Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Small electric SUV

• 03-02-2021 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

What’s in the market in this range aside from the Kona? Looking for something with easy access for an older driver

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Gael23 wrote: »
    What’s in the market in this range aside from the Kona? Looking for something with easy access for an older driver

E niro, E soul, e 2008, id4 might be a bit on the big side

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

graememk wrote: »
    E niro, E soul, e 2008, id4 might be a bit on the big side

Since I posted I’ve been looking at. Review of that. I think it is too big but might be worth a look.

Is there anything in the Plug in Hybrid range?

Would the eNiro be fairly big as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

New MG?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 PadraigBr

Kia Niro EV is the latest model for a mini SUV with better efficiency, reasonable prices for electricity, and minimal maintenance.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    New MG?

Not convinced my Chinese build quality but it’s certainly the right sort of car

Liking the Toyota CHR but that’s a self charging hybrid only

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Not convinced my Chinese build quality but it’s certainly the right sort of car

Liking the Toyota CHR but that’s a self charging hybrid only

I don't think the build quality is particularly bad. The lad in the Sunday times reviewed it last week and was very impressed by it. Reckoned the interior was bang on and had hints of Audi styling and the materials used on it were very good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

mfceiling wrote: »
    I don't think the build quality is particularly bad. The lad in the Sunday times reviewed it last week and was very impressed by it. Reckoned the interior was bang on and had hints of Audi styling and the materials used on it were very good quality.

Anybody buying an MG in Ireland is basically a test mule, why risk it when better cars with a strong dealer networks exist? The prices here are not even that competitive

Would a Renault Capture PHEV be of interest? The 2008 is another option

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The Kona is a crossover, not an SUV. SUVs have four wheel drive, decent ground clearance and towing capacity.

If you exclude the larger cars (EQC, i-Pace, e-Tron, Model X) you're left with I think:

- Kona
    - e-Niro
    - ID.4 (not small)
    - MG ZS EV (import only?)
    - Mazda MX-30 (early 2021?)
    - Ford Mustang Mach-E (this year?)
    - Model Y (in 2022?)

Casati wrote: »
    Anybody buying an MG in Ireland is basically a test mule, why risk it when better cars with a strong dealer networks exist? The prices here are not even that competitive

Would a Renault Capture PHEV be of interest? The 2008 is another option

Captur is worth a look but I’m not sure it’s high enough. Definitely open to PHEV though, electric is not essential but it has to be automatic

The Mach E and Model Y are a bit out of budget. All the Tesla tech would be wasted on an elderly driver anyway

• Advertisement

Peugeot e2008 is looking like a good option

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

When are you looking to buy, if I was in the market for a small suv/crossover. The Ioniq 5 which will be announced this month would be on my list. It's expected in Ireland late this year/Jan '22 based on rumours.

liamog wrote: »
    When are you looking to buy, if I was in the market for a small suv/crossover. The Ioniq 5 which will be announced this month would be on my list. It's expected in Ireland late this year/Jan '22 based on rumours.

What sort of price range will it be?

liamog wrote: »

This ioniq 5 looks worth the wait. It just needs to be easy to get in and out of. Budget can be flexible once its not silly money like Tesla or Mercedes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is the inoniq 5 going to be an SUV/ crossover type thingy ..
    What about the citroen e-C4 , or is that a hatchback ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Looks like the 5 is a decent sized Crossover, larger than the Kona I think.

I can't wait to see and drive it. Might be on my list, some impressive charging times too, all rumor of course. Due to be unveiled shortly too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What about the e208 or is that too small?

What about the e208 or is that too small?

It’s too low down. Needs to be easy access.
    I think the Nissan Qashqai epower might be worth a look. Not won over by the technology just yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are they doing a lot of long distance driving or mainly tipping around ?
    A Mazda .mx-30 might suit ..
    It's a crossover / suv thingy ,around 30 grand , and looks fairly conventional ( which might suit an older driver ) . Range isn't massive , but that mightn',t be a prob .( Still rated as having a 200km realistic driving range )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Are they doing a lot of long distance driving or mainly tipping around ?
    A Mazda .mx-30 might suit ..
    It's a crossover / suv thingy ,around 30 grand , and looks fairly conventional ( which might suit an older driver ) . Range isn't massive , but that mightn',t be a prob .( Still rated as having a 200km realistic driving range )

Longest frequent trip would be about 70km return with an occasional longer journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Looks like the 5 is a decent sized Crossover, larger than the Kona I think.

I can't wait to see and drive it. Might be on my list, some impressive charging times too, all rumor of course. Due to be unveiled shortly too.

Definitely larger than Kona.

Leaked specs have it approx same type of size as a Hyundai Tuscon.

Think it'll compete against ID4 (in terms of its size / interior capacity).

We'll know more shortly - on Feb 16th I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Patser

Opel Mokka E looks better on same platform - good Irish review over on Mokka e thread

Citoren C4 e - also looks good value on same platform

Will be curious to see Cupra El Born price - when it was originally Seat El Born I was hopeful for cheaper, sportier ID3, but launching a new brand Cupra for it suggests they'll charge a premium

Patser wrote: »
    Opel Mokka E looks better on same platform - good Irish review over on Mokka e thread

Citoren C4 e - also looks good value on same platform

Will be curious to see Cupra El Born price - when it was originally Seat El Born I was hopeful for cheaper, sportier ID3, but launching a new brand Cupra for it suggests they'll charge a premium

Mokka E looks like it’s worth consideration. Would need to tone down the style a bit but I’m sure that’s possible

Mokka E looks like it’s worth consideration. Would need to tone down the style a bit but I’m sure that’s possible

If you go to Vauxhall.co.uk they have a configuration option. Put it in a single flat (normal) colour and suddenly it's a lot more normal looking.

Select SRi option and get red inset trim, garish red highlighting on dash, red tint on wheel - select Black with red roof option and suddenly it looks like an 80s fetishist's dream Knight rider/ A team fantasy

What do you guys think of the Kia Xceed?

What do you guys think of the Kia Xceed?

That's on available PHEV as an electric option, yes?

It's a nice looking car, but there'll be little love in here for PHEVs I think.

Having had a hybrid before myself, they really do fall into jack of all trades, master of non trap. All the weight of an engine and batteries, makes for a very heavy car not great to take a backroad spin in, often they'll have a fidgety gear set up trying to decide should engine be on or off, and what gear and how much should the electric motor do etc.

You can't really beat the smoothness of a pure EV drive. If smaller Kia is your thing, look at the Soul.

Patser wrote: »
    That's on available PHEV as an electric option, yes?

It's a nice looking car, but there'll be little love in here for PHEVs I think.

Having had a hybrid before myself, they really do fall into jack of all trades, master of non trap. All the weight of an engine and batteries, makes for a very heavy car not great to take a backroad spin in, often they'll have a fidgety gear set up trying to decide should engine be on or off, and what gear and how much should the electric motor do etc.

You can't really beat the smoothness of a pure EV drive. If smaller Kia is your thing, look at the Soul.

Yes I’m aware that’s a PHEV. Not sure I like the Soul, it’s a very statement car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

They are unveiling the epower qashqai this Thursday, An easy intro to evs and no knowledge of charging needed. And should be well priced.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    They are unveiling the epower qashqai this Thursday, An easy intro to evs and no knowledge of charging needed. And should be well priced.

Yes will be checking this out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

By intro to EVs, Nissan mean a petrol car with none of the benefits of being able to plug in at home. It's a fancy Prius!.

Advertisement