Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GCN+

• 11-02-2021 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Are many on here subscribing to this .... id watch videos on YouTube often enough on GCN .... seems reasonable at 19.99 ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

I subscribed last summer for the race coverage and find it good. Sub is upgraded now to include the extra videos/documentaries so happy with that. THere should be some good ones - I think their YouTube content has got worse (but I still enjoy it!!!) in the last year but maybe they were doing these videos at the time.

- even if I dont watch to many of the documentaries the race coverage alone is good value

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,998 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's €20 for a full year, is it? if so, that's good value assuming you follow the sport end of things. i don't really follow sport, so while it's still a very reasonable price, i dunno if i'll pony up for the documentaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

it's €20 for a full year, is it? if so, that's good value assuming you follow the sport end of things. i don't really follow sport, so while it's still a very reasonable price, i dunno if i'll pony up for the documentaries?

The €20 special offer only lasts until the end of this month, then it goes up to €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I don't watch cycle racing but when I see it on im pretty into it... I love watching other sports so will give it a go. My biggest passion is cycling so at 20 quid seems worth while...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

used to love their videos, but quality and variety has gone down a bit in the last year, as someone said maybe that because they where building up a library for this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,998 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, travel was severely restricted in the last year too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Is the content only for mobile phones ( sorry not tech savvy) or canyou run it on your laptop

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Is the content only for mobile phones ( sorry not tech savvy) or canyou run it on your laptop

I was able to watch all the races last year on GCN Race Pass on my laptop using this link - https://racepass.globalcyclingnetwork.com

You couldn't access any account information or other stuff available in the GCN app, just watch the races.

I assume it'll be the same for GCN+ (i.e. you'll be able to watch races and documentaries on the web)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cillian Kelly posted on the Cycling Podcast facebook that there's a FireTV app imminent as well (which is big win for me.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Having resub'd to ES Player @ €40 in the late autumn, the discounted price which saves me €20 is kinda wiped out by the fact that a GCN+ pass would overlap with 50% of my ES sub, so I'm no better off. Still, I might go for it, if just for the travel documentary videos in the short term..............so will one of ye subscribe, watch them and report back, yeah?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'll get this if I can get it on my TV. I tried casting a GCN video from the GCN app - I got sound but no picture when I tried it via a Sky Mini box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Junior

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Having resub'd to ES Player @ €40 in the late autumn, the discounted price which saves me €20 is kinda wiped out by the fact that a GCN+ pass would overlap with 50% of my ES sub, so I'm no better off. Still, I might go for it, if just for the travel documentary videos in the short term..............so will one of ye subscribe, watch them and report back, yeah?:D

Or at least share the login details so we can all watch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'll get this if I can get it on my TV. I tried casting a GCN video from the GCN app - I got sound but no picture when I tried it via a Sky Mini box.

I presume it'll cast to a chrome cast, but either way the web player works fine. I'm only newly subscribed but I'm very impressed with it so far. Loads to watch and it's beautifully presented and no infuriating interminable ad breaks like the TV channel. The change of commentator voices is as good as a rest too. You can watch a full stage back or a long highlights cut or a short highlights cut.
    Recommended by me so far anyway.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Loads to watch
    what's the sport to non-sport content ratio like?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Don Juan II

I subscribed also. Cast to my chromecast and worked perfectly. Very easy to use

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

what's the sport to non-sport content ratio like?

Haven't really looked around. There's the full library of gcn YouTube vids on there of course and the gcn shows and there seems to be a big push for social media type interaction - post your ride, show us your bike, vote on this bike, hack or bodge etc, news, tech, training etc. There's a heck of a lot on there to he fair. And for 20 quid.

I pay for the Dorna motogp race pass and that's like 140 quid for the year and there's a lot more cycle racing hours than motogp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Given the amount of plugging of GCN+, I imagine all Eurosport cycling coverage will eventually migrate to this app. So, if you want cycling coverage AND Eurosport's other sports coverage, then you'll be paying for two subs.

fat bloke wrote: »
    I presume it'll cast to a chrome cast, but either way the web player works fine. I'm only newly subscribed but I'm very impressed with it so far.
    Recommended by me so far anyway.

Thanks for that.

