Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Global Climate just like Ireland outside of Europe

• 14-02-2021 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭

Was teaching global climates last week to second years, unfortunatly the new JC is dumbed down and so couldnt go to far or in depth into the topic, but gave some pointers to ocean currents etc affecting climate, even this was deemed ott by the new course. But just told them to study thier climate map in book and see here else had same climate type as us outside europe. does anyone know any really remote places with climat like ours or just a really odd climate for the place its situated. ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Cool temperate oceanic, isn't it, at least when I was a kid.

Tasmania or South Island NZ might be similar enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yea although prob hotter summers. i was just researching a decent video for them last week and found a great stat i hadnt known before. all areas of the world with mid latitude desert climates on coast have cold water current running past that coastline. its the fact cold water currents and prevailing winds that drive them from cold regions are much drier and bring very little moisture, so result in dry , desert conditions in 30-45 degree lattutude. every day a school day as they say! always find it fascinating the way deserts can reach right up to the coastline in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Pacific NW in the US and Canada is somewhat similar though I think they get much better summers than us

Also maybe southern Argentina/Chile

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's tough to find another country with summers as cool and poor as ours. Tasmania while 'cool' is still significantly warmer than Ireland during their summer with high teens to low/mid 20's regular. It can get up to 40C on the odd occasion with plumes drifting down from SE Australia. It's more like northern Spain. New Zealand is more like northern France in terms of summer where 20 to 30C can happen regularly throughout the summer and 40C can happen there too. Parts of central and southern Chile is probably more similar to Ireland with summer temperatures around 14 to 18C and the odd day reaching 20C or slightly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Gonzo wrote: »
    It's tough to find another country with summers as cool and poor as ours. Tasmania while 'cool' is still significantly warmer than Ireland during their summer with high teens to low/mid 20's regular. It can get up to 40C on the odd occasion with plumes drifting down from SE Australia. It's more like northern Spain. New Zealand is more like northern France in terms of summer where 20 to 30C can happen regularly throughout the summer and 40C can happen there too. Parts of central and southern Chile is probably more similar to Ireland with summer temperatures around 14 to 18C and the odd day reaching 20C or slightly more.

Fun fact, out of every single country on earth only Iceland has a colder max temperature record than us!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Fun fact, out of every single country on earth only Iceland has a colder max temperature record than us!

Falkland Islands would be another. There really aren't many tho!

thats a really cool fact to be fair!

so sweden and and norway and finland all have had hotter max temps? i would have put my bet on finland and norway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Hardy#Climate

Similar to parts of NW Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

When in Morocco- couldn't get over how green and fertile the Northern part of the country was with decent snowfall in hilly and mountainous regions.

Interesting article here on the growth of the desert areas of North Africa and the African Humid Period
    In the coming decades and centuries, we may find the Sahara Desert becoming the fertile grassland it once was. Research shows that northern Africa where the Sahara currently is was once dotted with large lakes, vegetation, animals, and human settlements. This period, known as the African Humid Period (lasting approximately 15,000 to 5,000 years ago) was far from northern Africa we know today.

It appears that approximately 5,500 years ago, however, northern Africa moisture was suddenly cut off, ending the humid period. Research is ongoing as to why and how fertile northern Africa suddenly became the Sahara Desert. One thing is clear though, the switch between humid and arid can be abrupt. Are we on the verge of another African humid period? No one knows for sure, but it will likely be the focus of continued research studies and the hopes for many northern Africa countries.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2018/01/08/rare-snowstorm-just-blanketed-parts-of-the-sahara-desert-in-up-to-16-inches-of-snow/?sh=24b6e0f627ee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Another weird one. Tromso Norway, which is inside the Arctic circle and has polar night from November 27th until January 15th record low temperature is -18.4. Castlederg has been colder at -18.7 and Markree Castle at -19.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Glasgow. Beautiful city. Beautiful climate. Beautiful people.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

From what I have read before, I think northern Italy and SW France are considered to be the most thundery areas of Europe. Greece the sunniest/driest and Iceland/Russia the coldest. Can't recall the warmest but I think it is Spain.

Edit: Not sure how these two posts ended up in this thread after posting them in the 'Fave Europe City' thread.???

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

You won't find an exact replica because there is no archipelago the size of Britain and Ireland to the west of a continent at this latitude. In terms of temperatures and rainfall, this is the closest I can find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oban,_New_Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Danno wrote: »

Yeah, once you head further north than the Sunshine Coast on mainland BC then the summers aren't quite as nice as the Lower Mainland. Tofino is a popular storm watching spot all year round on Vancouver Island and further north towards Alaska brings much more temperate summers and similar climate to Ireland, albeit, wetter.

Would the Kamatchka Penninsula have a lot in common with ireland? latitude, ocean ?

Advertisement