Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nissan Qashqai Epower

Options
  • 13-02-2021 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Any thoughts on Nissans hybrid offering in the new Qashqai?

Comments

Gael23 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Nissans hybrid offering in the new Qashqai?

How many Kwh is the battery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How many Kwh is the battery ?

I don’t know that. It’s more how it works is so unusual. It has a petrol engine which acts as a generator to charge the battery. This Barrett then powers a motor which drives the car.

I don’t know that. It’s more how it works is so unusual. It has a petrol engine which acts as a generator to charge the battery. This Barrett then powers a motor which drives the car.

The BMW i3 Rex has been doing this since 2014 except it has a 33 Kwh battery.

https://www.ruetir.com/2021/01/15/new-nissan-qashqai-electrified-powertrains-in/

there is a petrol engine on board that supplies the 2 kWh battery pack with energy when the engine requires it. You will not get very far on pure electric power, Nissan says that the electric range is only 1 to 2 kilometers without the approval of the petrol engine. The electric motor is 190 hp and 330 Nm strong and drives the front wheels in all cases, a four-wheel drive option is not available in this case. Average combined consumption should be 5.3 l / 100 km, according to Nissan.

It's hugely disappointing that they chose only 2 Kwh. The i3 has 33 Kwh and they even have the space for the Rex in the 44 Kwh version but choose to remove it because they said the range is enough but they forgot about fast charging which is very slow when the battery is cold enough......+ 200 - 250 Kms isn't enough, Rex was removed for other reasons.

I think Nissan made a huge mistake with this with no plug in version and decent size battery but I guess they're betting that more People will buy it simply because they left no alternative because the diesel version is gone, no harm in that at all but they could have done more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Same as a diesel train.

ted1 wrote: »
    Same as a diesel train.

How do you mean?

• Advertisement

How do you mean?

Diesel trains have been working like this for a long time, engine turns generator, motor drives the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

ted1 wrote: »
    Same as a diesel train.
    Not quite. A diesel electric loco doesn't store energy, so it has engine-generator-motor. This inefficient which is why you won't find it on your car. The ePower system only makes sense from the efficiency point of view because it's able to store energy (that is you have engine-battery-generator-motor) which is recovered when slowing.
    Electric drive is used on locomotives not because it's efficient - it isn't - but because it copes well with the power involved.
    Incidentally Irish diesel trains except those on the Cork-Dublin and Dublin-Belfast lines use hydraulic drive. There are plans afoot to replace this with hybrid transmissions which use conventional automatic gearboxes, a battery and a motor/generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Diesel trains have been working like this for a long time, engine turns generator, motor drives the train.
    Interestingly, not most Irish trains though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

Looks class to me, cool tech

188bhp, 330nm, instant torque

Will be amazing to drive, its gonna drive exactly like an electric car, will put turbo diesel and petrol to shame with that 188bhp electric motor

I cant see any drawbacks, its got all the benefits of an electric car ( instant torque, great acceleration ) and none of the drawbacks ( low range, slow charging, range anxiety )

I don't drive much so cost savings of electric car are not in for me and don't care about environment.

What's the price of this Qashqai?

latency89 wrote: »

Will be amazing to drive, its gonna drive exactly like an electric car, will put turbo diesel and petrol to shame with that 188bhp electric motor

I cant see any drawbacks, its got all the benefits of an electric car ( instant torque, great acceleration ) and none of the drawbacks ( low range, slow charging, range anxiety )

I don't drive much so cost savings of electric car are not in for me and don't care about environment.

Nobody knows prices yet.

What sort of fuel economy can be expected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Whether you care about it or not, pumping noxious gases onto our streets is still a pretty ****ty drawback.

Nobody knows prices yet.

What sort of fuel economy can be expected?

E-Power in the note in Japan is 60mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Its about 15 years too late, a bigger battery, a plug and or a small engine.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Its about 15 years too late, a bigger battery, a plug and or a small engine.

