Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CZ 457 MTR .22lr wit 20" barrel?

Options
  • 11-02-2021 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting the CZ 457 MTR .22.
    Have any of you boyo's got one and any feedback on accuracy in the real world?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

Brother in law has the 457 mtr, very slick smooth bolt, side bolt release like tikka and bergara/rem700. His is very accurate, very heavy, feels really nice and the scallop for your hand is very comfy.

Definitely a sub moa rifle, his is picky with ammo to be fair and funny enough his preffered rws or eley over the cci subs

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭JP22

alan0387 wrote: »
    Brother in law has the 457 mtr, very slick smooth bolt, side bolt release like tikka and bergara/rem700. His is very accurate, very heavy, feels really nice and the scallop for your hand is very comfy.

Definitely a sub moa rifle, his is picky with ammo to be fair and funny enough his preffered rws or eley over the cci subs

MTR's are very accurate compared to the standard CZ and other rifles.

If accuracy is your game, you have to use good quality match grade ammo, CCI is certainly not in this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Can you get it with a 16 inch barrel? Personally I prefer a shorter barrel because it makes the setup less cumbersome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

Can you get it with a 16 inch barrel? Personally I prefer a shorter barrel because it makes the setup less cumbersome

Yes, and other models more adept to hunting.
    I'm looking at the MTR model more for a little benchrest shooting, with hunting if I want to.

I have the CZ 455 varmint with 16" barrel now. A very good shooter, I have it pillar bedded, custom sear trigger (brakes like glass, no creep), 11 degree crown and more done to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Wadi14

clivej, I don't have a cz but just wondering if you have a 455, could you not buy an aftermarket barrel for it something like the Lilja ? might be a good option for the benchrest stuff.

• Advertisement

Wadi14 wrote: »
    clivej, I don't have a cz but just wondering if you have a 455, could you not buy an aftermarket barrel for it something like the Lilja ? might be a good option for the benchrest stuff.

CZ's are fine accurate rifles and are ok for benchrest in factory sporter and light varmint class comps.

However, they will not cut the mustard in heavy class when up against Match 54's, Walthers and custom built rifles.

Of course you are correct JP and clivej would be aware of that to. He isn't looking for an Anschutz or Walther.

A match aftermarket barrel is still an option as to buying another cz rifle, he might be able to squeeze that little bit more out of it, and as he has all the work done to the one he has now, he's good to go.

I was just wondering is an MTR going to give him anymore than his varmint, maybe not. Stick a Lilja on the varmint and the MTR most likely wont.

Greetings Wadi, I agree with you, don't have a CZ or an MTR, clivej has some very good work done but I was just wondering if his breach is match grade.

A new barrel from a good maker will certainly improve things if the breech is also match grade.

The MTR has a match chamber, I'm guessing that's why clivej has his eye on it, that being said we are talking about a repeater match chamber, which wouldn't be as tight as the single shot match rifles you mentioned earlier.
    But compared to most of the higher end repeaters it would be on par, so I have no doubt the MTR should be accurate.(for a repeater rifle)
    I do believe that putting a top grade match barrel on any factory repeater should improve it's performance.
    I'd love the ability to be able to easily change the barrel on my 22 but them Annie's are well pinned in lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

Wadi14 and JP22 to somehow answer your posts and kinda put my thinking on this.

Lilja drop in barrel at $450 in the US and then get it over here would be as much as the new CZ MTR (well nearly). Unless you lads know where to one them here. I've seen a CZ 455 fitted with a Lilja used in benchrest here at Harbour House in competition and it shot very well.

My CZ 455 varmint thumbhole 16" is shooting .6 inch groups at 50m now (on a good day) and will stay within a 1" patch all day, so it's not too bad. I put it into an old Brno stock, that I have pillar bedded, to bring it under the 8.5lb limit for benchrest with Hawk 8-32x56 scope (only just under by 2oz). Also to shoot the 100m competitions the club runs.
    But as you boy'os know when you've seen something that gets your itch, you get to thinking you just got'a scratch it.
    I'm getting a very good price for one with a trade-in so that is taking the edge off the money side, (trading a firearm I don't use now and has to go), There is a great review of the CZ 457 Long Range Precision rifle in the February eition of Rifle Shooter magazine.
    And I'll most probably put the CZ 455 up for sale as well, as I can't see the point I having 2 for the same type of shooting. I'm coming up to 70 this year and I'm coming around to thinking my shooting disaplines need to change.

• Advertisement

https://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/shop/other-brands/rifle-barrels/
    Give these guys a shout , but as you know they probably wont be cheap. You could have it sent to a Northern dealer.

But we all know what your saying about an itch.
    The MTR is definitely a nice piece of kit, but it will take you out of sporter class with its weight.
    I really like the look of the LRP, match chamber and adjustability.

Clive have you looked at the Anschutz 1761, I know they are pricey but they seem to be a very accurate rifle, the Field Sporting Prone record 399.034 was set with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭GooseB

I have a 1761 - it's excellent. They're not cheap but you won't be spending additional money changing the barrel or fiddling with the trigger, etc. either.

Advertisement