I'm keen to subscribe but I'm a bit of a luddite with all this Chromecast stuff. I'm using an iPhone 7 so I would have though that it would mirror to the Sky Mini but as I say, audio only - no video.

I have an Apple TV here that I need to set up so hopefully I'll have more luck with that. If I can get on the TV screen then I'll sign up immediately but I don't fancy watching it on the phone or iPad.

EDIT: After a bit of Googling, I've discovered that Sky Q/Mini boxes don't support video mirroring by design so I reckon the Apple TV will sort me out.

EDIT 2: It works fine with Apple TV. It doesn't appear to be in HD but that could be down to my phone, WiFi, etc.

I'm here in Ireland

Am I right in saying that I can only watch GCN+ content on the phone or if I cast to a TV? Acknowledging Post #9 here

I see a message saying

"Web subscriptions are not currently available in your location. Please download the GCN app to subscribe to GCN+."

when I commence the registration process?

There is no GCN/GCN+ App in the Chrome WebStore

Another thing to note.............the opening weekend's Omloop het Nieuwsblad wont be on GCN+...........though KBK the following days will be. A rights issue, I'm sure, as all other big races are included.

can you access the videos on a PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Thanks for that.

I'm keen to subscribe but I'm a bit of a luddite with all this Chromecast stuff. I'm using an iPhone 7 so I would have though that it would mirror to the Sky Mini but as I say, audio only - no video.

I have an Apple TV here that I need to set up so hopefully I'll have more luck with that. If I can get on the TV screen then I'll sign up immediately but I don't fancy watching it on the phone or iPad.

EDIT: After a bit of Googling, I've discovered that Sky Q/Mini boxes don't support video mirroring by design so I reckon the Apple TV will sort me out.

EDIT 2: It works fine with Apple TV. It doesn't appear to be in HD but that could be down to my phone, WiFi, etc.

How did you get it going on the Apple TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭G1032

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I'm here in Ireland

Am I right in saying that I can only watch GCN+ content on the phone or if I cast to a TV? Acknowledging Post #9 here

I see a message saying

"Web subscriptions are not currently available in your location. Please download the GCN app to subscribe to GCN+."

when I commence the registration process?

There is no GCN/GCN+ App in the Chrome WebStore

You can watch on a laptop or PC also. Just through the Race Pass webpage as opposed to a dedicated app. Edge Chromium allows you kind of convert a webpage to an app (for want of a better description).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭G1032

See attached screenshot. It's a reply to a mail I sent them yesterday re future support for Roku and Firestick. Looks promising!!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Great to be able to watch on PC, good improvement. Just watched the Orla Walsh doc, enjoyed it .

dahat wrote: »
    How did you get it going on the Apple TV?

I don't get it directly on the Apple TV. I use the GCN app on my iPhone and cast/mirror to the Apple TV. Video is in HD and looks great on the TV.

G1032 wrote: »
    See attached screenshot. It's a reply to a mail I sent them yesterday re future support for Roku and Firestick. Looks promising!!

This looks good. It'll remove the phone from the equation which will make viewing simpler.

G1032 wrote: »
    You can watch on a laptop or PC also. Just through the Race Pass webpage as opposed to a dedicated app. Edge Chromium allows you kind of convert a webpage to an app (for want of a better description).

EDIT: OK, I got this reply from the GCN guys. Good news.

"it’s only subscribing that that message refers to, not watching. So if you download the app and subscribe through the app, you’ll be able to then login and watch on the web."

can you access the videos on a PC?

You can watch the new films and Race TV on the web player on a PC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I just saw tonight that the app has changed a bit .... it feels more now like a Netflix or amazon prime format ....

I had a small look at a few of the documentaries and they look real good , top quality and in 4k ...

Me being a cheap b I went in half's with a mate.

I might even give the workout videos a go .... years ago when I had my 1st dumb trainer I used a few of the gcn work out videos on YouTube and I found them very good.

Anyway my target is to watch them documentaries while on the trainer.

I'm happy to see above the app will be available on apple TV 4k soon

• Advertisement

You can watch the new films and Race TV on the web player on a PC :)
    https://twitter.com/irishpeloton/status/1361456608455381006

Advertisement