Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subnautica

• 22-01-2020 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Just got this cheap for around 18 euro on PS4?

Don't see much buzz on it, got great reviews. Anyone here play it ? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I played it for a few hours on PC. Not a huge survival game fan, but I still enjoyed what I played. Put it down for a bit while I played some other games and never got back to it.

I find a lot of survival games are completely directionless, but I think Subnautica had some semblance of a story. Probably have to start over if I ever went back to it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Just got this cheap for around 18 euro on PS4?

Don't see much buzz on it, got great reviews. Anyone here play it ? Any thoughts?

I played a decent amount on the Xbox when it released as part of the Game Preview program, so the game has undoubtedly changed a lot since then. However I did enjoy a lot of what I played.

Similar to Robert's post above, I'm not a huge survival game fan, I usually pick them up and drop them fairly quickly, but the atmosphere and tension found in Subnautica really drew me in.

As also flagged the game has a narrative, and an actual end, which is fairly rare for survival games (though obviously you can play on). It's narrative is actually its strongest feature, something the community will often flag when citing the games best attributes. It is a lot more deep and complex than it initially seems.

Also; make sure to play with headphones. It is one of the most immersive games I have ever played, and is best enjoyed with a good set of headphones that make the most of the excellent sound design. The feeling of dread when you are exploring the depths and you hear something alien approaching is absolutely spine tingling.

I never actually finished it myself, and keep meaning to go back to it, but I too would need to start afresh as it is that long since I last played.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

goon_magee wrote: »
    I played a decent amount on the Xbox when it released as part of the Game Preview program, so the game has undoubtedly changed a lot since then. However I did enjoy a lot of what I played.

Similar to Robert's post above, I'm not a huge survival game fan, I usually pick them up and drop them fairly quickly, but the atmosphere and tension found in Subnautica really drew me in.

As also flagged the game has a narrative, and an actual end, which is fairly rare for survival games (though obviously you can play on). It's narrative is actually its strongest feature, something the community will often flag when citing the games best attributes. It is a lot more deep and complex than it initially seems.

I never actually finished it myself, and keep meaning to go back to it, but I too would need to start afresh as it is that long since I last played.

I have heard the story is meant to be great alright , I can across it on YouTube and at that price I thought it was worth trying. Just need to finish death stranding first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I got it free from the Epic games store but let it sit in my library for ages as like so many above I'm not into survival games. It was only after seeing some YouTube vids on the sequel that I bothered to gave it a shot and it blew me away right from the start. Everything about it is just so well done and the fact it has a fully fleshed out story with an actual ending was just the icing on the cake. Saying that, the story does get a tad vague about 3/4 ways through so some YouTube searching was needed to get back on the path. Easily one of the best games of 2018 and well worth a play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Started this tonight, straight away i feel like I've actually crash landed in the middle of an ocean. I accidentally dropped most of my items tapping R2 and they seem to have disappeared for good, not just floating around to be picked up again. When night hit, i went back to my pod to hide but have been killed a few times getting my bearings. It's intrigued me right off the bat and I'm really looking forward to building a repair tool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Started this tonight, straight away i feel like I've actually crash landed in the middle of an ocean. I accidentally dropped most of my items tapping R2 and they seem to have disappeared for good, not just floating around to be picked up again. When night hit, i went back to my pod to hide but have been killed a few times getting my bearings. It's intrigued me right off the bat and I'm really looking forward to building a repair tool!

This is an amazing game , loved every bit of it , had to look up stuff near the end bit obscure but it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll recommend to read as much as you can of the logs at the start, it doesn't really tell you anything and there was some bits I didn't know about until I read them. Progression is steady and only slowed by you. And the atmosphere is really good. Headphones a must imo. Would be amazing in VR. Haven't finished it either, but will get back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I usually hate Survival games but Subnautica just blew me away, then again it has an excellent story so maybe Id like others if they did aswell. I have never felt so lost or alone in the universe in a game, so atmospheric or such a sense of progression and achievement when you got to each new stage. Some serious jaw dropping moments in it. I was getting emotional when it was time to finish it, tidied up my base and parked my subs etc.