But it’s 100% electric propulsion!!

The real issue is that the E-power doesn't offer the really cheap motoring driving on grid energy Nissan really missed a huge opportunity here, even a 30 Kwh battery would have made a huge difference + there is still significant emissions especially when the engine is cold which will probably be a lot in city and town driving with stop start.

Sure it's going to be a lot better to drive than a manual 1.6L Diesel but it's truly sad to think that since 2009 when the leaf was a tiida mule that this is the best Nissan can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

its got all the benefits of an electric car ( instant torque, great acceleration ) and none of the drawbacks ( low range, slow charging, range anxiety )

I don't .............don't care about environment.

It doesn't have all the benefits of a BEV. In fact, it has very few of the benefits.

As for not caring about the environment, as Greta would say, "how dare you" :D.

Kramer wrote: »
    It doesn't have all the benefits of a BEV. In fact, it has very few of the benefits.

As for not caring about the environment, as Greta would say, "how dare you" :D.

All the benefits I care about anyway

Drives like an EV is all I want, that instant acceleration.

Saving €20 a week in petrol, hassle of charging doesn't appeal to me

I think its cool tech, its competing against petrol and diesel, not pure electric/pluggin electric, dont see the reason for the hate.

The real issue is that the E-power doesn't offer the really cheap motoring driving on grid energy Nissan really missed a huge opportunity here, even a 30 Kwh battery would have made a huge difference + there is still significant emissions especially when the engine is cold which will probably be a lot in city and town driving with stop start.

Sure it's going to be a lot better to drive than a manual 1.6L Diesel but it's truly sad to think that since 2009 when the leaf was a tiida mule that this is the best Nissan can offer.

Not everyone cares about sparing €20 a week on fuel Mad_Lad and even less the environment

Its drives like an EV and powered by energy dense petrol, it will be amazing to drive

I think there should have been a plug in hybrid option. Huge missed opportunity by Nissan. I’m nit aghast petrol power but I do believe electrification is the way forward.

Not everyone cares about sparing €20 a week on fuel Mad_Lad and even less the environment

Its drives like an EV and powered by energy dense petrol, it will be amazing to drive

I'm well aware most People don't care about the environment, Ireland is a filthy kip, the ditches all over the Island are littered with Rubbish and nobody cares.

There are a lot of People who would like a much cheaper to run car the size of the Qashqai compared to the Diesel.

It's really rather shocking that since the Lead came out in 2011, that 10 years later they go backwards or should I say arseways ? Leaf was BEV only, Epower is EV without the battery, so they go electric without the convenience of being able to use cheap electricity, it's funny.

Leaf should have had a Rex especially the 24-30 Kwh.

• Advertisement

There are a lot of People who would like a much cheaper to run car the size of the Qashqai compared to the Diesel.

It's really rather shocking that since the Lead came out in 2011, that 10 years later they go backwards or should I say arseways ? Leaf was BEV only, Epower is EV without the battery, so they go electric without the convenience of being able to use cheap electricity, it's funny.

Leaf should have had a Rex especially the 24-30 Kwh.

Depends on the price

Let be realistic a 60kWh Qashqai would be €45,000

A pluggin with a 15kWh battery and 70km range would also be €45,000 or so

I'm expecting this e-power to come in at €35,000 or so

€10,000 cheaper kills any cheap electricity savings for your average 15,000km per year family

I think there should have been a plug in hybrid option. Huge missed opportunity by Nissan. I’m nit aghast petrol power but I do believe electrification is the way forward.

Pluggins are a false economy imo, you'll pay way more for one brand new and whats 50km of range on electric worth in savings?

€3 saving a day over diesel/petrol?

Pluggins are a false economy imo, you'll pay way more for one brand new and whats 50km of range on electric worth in savings?

€3 saving a day over diesel/petrol?

That’s 21 euro a week.. my folks rarely do more than 50km a day.

Advertisement