Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost of acquisition calculations

• 02-02-2021 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Revenue's - Taxation of cryptocurrency transactions link

There is no available information from Revenue to say what are the acceptable methods to calculate the cost of acquisition when calculating a loss or a gain with crypto.

The assumption in the community is that First In First Out (FIFO) is appropriate, but it not clear if other methods are also acceptable. There is no reference in the tax document linked above, and there were no changes when it was last reviewed in April.

Having talked to friends in the crypto community and the accounting world, there have been a lot of different approaches over the last few years. I appreciate their position may have changed over time as they learn, but I really feel like they should be able to define the exact rule.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts or experiences on this topic!

Other methods:
    Last In First Out (LIFO)
    Pooling method (Avg cost basis)
    Highest In First Out (HIFO)

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Hmm, it's a trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 super ted rules

rapul wrote: »
    Hmm, it's a trap.

Please explain what you're concerned about?

This is a genuine question and nobody has been able to answer it very well.

Thanks for your reply!

Having spoken to lots of different professionals, they can't point me to the guidance or law showing which methods are acceptable!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

unless you get absolute clarity, probably best to stick to the FIFO rule

As I've been buying a small amount over a couple of years LIFO would be best for me. A friend has used pooling and there was no objection.

It doesn't look like there's any clarity from Revenue.

Seems like FIFO is assumed and the best approach if you want an easy life.

• Advertisement

An interesting alternative approach is to use wallet based tracking.

Instead of taking a universal approach to FIFO, you could apply it to each individual wallet.

This might help separate investment coins and trading coins.

https://help.koinly.io/en/articles/3661351-cost-tracking-method-explained

• Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is no available information from Revenue to say what are the acceptable methods to calculate the cost of acquisition when calculating a loss or a gain with crypto.
    Yes there are.
    The assumption in the community is that First In First Out (FIFO) is appropriate, but it not clear if other methods are also acceptable.
    Not an assumption I would assume. There are massive guides for accounts covering this stuff. CGT is not new.
    There is no reference in the tax document linked above,
    That document is the the extent of revenues guidelines on CGT.

Thanks for your reply Mellor

I appreciate a huge body of work has already been carried out in more traditional asset classes to determine the correct method to determine acquisition costs. In my view, that work is ongoing for crypto and won't be clear for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In my view, that work is ongoing for crypto and won't be clear for some time.

Crypto is currency. It's that simple from a tax point of view.
    No different to trading USD or GBP. A tax account should be well up to speed on the requirements, and revenue should have examples.

According to Revenue cryptocurrencies are not functional currencies.

Recently common law countries like England and New Zealand appear to have settled on cryptocurrencies are poperty. Irish courts are likely to take the same view, and I presume Revenue will too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Revenue are pretty clear in saying that CGT calculation rules apply (which means FIFO except of a disposal is made within 4 weeks of acquiring the asset).

This is what I have seen online on an tax accounting firm website as well (I posted the link in the taxation thread) and also the way Koinly does the calculations when you select Ireland as your tax residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

An interesting alternative approach is to use wallet based tracking.

Instead of taking a universal approach to FIFO, you could apply it to each individual wallet.

This might help separate investment coins and trading coins.

https://help.koinly.io/en/articles/3661351-cost-tracking-method-explained

Don't do that, it isn't the way to works in Ireland. Koinly are mentioning this on their website as this is the law in some countries and they therefore have support it. But if you register with them and select Ireland as your tax residence they will (rightly) default you to "FIFO - Ireland" based on a global pool amongst all wallets.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Don't do that, it isn't the way to works in Ireland. Koinly are mentioning this on their website as this is the law in some countries and they therefore have support it. But if you register with them and select Ireland as your tax residence they will (rightly) default you to "FIFO - Ireland" based on a global pool amongst all wallets.

Thanks for your reply Bob, Koinly do default to the FIFO + 28-day rule for Ireland however they do not speak for Revenue. They might be the only crypt services that support the 28-day rule! It's very helpful.

The wallet based cost tracking method might be acceptable by Revenue, there's no guidance either way. The wallet based cost tracking method is a simplified version of the specific identification method.

Specific identification means that each time you dispose of a crypto asset, you are specifically identifying which specific unit you are selling.

Advertisement