Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chronic chronograph want

• 12-02-2021 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭

I'm a sucker for chronographs. I've always liked the multi dial look, especially the classic 3, 6 and 9 o clock triple dial layout. It's hard to settle on one though I'm constantly flitting between 150 euro citizens and Seikos to the entry level autos and everything in between. There's so much choice out there in quartz it kind of feels like that's where its at and an automatic chrono is just... pardon the pun... an unnecessary complication.

I don't see a huge amount of chrono pics posted here, what's the forum take on them? Has everyone got one in their collection?

I'm always following Tag Heuer F1 chrono on adverts but I invariably end up racing myself to the bottom - quartz stainless steel for 800 ish? Sure I a Bulova or Tissot would be half that, and a Seiko solar half that again and I'm right back where I started, looking at Citizens :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'm a sucker for chronographs. I've always liked the multi dial look, especially the classic 3, 6 and 9 o clock triple dial layout. It's hard to settle on one though I'm constantly flitting between 150 euro citizens and Seikos to the entry level autos and everything in between. There's so much choice out there in quartz it kind of feels like that's where its at and an automatic chrono is just... pardon the pun... an unnecessary complication.

I don't see a huge amount of chrono pics posted here, what's the forum take on them? Has everyone got one in their collection?

I'm always following Tag Heuer F1 chrono on adverts but I invariably end up racing myself to the bottom - quartz stainless steel for 800 ish? Sure I a Bulova or Tissot would be half that, and a Seiko solar half that again and I'm right back where I started, looking at Citizens :)

Has to be a Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch for me.. i had a few others but just kept coming back to it.. expensive though at around 3k for anything secondhand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Zenith offer the best value second hand in quality chronographs, people overlook them a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I'm rather fond of a chrono myself.
    wOHTnI.jpg

Ignore the SKX, but you can see a pattern here :)

I also love the 3,6,9 layout for tricompax, but I also love the story behind the movements themselves, hence the 7750 flieger pictured.

I am currently looking at getting a 7753 variant, which gives that classic lay out.

That said, I love the Mark II - to me, it means more than a moon watch.

The Cartier pictured is an interesting oddball. It was was signature piece, but features a Seiko 7A38 movement which is a quartz, but a jeweled and serviceable movement.

I like a three-hander, GMTs don't mean a lot to me, but a nice chrono with an interesting movement is irresistible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Still wearing my one today.

543195.jpg

Though I personally prefer the two subdial look over the three. Generally speaking anyway. I had a Speedmaster many years ago and sold it on. Though it was a lovely watch and fitted well I think it was the three dial layout I couldn't get on with. Had a couple of Seiko Pogues too. I liked them except for the fact you can't hand wind them, they're automatic only and that irked me greatly(First World Problems :D ) so I moved them on too.

To give you an idea how long ago that was. I couldn't find a pic of them, but did find an old pic of the auction I won for one of them. 55 quids of the sterlings. :eek::D

543198.jpg

Actually it wasn't that long ago. Ten years maybe?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Has to be a Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch for me.. i had a few others but just kept coming back to it.. expensive though at around 3k for anything secondhand
    Aye, nice watch though. As Fitz notes Zenith make a very nice chrono and take a hit in the secondhand market so good buys are to be had, Breitling another, though IMHO Longines are a better bet on that score. Decent movements tweaked by them from the base ETA movements, the longest history in chronographs of all the brands and half the price or more of the equivalent Zenith offerings. Seiko are probably the best bet for more entry level pricing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye, nice watch though. As Fitz notes Zenith make a very nice chrono and take a hit in the secondhand market so good buys are to be had, Breitling another, though IMHO Longines are a better bet on that score. Decent movements tweaked by them from the base ETA movements, the longest history in chronographs of all the brands and half the price or more of the equivalent Zenith offerings. Seiko are probably the best bet for more entry level pricing.

I find the speedy just sits perfectly on my wrist at 7.25 inches

It fit fine on my scrawny sub 6.5 wrist too, yet some find them awkward. I think it may be down to the shape on the wrist? I've thin wrists, but they're flat on top for the want of a better word, mor D shaped than O. Maybe they're less comfortable on the rounder and smaller wrists?

It fit fine on my scrawny sub 6.5 wrist too, yet some find them awkward. I think it may be down to the shape on the wrist? I've thin wrists, but they're flat on top for the want of a better word, mor D shaped than O. Maybe they're less comfortable on the rounder and smaller wrists?

Im really enjoying mine on Erikas original marine original type strap... it has a stretch to it so super comfy

When I had mine it was a bracelet version, but I found the bracelet uncomfortable. I stuck it on a basic leather strap and it was grand.

Jeebus, you wouldn't want to go on a deep dive on chrono24. :)

Want!

16144802-7z2clii6t8f94zt6sq5vtvp1-Zoom.jpg

Checks prices of kidneys on the dark web.

18382137-k1cyc1q5im4fkdznht8jgf6l-Zoom.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I wasn't in as early as Wibbs, but I've got only one chrono, took a chance with a Greek seller on the bay. It's probably the only watch that has increased in value since I bought it.

543238.jpg

natostrapco even gave me a free strap for it's 40th birthday!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I love a Pogue - went up on the same Skylab mission as the Mark II Speedie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am a sucker for a chrono but have reigned things in. Down to four of them now.

888-ABD4-C-13-C9-488-D-88-C6-F0-DC06-C94-A36.jpg

Ah another two register fan I see. :)

When it comes to a two-register classic chrono, I do love a Strela...
    strelaneu3eckig.jpg

But lately I found the Seiko NE86-based Zeppelin, and I am quite taken.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIdFdMGkmz8MjlyvyXIO78oI5ZPNdSOt6QOw&usqp=CAU

Must resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Sweeeet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jeebus, you wouldn't want to go on a deep dive on chrono24. :)

Want!

Checks prices of kidneys on the dark Web.

That is a stunner alright

https://www.shucktheoyster.com/longines-vintage-chronograph-7413-6/?hcb=1

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    But lately I found the Seiko NE86-based Zeppelin, and I am quite taken.

Must resist!

That zeppelin is a beauty too. 1249 euro is a good price too isn't it?

Where are Seiko hiding that auto chrono movement in their own catalogue??!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Mine...

543333.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

Very nice too.

I've decided I like the twin dialers too now, but in a modern case. I've never been a fan of that excess slabby metal around the dial aka the turtle look, which is common to a lot of vintage 9 and 3 dial chronos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

fat bloke wrote: »
    Very nice too.

I've decided I like the twin dialers too now, but in a modern case. I've never been a fan of that excess slabby metal around the dial aka the turtle look, which is common to a lot of vintage 9 and 3 dial chronos.

Love the IWC great looking watch. Agree with you fat bloke on the turtle look to cases, looks melted and somehow unintentional.

I like Chronos a lot but only have this one as it turns out:

eOaGw2j.jpg

I declared myself out in respect of significant new acquisitions but if I was ever going back there I'd probably be considering an IWC somethingsomethingsomething.

Or a Reverso.

But like I said, I'm out.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Here's my chronograph grail, a doxa t graph 200. I think it's the splash of yellow on the sub dial that draws me to it. It's twice the price of the doxa sub 300t I have.

https://images.app.goo.gl/TSUxajeiK5fz1cTe8

Advertisement