Dont use tutorials, its all doable, read every log and investigate every beacon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I loved Subnautica. One of the most atmospheric games going, real sense of danger, of having to push the envelope to succeed. Very few games have given me a feeling like leaving my little sub just above crush depth, then diving down to an abandoned, flooded base, watching my oxygen dwindle while desperately searching for anything useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Absolute cracker of a game. Absolutely not my thing but you're almost compelled to keep exploring. Such a well crafted little world highly recommend it.

Have tried a build of the sequel and it's good but nothing on the first so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Fisher99

I played the first versions of Subnautica and it was great, so I think now, when a lot of time passed, game is better and you can play more time with pleasure)

Finally went back to this, hadn't even crafted a repair tool previously but making much more progress now. Repaired the radio, found some wreckages, made a glider thing to get me around faster and next on the list are rebreather and radiation suit. I went to about 300m for the craic but never made it back. Have a load of blueprints for a base, can't wait to put one together. I still feel a bit lost and i know I'm missing out on mechanics but i don't want to look up anything in case of spoilers.

I'm playing Freedom mode so no dying of thirst or starvation which I'm glad i picked because it's interesting enough without those mechanics on top of everything else.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Finally went back to this, hadn't even crafted a repair tool previously but making much more progress now. Repaired the radio, found some wreckages, made a glider thing to get me around faster and next on the list are rebreather and radiation suit. I went to about 300m for the craic but never made it back. Have a load of blueprints for a base, can't wait to put one together. I still feel a bit lost and i know I'm missing out on mechanics but i don't want to look up anything in case of spoilers.

I'm playing Freedom mode so no dying of thirst or starvation which I'm glad i picked because it's interesting enough without those mechanics on top of everything else.
    Yeah I'd probably do that in a replay aswell, especially since I realised you can get all the food and water you need by grazing on seaweed like a cow for 5 minutes out of every 30, makes it completely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Game is incredible. Played it to completion when it officially launched a few years back.

They are currently working on the sequel. It's in early access. You should buy it to support them but I'd recommend waiting until it's officially done.

I got further than I did last time, and it starts to get really creepy the further down you go. I'm kinda scared to, but more scared that I'll lose that lovely big vehicle I broke my balls to build. Tempted to start yet again on creative mode just so I can explore without worrying about getting messed up. But it removes all difficulty, you don't need to power bases, don't have to recharge anything, etc. I demand a 5th level of difficulty!

I joke. Amazing game though.

Any tips for me please? I tried googling but don't want the story ruined, couldn't find much anyway.

I'll spoiler where i am..
    I'm on day 10 i think, just got a radio message from sunbeam that they are looking for somewhere to park so I'm guessing another day or 2 and they'll be giving me a meeting location.

I have a glider to get me around and i made a radiation suit to explore the Aurora. Swam the wrong way around it and was greeted by shaking, dark water and something pulling me underneath that i couldn't see, fairly scary experience. Made it to the open part of the ship but ai told me i needed cutting tools to proceed. Suicided just to get back to my pod. Then i decided to just swim as far away from aurora as i could. I got to about 1500km and for a message i was in dark water and basically told to turn back. I did learn that i was on a 2km by 2km map in the crater of a volcano and outside that limit was dark water so at least i know where the cutoff is now.

This time i swam in a different direction for 500 and then 1000km. Found some wreckages with blueprints and an island with a mountain.

Is there any point building a base at this point? Some of my equipment is missing ingredients so i need to find more wreckages to scan. Am i better trying to create a cutting tool and exploring aurora or just waiting for sunbeam first? If i am to start building a base, any suggested location on where to start?

Ok, yeah, so:

Re: Aurora -
    You need the cutter and propulsion cannon to do what needs to be done in there. No point going near it until you have both. I'd also recommend to search for and build the Seamoth. Parts for all those should be no deeper than a couple of hundred meters. Make sure to scan all the bits you can. The HUD will tell you if it can be scanned, the scanner icon will pop in the bottom right. Get all 3 (the Seamoth is by far my most used buildable, you won't know how you got on without it, plus it's an oxygen refresh, so you go as deep as the Seamoth will let you, then free dive and back to the Seamoth to get more O2). Once you have the Seamoth, cutter and propulsion cannon, head to the Aurora then. Go towards it from your pod, follow the side that's facing you towards the front up near the top of the water, and when you can easily turn in right (just abouts where the front of the ship is missing), turn in there and you'll see the way into the Aurora, you have to move boxes with the propulsion cannon. Bring fire extinguisers. Also, propulsion cannon works on the things near the door. You'll see. Fun.

