hear Appetite and Illusion songs played ( I'm part of the 1% that want them to play "Down on the Farm" & "Ain't it fun":D

The main reason is Axl's voice, one of the worlds best front men for that period they toured. Who gave 110% every time he preformed, singing the way he sang his voice was always going to have a limited lifespan.

I'm quiet happy for him to spend the rest of his days out to pasture enjoying the admiration for his past exploits.
    Maybe he's an ambition to always do better an better every time and he knows he's not a 28 year old fire cracker any more.

Any way a happy belated birthday to you Axl and hopefully many more tocome you fuxxing head banger
    brilliant post. I agree re new music.

As an add on to my earlier post the set list for the first appetite era show was

1. “Reckless Life"
    2. "Shadow of Your Love"
    3. "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
    4. "Think About You"
    5. "Move to the City"
    6. "Don't Cry"
    7. "Nice Boys"
    8. "Back Off Bitch"
    9. "Anything Goes"
    10. "Heartbreak Hotel"

So we have six songs that would appear on future albums in this ten song set list and shadow of your love which was finally released in the last few years. Anything goes actually pre dates GNR and was a song that Axls first LA band recorded. It was originally called “my way your way” which is one of the lines of the song.

Yeah early June(4th or 5th), 1985 was the first time the appetite era group played together. It’s in the reckless road book with set list and photos. I know various combinations of the five has played in bands together but never the five at once.

Well if we are getting some UYI boxset then we aren’t getting new music because they seem incapable or unwilling to do more than one thing at a time.

I know you're joking about axl having a master plan but I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the plan. I mean it makes as much sense as anything else.

Yeah, went back and had a look, June 6th 1985 (so you weren't far off) was the first time they played together. Signed their Geffen Records deal the following March.

You'd hope there would be something in place to commemorate the 30 year anniversary of such momentous albums. But it's anyone's guess wth GN'R.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope my theory is proven correct, wouldn't go holding my breath for it though :pac:

Yeah, went back and had a look, June 6th 1985 (so you weren't far off) was the first time they played together. Signed their Geffen Records deal the following March.

You'd hope there would be something in place to commemorate the 30 year anniversary of such momentous albums. But it's anyone's guess wth GN'R.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope my theory is proven correct, wouldn't go holding my breath for it though :pac:

Well if they kind of half arsed the thirtieth anniversary of their debut album I wouldn’t be holding my breath for the same anniversary of the album after which it all slowly feel apart.

The bolded parts are just a filmsy excuse to be honest, the way he sang? I'll point you towards death metal vocalists, who'd laugh uncleanly at your assertion.

He could easily have kept his vocals in top condition if he had chosen to do so, that and there would've been vocal coaches dying to work with Axl at that time when no one was sure what was next for Guns/putting together the next incarnation of the band.

• Advertisement

Well if they kind of half arsed the thirtieth anniversary of their debut album I wouldn’t be holding my breath for the same anniversary of the album after which it all slowly feel apart.

Guns N' Roses... Better late than never :pac:

And I know the narrative is that slash is this mellow laid back guy and axl is a bit nuts. I was watching interviews from the band from the 1980s and it’s not that slash is mellow, it’s that he’s locked out of his bin in most of the interviews. Anyone would look lively and talkative next to him. Steven actually comes across great and not a mess but that obviously changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

The bolded parts are just a filmsy excuse to be honest, the way he sang? I'll point you towards death metal vocalists, who'd laugh uncleanly at your assertion.

He could easily have kept his vocals in top condition if he had chosen to do so, that and there would've been vocal coaches dying to work with Axl at that time when no one was sure what was next for Guns/putting together the next incarnation of the band.

I don't think comparing him to a death metal vocalist is even in the same ballpark .
    His range and energy used every performance would out strip any other vocalist.
    Fair enough I cant imagine he'd be the most approachable lad to work with for a vocal coach but look at another similar positioned vocalist like Jon bon Jovi who I would imagine have done anything to keep his voice in check and a few others Vince Neil and David le Roth also whose voices are all shot, age is a killer on the voice for these lads.

I don't think comparing him to a death metal vocalist is even in the same ballpark .
    His range and energy used every performance would out strip any other vocalist.
    Fair enough I cant imagine he'd be the most approachable lad to work with for a vocal coach but look at another similar positioned vocalist like Jon bon Jovi who I would imagine have done anything to keep his voice in check and a few others Vince Neil and David le Roth also whose voices are all shot, age is a killer on the voice for these lads.

Probably not a fair comparison, but in terms of singing styles, death metal vocals are a hell of a whole lot more challenging than Axl's style.

Closest I could name in terms of range if not better, would be Myles Kennedy, though he's 8 years Axl's junior, that and he's got a warm up routine before going on stage.

