Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pension question

• 15-02-2021 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

hi,

I quite stupidly left my pension on cash for the past decade or more having lost a lot of money previously on investing in irish bank shares. Its actually losing money now on cash.

Should I hold off now as markets an all time high or push it into the emerging market fund. I have started trading shares again and my risk aversion has changed - just wondering is this a silly move having been in cash for so long?

AON is the provider.

Aon Active Global Equity Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Balanced Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Cash Fund 100.00%
    Aon Cautious Growth Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Diversified Growth Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Growth Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Passive Emerging Market Equity Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Passive Global Equity Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Pre-Retirement Bond Fund €0.00 0.00%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

riddles wrote: »
    hi,

I quite stupidly left my pension on cash for the past decade or more having lost a lot of money previously on investing in irish bank shares. Its actually losing money now on cash.

Should I hold off now as markets an all time high or push it into the emerging market fund. I have started trading shares again and my risk aversion has changed - just wondering is this a silly move having been in cash for so long?

AON is the provider.

Aon Active Global Equity Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Balanced Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Cash Fund 100.00%
    Aon Cautious Growth Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Diversified Growth Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Growth Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Passive Emerging Market Equity Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Passive Global Equity Fund €0.00 0.00%
    Aon Pre-Retirement Bond Fund €0.00 0.00%

I'm definitely not qualified to answer but how long until retirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭riddles

Xaniaj wrote: »
    I'm definitely not qualified to answer but how long until retirement?
    over 20 years

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

@Mods: Please move to Banking & Insurance & Pensions.

over 20 years

Stop trading, seek proper financial advice and follow it.

To be brutally honest, you are the biggest risk to your financial well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭burkey2k0

I am exactly the same as you, over 20 years to retirement, and I do not mind the bumps that come with a high risk option. When consistently they are the best to choose when young.

I literally just made a change today to my pension and chose a high risk passive option that was the consistent highest return fund over the passed 10 years. 100% allocation. But please weigh up your risk attitude and make a call from there. Usually there are risk attitude calculators that are very helpful. That's what I used to back up my choice.

In general, there is no 5 year window where markets have returned a negative return, so just need to keep that in mind when the next crash inevitably comes and remain calm. And obviously coming closer to retirement maybe move it into more cautious funds to protect yourself.
    However we all have a reasonable expectation to live into our 80s now, so even when looking at retirement age, I doubt personally I'll change anything. But I'm speaking as I am now being in a comfortable financial position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭riddles

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Stop trading, seek proper financial advice and follow it.

To be brutally honest, you are the biggest risk to your financial well being.
    - I would have agreed before I took an uncomfortably large number of shares in GEVO DOCRF CLNE last last year.

- I would have agreed before I took an uncomfortably large number of shares in GEVO DOCRF CLNE last last year.

And? In ten years time you'll be wondering how to recover in the last 10 years before retirement or trying figure out how to put off retirement. I've seen it all before, so it really does not surprise me.

Advertisement