Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clarice - CBS - US Pace (**Spoilers**)

• 08-12-2020 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

Starts February 11th

First look at Clarice
    “Clarice” is a deep dive into the untold personal story of FBI Agent Clarice Starling as she returns to the field in 1993, one year after the events of “The Silence of the Lambs.” Brilliant and vulnerable, Clarice’s bravery gives her an inner light that draws monsters and madmen to her. However, her complex psychological makeup that comes from a challenging childhood empowers her to begin to find her voice while working in a man’s world, as well as escape the family secrets that have haunted her throughout her life.

Clarice-Rebecca-Breeds.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Youtube trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

From Wikipedia:
    Due to complicated rights issues of franchise characters between Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Dino de Laurentiis Company, the series cannot feature or make reference to Hannibal Lecter.
    G'luck! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"The silence is over"? So she's hearing the lambs again? Or just whoever came up with that taking missed the point?

I'm assuming the scenes from Silence in that trailer are reshot, maybe as flashbacks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Due to the same complications, the excellent 'Hannibal' TV show couldn't feature Clarice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ixoy wrote: »
    Due to the same complications, the excellent 'Hannibal' TV show couldn't feature Clarice.

It was set well befofe her time in any event o it didn't need her.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Marcusm wrote: »
    It was set well befofe her time in any event o it didn't need her.
    S4 would have planned as being the events of 'Silence of the Lambs' given they covered 'Red Dragon'.

First reviews are saying its very bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

First reviews are saying its very bland.
    Looks a bit mixed yeah but some positive ones including in Variety.
    Looks worth watching
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/clarice/s01

Very average pilot episode for me.

Well it's set in 1993 so it's set about two years after the film.

Mad that they can't say the name Lecter due to copyright since Lecter is so important in creating Clarice and making her the investigator she is.

The accent is annoying.

I need some quid pro quo for my continued viewing like a better interesting script and not a paint by numbers one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I WANT I WANT I WANT ! Who do I have to f*ck to be able to see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭corkie

The accent is annoying.

Hopefully the phase out the 'Jodie Foster ~ Clarice' accent/lisp in due course.

Edit 2: -

"There are some things about Clarice’s history that cannot be undone.

One is the character’s West Virginia dialect — something Dr. Lecter notes in Lambs that she’s “tried so desperately to shed.” Breeds said she had no idea what it meant when her audition script had the note “with a hint of Appalachia,” and her husband, actor Luke Mitchell, originally advised her to skip it and just do an American accent."

Looks like it is scripted, so stuck with it?

We known who she is and the background of SOTL, so doesn't need this reinforcement

Creators Alex Kurtzman(creator) Jenny Lumet(creator)

Bad Robot production

Edit 1: -

"CBS did find room in its soul for the gleefully irreverent Evil. And if you're not aiming to be transgressively weird with a Silence of the Lambs sequel — well, why bother? Clarice's other co-creator is Alex Kurtzman, a practiced IP hack known for Transformers, various Star Treks, a failed Mummy, and the worst Spider-Man. That's a lot of money made off other people's originality. Can't we institute some kind of limit on this stuff, like maybe a person can only work in four pre-existing universes per decade? His participation makes Clarice feel even more like a dastardly act of franchise capitalism. I'd believe you if you told me Kurtzman was planning a Buffalo Bill prequel series, or a throwback procedural where Clarice Starling's dad solves '60s crime."

Clarice doesn't have any brains worth chewing: Review
    The Silence of the Lambs becomes another bland procedural.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I thought that was quite weak, more like a generic police procedural with references to Silence of the Lambs. I'll give it another couple of episodes to see if it improves but I'm not hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm not keen on the lead actress

Lads how are you all able to watch this ? I tried signing up to the CBS streaming service but it's only available to U.S. residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭corkie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'm not keen on the lead actress

Everlong1 wrote: »
    Lads how are you all able to watch this ? I tried signing up to the CBS streaming service but it's only available to U.S. residents.

By non legitimate means, that can't be discussed on Boards.

Watching now. The lead actress reminds me of Robin Tunney

corkie wrote: »

By non legitimate means, that can't be discussed on Boards.

Woe is poor old law abiding me. :mad: I'll just have to wait till it turns up on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Decent enough pilot (considering some of the atrocities coming out recently) but if its just gonna be murder of the week then no thanks - they are a dime a dozen at the mo

Not sure if the theme of the season is this headache company...?

Yeah the whole thing about Clarice being this great BAU agent after solving 1 case is going to be annoying. And the creepy serial killers have been done in Criminal Minds

• Advertisement

It’s basically another slick CBS crime show that fits into there family of cop, action, detective, court shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked this actually. I did feel like Rebecca Breeds was doing a Jodie Foster impersonation, but I'm OK with that.

I thought it was stylish enough too. A cut above the usual procedurals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Everlong1 wrote: »
    I WANT I WANT I WANT ! Who do I have to f*ck to be able to see this?

A US iTunes account

I just watched the first episode.

It was good. I’m not “hooked” yet but I want to see more.

Mad that they can't say the name Lecter due to copyright since Lecter is so important in creating Clarice and making her the investigator she is.

The accent is annoying.

I need some quid pro quo for my continued viewing like a better interesting script and not a paint by numbers one.

What is annoying about the accent?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Decent enough pilot (considering some of the atrocities coming out recently) but if its just gonna be murder of the week then no thanks - they are a dime a dozen at the mo

Not sure if the theme of the season is this headache company...?

The final few minutes did seem to be setting up the investigation into the pharmaceutical company as being the primary story arc but the purpose of the VICAP task force is catching violent crimes and serial killers.

Unless the company repeatedly hires killers to murder people that investigation is out of Clarice’s hands.

I’m interested in seeing more of Catherine go even more bat**** crazy.

Ok episode 2 was better than the pilot and there is enough there for me to go back for episode 3 however she needs to drop the accent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What is annoying about the accent?
    It's really grating for being forced.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It’s basically another slick CBS crime show that fits into there family of cop, action, detective, court shows.

You say that like you think it's a bad thing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Episode 2 was definitely better - will keep watching, thought there was a touch of trying the stylistic approach of Hannibal in the episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it's no Hannibal and it can't have a killer of the week plotline, we need an arc
    but it has promise and I'll give the requisite number of episodes before scrapping it before it gets ****

Advertisement