Though we could probably go in circles with this, though I think we can all agree that Axl could've kept his voice in better shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

And I know the narrative is that slash is this mellow laid back guy and axl is a bit nuts. I was watching interviews from the band from the 1980s and it’s not that slash is mellow, it’s that he’s locked out of his bin in most of the interviews. Anyone would look lively and talkative next to him. Steven actually comes across great and not a mess but that obviously changed.

That's was the smack not drink

That's was the smack not drink

Well he’s drinking in most of the interviews he’s half asleep in so while it might be smack he’s drinking enough where it can’t be helpful.

I know the first appetite show was June 6th, 1985 but this is a 1986 version of anything goes. There’s more of this session and I love hearing the evolution of songs from these sessions to the finished album versions.

I know the first appetite show was June 6th, 1985 but this is a 1986 version of anything goes. There’s more of this session and I love hearing the evolution of songs from these sessions to the finished album versions.

Those sessions are magic.

Those sessions are magic.

They are. I wish they’d kept the start of the album version like this(obviously in a finished form) because it’s a different feel to the album version.

What do people think about the song you ain’t the first? The lyrics.... is just about having a one night stand but the woman wanted more but hes like nah that’s all it was...

It’s a pretty catchy song.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    What do people think about the song you ain’t the first? The lyrics.... is just about having a one night stand but the woman wanted more but hes like nah that’s all it was...

It’s a pretty catchy song.

I like it, it's a hidden gem in their catalogue.

As for the lyrics, it does read like a one night stand, or the end of a relationship.

I like it, it's a hidden gem in their catalogue.

As for the lyrics, it does read like a one night stand, or the end of a relationship.

Izzy wrote and sang that one. Think he also wrote Don’t cry.

What do people think of Duff Mckagan song, so fine? I really like it. It’s a tribute to Johnny Thunders. Don’t know who he is sorry. I also thought it was about a woman.

He wrote/co-wrote 14 Years, Bad Obsession, Don't Cry, Double Talkin' Jive, Shadow Of Your Love, Appetite was a band effort, You Could Be Mine, Patience. Pretty Tied Up.

So 18 songs over the course of his stint in GN'R before splitting in November 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

What do people think of Duff Mckagan song, so fine? I really like it. It’s a tribute to Johnny Thunders. Don’t know who he is sorry. I also thought it was about a woman.

Love So Fine, always gets a spin whenever g n r gets played for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Johnny Thunders was the guitarist for the New York Doll's first two albums before leaving to go solo. Guns N Roses also covered one of his solo songs 'You Can't Wrap Your Arms Around A Memory' on The Spaghetti Incident? Duff was heavily influenced by him growing up. He took his death pretty bad in 1991. It didn't help that Thunder's death was surrounded in controversy as some say it was an accidental overdose and others say it was murder. A question that still remains to this day.

Back to lurk mode for me. :)

He wrote/co-wrote 14 Years, Bad Obsession, Don't Cry, Double Talkin' Jive, Shadow Of Your Love, Appetite was a band effort, You Could Be Mine, Patience. Pretty Tied Up.

So 18 songs over the course of his stint in GN'R before splitting in November 1991.

I’ve never really liked bad obsession as a song. I mean it’s a good song(all GNR a are great musically) but the whole vibe of the song I’ve never really liked. Double talkin jive is a great song though. I loved the Apollo theatre version. It was a pro recorded version and I just loved the bands playing of it. It’s very heavy and also it’s one song Axl can’t butcher because it’s his speaking voice he sings in.

I’ve never really liked bad obsession as a song. I mean it’s a good song(all GNR a are great musically) but the whole vibe of the song I’ve never really liked. Double talkin jive is a great song though. I loved the Apollo theatre version. It was a pro recorded version and I just loved the bands playing of it. It’s very heavy and also it’s one song Axl can’t butcher because it’s his speaking voice he sings in.

Bad obsession is a pretty catch song, there’s an different instrument they use on it that u don’t really hear in a lot of their songs. I really hope I get to see Guns live in action one more time, they are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

This demo version of Bad Obsession from the Rumbo Tapes sessions gives you a much better idea of where they were originally going with the song. Obviously the quality isn't great but it's more rootsy and Izzy makes it sound way more seedy which suits the lyrics. Then of course it got 'Axl-d' when they recorded it for UYI. I think the album version sounds fairly naff.

https://soundcloud.com/dandd44/rumbo-tapes-bad-obsession-izzy

It's stuff like that demo above that they should be preparing for (assuming it will be celebrated on time), the 30th anniversary of the Illusions albums.

But we're beating a dead horse expecting this band to do anything. Hell even in a pandemic, at least Slash remains busy with Myles & The Conspirators material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

It's stuff like that demo above that they should be preparing for (assuming it will be celebrated on time), the 30th anniversary of the Illusions albums.

But we're beating a dead horse expecting this band to do anything. Hell even in a pandemic, at least Slash remains busy with Myles & The Conspirators material.

No doubt they'll use the pandemic as an excuse to delay the release of the UYI anniversary reissue, never mind delaying any new music. This GNR reunion thing has been such a let down.

Advertisement