Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139 - April 23

• 12-02-2021 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to this and Persona 5 Strikers as my must buy games of 2021. Never played the original Nier, but after Nier Automata this is probably a day one purchase.

I only hope the PC version doesn't have the same issues as Automata...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Greatest 7/10 game ever

In the same boat, never played the original despite have a copy of the 360 version still in it's shrink wrap that I got on sale many moons ago. I put it on the long finger as a pal told me I'd need to play it three times for completion and forgot about it.

If it's the same as Automata in that the 3 plays are different perspectives then I really wish that was spelled out to me. Have been tempted to dust off the 360 to play it but video I've seen of it makes it look very much a 10 year old game.

Sounds like Laura Bailey in the video above.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Jesus Christ, the Japanese penchant for ludicrous game names.......:rolleyes:

Wasn't Nier Automata the one with the robots in the miniskirts with the default camera angle looking up their arses?

Yeah. Pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Enfilade wrote: »
    In the same boat, never played the original despite have a copy of the 360 version still in it's shrink wrap that I got on sale many moons ago. I put it on the long finger as a pal told me I'd need to play it three times for completion and forgot about it.

If it's the same as Automata in that the 3 plays are different perspectives then I really wish that was spelled out to me. Have been tempted to dust off the 360 to play it but video I've seen of it makes it look very much a 10 year old game.

Sounds like Laura Bailey in the video above.

It's not really beat it three times. First time you play it the whole way through, the second and third time you play from the halfway point so you will fly through the game (although the last ending requires you to get all the weapons in the game, I hope they don't make that so tedious). It's a short enough game anyway.

If you want to experience the game you really need to at least play the second new game loop. It adds something to completely turns the narrative of the game on it's head and makes it a totally different experience. It's sort of amazing.

And that is Laura Bailey as Kaine. It's probably the best thing she has done and the banter and chemistry between her and Weiss is great.
    Kirby wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, the Japanese penchant for ludicrous game names.......:rolleyes:

Wasn't Nier Automata the one with the robots in the miniskirts with the default camera angle looking up their arses?

Yeah. Pass.

You're missing out. They're both remarkable pieces of videogame narrative that do things no other videogame does. Bit rough around the edges maybe but there's really nothing like them. Just a really unique and great experience. And they aren't as anime as you are prejudicing them with.

Started this over the weekend. I recently replayed Automata so had that fresh in my mind.

Not that far into it but I am enjoying it. Ok it's been mostly a series of go here, go there, get that and come back basic quests but I feel like that will change soon enough.

Weiss is great. The music is fantastic. Some of the humour is very good like you are tasked with catching a certain fish to make medicine and of course I was rubbish at it and failed a few times then got a black screen with "two days later" on it and back to the game where I now have the stupid fish and get some wise crack from Weiss :D

It will be interesting to see what this delivers for me in terms of story given what I know from Automata. There is a massive gulf between the time Replicant is set and Automata. A matter of some 7 or 8000 years.

• Advertisement

Enfilade wrote: »
    Started this over the weekend. I recently replayed Automata so had that fresh in my mind.

Not that far into it but I am enjoying it. Ok it's been mostly a series of go here, go there, get that and come back basic quests but I feel like that will change soon enough.

Weiss is great. The music is fantastic. Some of the humour is very good like you are tasked with catching a certain fish to make medicine and of course I was rubbish at it and failed a few times then got a black screen with "two days later" on it and back to the game where I now have the stupid fish and get some wise crack from Weiss :D

It will be interesting to see what this delivers for me in terms of story given what I know from Automata. There is a massive gulf between the time Replicant is set and Automata. A matter of some 7 or 8000 years.

It's pretty much its own thing with only the very loosest connection to automata.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

I'm just onto the second half of this game and enjoying it.

Might have to bump it up to hard though as I'm finding it very easy, especially as the words you can apply to weapons get better. In particular the boss fight against
    number 6 was very easy for what was supposed to be the ultimate lab created weapon.

Slight spoilers for the 2nd half
    I don't like the player character's voice after the time skip. Sounds way too deep and trying to be generic action guy which isn't helped by the fact he looks like an off-brand version of Cloud from Final Fantasy.

Only parts I've been disappointed in is the gardening being linked to real time and the soundtrack isn't as interesting as Automata's.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Finished it there on Monday, all endings.

I agree that the difficulty falls off on Normal, but hard is too health spongey.

The story beats are great, but there's a bit too much re-running through areas towards the back half of my playtime.

The new ending for the remaster is brilliant though, just it's a bit of a pain getting to it.

Now I want a Drakengard 3 remaster!

Now I want a Drakengard 3 remaster!

I'm playing it at the moment.

Drakengard 3 needs a looooooot of work to be playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I like Drakengard 3 but yea it needs better camera movement and a framerate of at least 30fps without judder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement