Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

XPeng G3 - Chinese EV SUV

• 09-02-2021 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭

Chinese EV carmaker XPeng Motors is one of the largest EV carmakers in China after NIO and BYD.

They have started deliveries of XPeng G3 SUV to Norway in December. The car starts at €33,700 over there. It's a cheaper competitor of VW ID4. And in reality Tesla Model X clone (poor man's Tesla clone)

WLTP range 451 km. Chademo DC charging 50 kW (possibly upgradable to 75 kW), AC 11 kW charging. All driver-assist tech including lidar and quasi-autonomous driving stuff.

https://www.electrive.com/2020/12/21/xpeng-launches-delivery-of-g3-electric-suv-in-norway/

Video from Fully Charged, including rather positive review from Nyland:
    https://youtu.be/J5FPcGWA12c

Company website:
    https://en.xiaopeng.com/g3.html

Looks like a lot of car for the buck. Thoughts? Would you buy one if it was available?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

That's the one that constantly chimes and bells and bleeps at you yeah? That alone would put me off buying it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

slave1 wrote:
    Ah Xpeng, you CHAdeMO vixen

That's the only disadvantage from my point of view.

McGiver wrote: »
    That's the only disadvantage from my point of view.

You've not heard the bleeps

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

You've not heard the bleeps

As the song goes, ya'aint seen nothin yet....

Just wait until next year when automatic speed limiting devices in cars becomes mandatory for all new builds - prepare for an assault on the senses...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,688 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Norway prices:

Tesla Model 3 €39k, 250kW charging (CCS, Tesla Superchargers), 0-100km/h in 5.5s, WLTP range 423km
    Xpeng G3 €33k, 50kW charging (CHAdeMO :rolleyes:), 0-100km/h in 8.6s, WLTP range 451km

I know it's a more practical form factor and all that, just interesting to compare the stats. Doesn't look like that much of a bargain to me. Can anyone add in a comparable VW ID.4 with Norwegian price as this will likely be the main competitor?

unkel wrote: »
    Norway prices:

Tesla Model 3 €39k, 250kW charging (CCS, Tesla Superchargers), 0-100km/h in 5.5s, WLTP range 423km
    Xpeng G3 €33k, 50kW charging (CHAdeMO :rolleyes:), 0-100km/h in 8.6s, WLTP range 451km

I know it's a more practical form factor and all that, just interesting to compare the stats. Doesn't look like that much of a bargain to me. Can anyone add in a comparable VW ID.4 with Norwegian price as this will likely be the main competitor?

The 77kWh ID4 in norway starts at about
    €42k, 125kW charging via CCS, 0-100km/h in 8.5s, WLTP range of 500km.

At least that's what I could gather from VWs norway site.

The Xpeng isn't bad, it just lacks in a lot of places.
    The monitor is like they copied the original tesla UI design of 3d icons and rounded corners. Flat UI is the order of the day these days. Xpeng looks like an iphone from 5 years ago.
    The bings and bongs are absolutely non stop! Everything you do is a bing.
    CHAdeMO!? :confused:
    50kW charging!! :confused:

Very much doubt there'll be a right hand drive one, and certainly not going to sell in Ireland. Will have to be an import, so... never.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I can understand the ID4 reference but I feel this is a direct Model Y competitor, striking similarities

The 77kWh ID4 in norway starts at about
    €42k, 125kW charging via CCS, 0-100km/h in 8.5s, WLTP range of 500km.

That's a lot of money, given the absence of taxes. Is there a cheaper model ID.4 over there or not yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Norway prices:

Does the Xpeng offer the same driver assist features ?

• Advertisement

That's a lot of money, given the absence of taxes. Is there a cheaper model ID.4 over there or not yet?

Three are, but with smaller batteries. I picked the cheapest 77kWh battery since that's what we're getting here for now

Three are, but with smaller batteries. I picked the cheapest 77kWh battery since that's what we're getting here for now

VW is probably more efficient. Battery size and extra range might be a requirement for some, but likely for most buyers it would be seen as a nice to have. I'd still like to see a comparison with the smaller pack battery ID.4!

unkel wrote:
    Tesla Model 3 €39k, 250kW charging (CCS, Tesla Superchargers), 0-100km/h in 5.5s, WLTP range 423km Xpeng G3 €33k, 50kW charging (CHAdeMO ), 0-100km/h in 8.6s, WLTP range 451km
    Tesla is not an SUV.

G3 is placing itself as the model X/Y competitor. Not as m3 competitor. That's gonna be the other model, I think P9 is the name.

It's a lot of car for the money. Who cares about the sounds with all the tech it has.

Tesla is not an SUV.

Indeed. Model Y (LHD) has already been pictured on the continent though, will hit Norway market in a few months. Costing only a few grand more than Model 3

I'd say ID.4 is the closest competitor to this XPeng, followed by Kia eNiro and then Tesla Model Y

That's strong competition, I haven't seen much of a reason to pick it over the competition, not even price. Maybe spec for the money.

unkel wrote:
    I'd say ID.4 is the closest competitor to this XPeng, followed by Kia eNiro and then Tesla Model Y

Id4 vs G3 - 42k vs 33k. 21% cheaper. Substantial.

I don't know what tech the Id4 has but the G3 has a lot of it...

Yeah but my point is, that is the higher price / bigger battery model. That's why I was asking did anyone know the price of the entry level ID.4? It doesn't seem to be on the volkswagen.no website

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I don't know what tech the Id4 has but the G3 has a lot of it...

One is a renowned European manufacturer with support and service in most towns

The other is an unknown Chinese company. Rightly or wrongly, there’s your 21%

ted1 wrote:
    One is a renowned European manufacturer with support and service in most towns

ted1 wrote:
    The other is an unknown Chinese company. Rightly or wrongly, there’s your 21%

I know. But the same could be said of the Japs many years ago, and then the Koreans many years ago.
    The Chinese are next, and they're going to sell big. Give it few years, it's coming. They'll move straight away to the EV segment and skip ICE altogether.

unkel wrote:
    Yeah but my point is, that is the higher price / bigger battery model. That's why I was asking did anyone know the price of the entry level ID.4? It doesn't seem to be on the volkswagen.no website

Right, I see now that's the 75+ kWh...

I know. But the same could be said of the Japs many years ago, and then the Koreans many years ago.
    The Chinese are next, and they're going to sell big.

Indeed. Agreed with all of that.

In the 70s / 80s the Japanese cars weren't cheaper, but they were better specced and more reliable. That's how they succeeded.

In the 90s / 00s the Koreans were a lot cheaper, but sub par. They sold some cars in Europe, but not in big numbers. In the 10s they were a bit cheaper, but far more reliable, better specced, better built and with long warranties. That's how and when they succeeded.

Chinese cars must have some significant benefits for them to succeed. A few grand cheaper than a VW that seems superior in many ways doesn't really cut the mustard

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    Chinese cars must have some significant benefits for them to succeed. A few grand cheaper than a VW that seems superior in many ways doesn't really cut the mustard

They'll go the Korean way. Cheaper for the same/better specs. Reliability certainly won't be their trump.

They'll go the Korean way. Cheaper for the same/better specs. Reliability certainly won't be their trump.

It took the Koreans a few decades to figure out that pricing their inferior cars a couple of grand under the European equivalent did not work. They had to up their game, produce almost equally good cars with very high reliability and very long warranties (5, 7 years), with higher spec and lower price, to take a significant market share

The Chinese should learn a few lessons there. An Xpeng like this at this price is not going to do it...

Advertisement