Re: Hidden things killing you -
    When you get to areas near the edge, you'll get these phantom "things" that will attack you because bold you shouldn't be going off map. I have yet to find any reason to go more than 1.5k from my pod, and there is nothing on the other side of the Aurora other than lots of stuff to mind and lots of things to kill you and your equipment! I haven't been brave enough to explore fully yet, but I see a good few things to pick up (minerals mostly) during my flythroughs! The shaking near the Aurora is the drive still causing the ship to shake.

Re: Mountain -
    That's part of a "side quest" from other people who landed here ages ago, gives a story so you should be able to track it from your notes. It started with an audio log, but it's 100% possible to pick everything up in the wrong order. Cool story though.

Re: Base - I have still, up to this point with 40+ hours, only got a single room with an entrance. I used it to store stuff, and if you build it near the pod, a couple of solar panels on top will keep her powered up. Literally just a place to store stuff in lockers and for crafting things. Eventually you'll have a moon pool for your vehicles and upgrades. All blueprints found by scanning debris. Make sure you're doing that, at 10 hours on my first playthrough I think I had the Seamoth. Parts for that should be relatively closeby to the pod. Actually, I've just build a second base, but again as a storage/crafting area but 600m down and where I think I need to go next once I get a vehicle to submerse deep enough (you upgrade the depth modules)[/spoiler]

You're still very early in imo. And I still don't know how far I have left to go, but I reckon it's a good bit. There's things you haven't mentioned that I would expect you to mention but you haven't encountered them yet. One thing that really helped me get my bearing, because it's easy to lose it, is that there's something N, S, E and W of your pod. Everything else is down, very far down. So i'd recommend to fly about the place scanning all the parts you come across (you can scan desks and chairs and stuff too). Once you can build what I said above, you'll be able to do a lot more exploring.

Keeping in mind that I'm still not finished and still haven't discovered stuff. Try to remember where each biome is, and eventually you'll be able to create a virtual map of the place, and make it easier to get about, at least on the horizontal plane. Or, after 40 hours and you still can't manage it, use a map from Google. They're grand and don't really spoil anything, but it certainly makes it easier to explore once you know the proper layout. It doesn't tell you what's down, only an overview of the area. My exploration moved fast once I started using a map. Also, game badly needs a mapping tool. You can build sea faring exploration vehicles, but no mapping tech!

I'm at an area where I could very easily lose the cool thing I just built, and it would dishearten me to lose it after the effort it took!

That's awesome man thanks! Yeah been going out from my pod in all directions, finding wrecks but need a cutter to get into some doors. I scanned a seamoth part alright, will look for more but that the cutter and the propolsion cabin canon gives me a good head in the right direction, sound!

Oh, the Scanner Room is useful if you find the parts to scan. Handy for finding certain things like Stalker Teeth which are basically impossible to spot. Limited range but handy to scan for nearby minerals and fauna.

Making more progress on this.
    Went back to the island when timer started and had 35 minutes to spare. Found the alien tower which i dunno how i missed that first time i was there. Got in, got to control room but looks like I have some infection i need to clear before i can use the controls. Then i found the planet is in quarantine.

Waiting on the beach timer nearly at 0, a shadow starts moving over me. I look up to see the tower transforming. Oh Sunbeam, I hardly knew ye... I'm guessing the alien tower is a defense system that took out aurora as well, maybe as a quarantine measure, pity we didn't have something similar for planes flying in...

Warped to another Island which was class but didn't spend long there, must go back. Found some more wrecks, only blueprint I'm missing is the cutting tool. Got a hilarious message from hq about captains quarters on aurora and their lunch. I finally have a habitat builder so my next step is to find a new home. I'm looking for shallows a bit away from the lifepod with scope to go deepdiving once i build the seamoth.

Then, i need to find cutter plans from other wrecks so i can finally check out Aurora. Not sure how much story is left after that but deepest I've been is to 300 in one spot and getting lost in a cave so I'm guessing I've barely scratch the surface (of the bottom of the sea).

So, 2 big next steps for me, really enjoying it, can't wait to go deeper.

• Advertisement

You still have loads to do. Enjoy.

Ok, so built my first base 300m Southish of lifepod 5 and i absolutely love it. It's only a simple U shaped hub with just a fabricator, radio and large locker but it's home. It's sitting just 50m under the surface on the edge of a drop off, wreck of a ship below me and darkness down further so plenty of potential. I have 2 distress signals to investigate, hoping they have the cutter blueprint, and just the Seamoth to build. Need the resources for it but shouldn't be too bad. It's like the game just kicked up a gear.

I've a question though. I deployed the vehicle spawner thing but I thought it would be attached to my base. It floated to the surface but it doesn't look very secure. Can you move it or dismantle it so i can store it until i can actually build the seamoth? It's actually in a good spot so i don't mind leaving it there as long as it's safe.

Oh sweet child, 300m... You've a fair bit to go yet! Don't read if you don't want to, but I think max depth is
    8000m
    , or on PC some have gone as low as
    60km
    but there's nothing there and it eventually crashes.

Re: what you posted above,
    the logs are pretty cool, especially that lunch convo one, totally what would happen in real life! THE USUAL!! You mentioned you warped to another Island, I haven't done that yet and thought you had to power them up somehow, I've found 2 portals but both appear offline.

I built a simple base under the pod, kinda like my area of operations where I store everything. You could build a hape of them all over the place, but I haven't really found a need until recently and quite a bit down, and the further you go the more reinforcement you'll need so you've to find and scan them too before building too deep. You find further blueprints for power generators which means you can build further down. But get on that Seamoth, it's an amazing vehicle.

Re: Mobile Vehicle Bay, it just floats there, it won't go anywhere until you move it by hitting off it or pick it up. I left it up beside the initial pod and only moved it when I had to create a certain vehicle that required more depth.

The
    portal thing, i had collected some green ion chives and purple tablets from the alien tower and when i found the portal, i was able to use one, can't remember which and the portal opened up for me to step through.

8000m sounds ****ing crazy :pac:

Oh, I have them but didn't think to try them on the portals. Interesting. And yes, max depth is crazy, but I don't think there's anything beyond a certain depth. I don't want to Google too much because I don't want to spoil what may be there, but I'm already bricking it at about 800m!

I just tried to follow a signal, it's 300m down, fairly scary haha but i still don't have a rebreather so need one and just missing lead for the seamoth, need either one first before venturing back down.

Got the Seamoth, went to the distress signal 300m down, had to bail at 200m and swim the rest, barely made it back to the moth. Headed to nearby Island and beached it. RIP Seamoth, was a fun 5 minutes while it lasted. Spent 20 shameful minutes running into it, sightly moving it but couldn't get it back under the water. Last save was an hour ago when i needed just a couple of resources to make it. Back i go. Bad way to end the night but lesson learned!

Okay, losing that hour did wonders for me as I found wreckages I previously missed and when I reached the floating island, I found
    the Dagassi settlement which was class, lots of cool blueprints.

Built a moonpool, had to deconstruct my base and build a new one to fit onto it but it's so class, proper little home in the making. Zipping about in the seamoth and my next goal is the Aurora but I need one more fecking fragment for the cutter, driving me mad! I even looked up a youtube vid and spent 30 minutes in the are where they say there are 4, just found one, turns out the devs moved some. Any ideas on a definite piece?

After that, I need 1 more modification station plan and looks like I can get some better gear with that. Other than the cutting tool being so hard to find, I'm absolutely loving this.

You'll probably find one you find the last fragment for the cutting tool, you'll see them everywhere! I know there was some parts in a wreck, the wreck was large enough and vertical, and I died a couple of times trying to navigate it. Keep an eye out for those white crates with one side open, search every one you come across. I think there might be some on the sand seabed at the pod side of the Aurora too. But lots of nasties around there.

• Advertisement

If i find one more sea glider part I'll kill the nearest fish to me! I am finishing lots of blueprints though like some parts for the cyclops that looks epic.

I read there's a large vertical wreckage West of life pod 5, sounds like the same place you said so gonna head there next.... Just need to make a compass first :D

Advertisement