Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Open 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

camz09 wrote: »
    Are people watching this on Eurosport player? I don't understand their highlights..literally all matches replay are posted, even some doubles, EXCEPT the Tiafoe-Djokovic one is not there?¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Half asleep watching the Wawrinka-Fucsovic only to wake up Fucs winning in the end, surprising! Also happy to see Su Wei Hsieh the bamboozler/giant killer again!

Hsieh is so good to watch, and seems to thrive off the power being directed at her, should beat errani and think qf a definite possibility which would be her best ever GS performance at 35.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thrilled for Hsieh, that was everything I hoped from her and more, she's brilliant when she's on. Would liked to have seen her play Venus next, but not to be. Difficult not to feel some sympathy for Andreescu though, coming back after 15 months and then being caged in her room for two weeks was tough, but at least she got to play. Now what she needs is matches, matches and more matches. I think she's signed in to Adelaide in a couple of weeks? Maybe she might even request a wildcard for Philip Island Trophy that's being put on next week.

Disappointed Humbert couldn't get the job done. I know the crowd are obviously gonna be pretty overt in their support for an Australian, but a bit unnecessary to wildly cheer his missed first serves. Bit nervous about the looming Thiem-Kyrgios match, especially when they've never even played a full set against each other, but I trust Thiem will get the job done handily enough.

Quite impressed with what I've seen from Shapovalov so far, he's got a good chance of making his second grand slam QF and will have navigated his way through a tricky draw to do so.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hsieh is so good to watch, and seems to thrive off the power being directed at her, should beat errani and think qf a definite possibility which would be her best ever GS performance at 35.

I dunno, she's 0-3 against Errani and has never even won a set. In fact the six sets went 61 60 60 64 60 61! Two of the matches were on clay though, so I really hope Hsieh gets the job done this time, a QF against Osaka would be nice :cool:
    Great matches, felt bad for Tomljanovic, but she has a future in the game for sure.

Kryios is great, don't really like the guy as a person but total entertainment and something Tennis badly needs.
    Glad he went through.

Don't think so tbh, she's been around a long time now. She'll be 28 in May, and her best performance at a slam was 4R of RG almost seven years ago.

I dunno, she's 0-3 against Errani and has never even won a set. In fact the six sets went 61 60 60 64 60 61! Two of the matches were on clay though, so I really hope Hsieh gets the job done this time, a QF against Osaka would be nice :cool:

Don't think so tbh, she's been around a long time now. She'll be 28 in May, and her best performance at a slam was 4R of RG almost seven years ago.

Hadnt seen that head to head record, not all that recent but could suggest hseih not able to impose her preferred style on a player like errani. Definitely no gimme, i just hope hseih wins because i really really dislike errani!

Was surprised when i checked Tomljanovic bio while watching her earlier, expected her to be younger. Judging by that performance you'd wonder why she isnt higher in the rankings but generally there is a reason for these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

nice to know Hsieh is liked by others. always a fan of hers.

I feel sad for Venus. and im a much bigger fan of hers than her sister Serena. I respect Serena and acknowledge she was better than Graf, but i cant stand her attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RTE sports coverage and not one mention of the Halep v Tomljanovic match.

That was such a great match and RTE gives it zilch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Augme

Kyrgios will always be one of those what if stories. Amazing natural talent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

He totally switched on when facing match point. Brilliant after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Augme wrote: »
    Kyrgios will always be one of those what if stories. Amazing natural talent.

yeah id say Kyrgios the most naturally talented fellow out there.
    Though isnt his family Malalysian royalty so id say there was money for many private tennis lessons when he was younger. im not taking a dig. id be far more a fan of his than his nemesis djoko.

somebody needs to stir up the medvedev and Tsitsipas rivalry. create a bit of excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

yeah id say Kyrgios the most naturally talented fellow out there.
    Though isnt his family Malalysian royalty so id say there was money for many private tennis lessons when he was younger. im not taking a dig. id be far more a fan of his than his nemesis djoko.

somebody needs to stir up the medvedev and Tsitsipas rivalry. create a bit of excitement.

Although I think Kyrgios is an unbearable ********, i don't think the Malaysian royalty angle bestowed any great wealth on the family.
    The private schools he went to in Canberra would have been fairly midrange fee-wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Norrie v Safiullin was an entertaining match, Medvedev (Terminator) looks impressive.

Nadal - same old crap, start of the tournament - he's injured , he won't last long bla bla bla .... he proceeds to play stronger than he has ever played, today I don't think I've ever seen him hit the ball as hard from the baseline.... hm

Amazing the way he just gets stronger and stronger and stronger and STONGER!! as the years pass.... 35 in June!!!

That woman who heckled him, can't say I blame her, he's a despicable character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Norrie v Safiullin was an entertaining match, Medvedev (Terminator) looks impressive.

Nadal - same old crap, start of the tournament - he's injured , he won't last long bla bla bla .... he proceeds to play stronger than he has ever played, today I don't think I've ever seen him hit the ball as hard from the baseline.... hm

Amazing the way he just gets stronger and stronger and stronger and STONGER!! as the years pass.... 35 in June!!!

That woman who heckled him, can't say I blame her, he's a despicable character.

Why do you think he’s despicable? What did the heckler say?

Watching Sabalenka, pretty impressive, not overloaded on finesse, but if she could tame the wildness and UEs, she'd be quite the force. Looking like last 16 v serena, tough one for serena i think.

Great first set between hseih and errani, thoroughly absorbing. Errani looks out on her feet already.

Victoria going back into lockdown, no crowds for the next 5 days at least in Melbourne :(

Victoria going back into lockdown, no crowds for the next 5 days at least in Melbourne :(

Time to accept that this is here forever.

These sh1t lockdowns will never end.

Good 1st set by Kryios there, should be a good match...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Good 1st set by Kryios there, should be a good match...

Kyrgios maybe a twat but he is entertaining on a tennis court. Why is Thiem standing so far back to receive serve?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Floppybits wrote: »
    Kyrgios maybe a twat but he is entertaining on a tennis court. Why is Thiem standing so far back to receive serve?

Always does. Doesn’t seem to know how to play any other way.

Unbelievable this should have been done in 3 sets with Kyrgios winning but due to Kyrgios being a dope Thiem is going to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Floppybits wrote: »
    Unbelievable this should have been done in 3 sets with Kyrgios winning but due to Kyrgios being a dope Thiem is going to win.
    Thiem is simply a more well-rounded accomplished player. For all his supposed "talent" Kyrgios has never ever produced consistently. Flashes of brilliance do not make a great player. Anyway, had he won, we all know he would have bowed out in the next round. Thiem is infinitely better for the sport

Thiem is simply a more well-rounded accomplished player. For all his supposed "talent" Kyrgios has never ever produced consistently. Flashes of brilliance do not make a great player. Anyway, had he won, we all know he would have bowed out in the next round. Thiem is infinitely better for the sport

That is the frustrating thing about kyrgios, he has the talent to be a winner but his carry on is a joke.

Djokovic about to retire here,
    Well done Nadal, AO 2021 champion ...

4 games into the 5th set and still waiting on Djokovic to retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

you owe an apology to Novak.

Got a bit lucky with the break when it came but suppose he could've just taken a mto anyway.

Incredible, what a BEAST!!!!!!

He doesn't have a chance in the tournament as that injury looks bad, but wow he always manages a way to find how to win !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

If Rafa wins this, he'll be only player to win all the slams more than once. I hope he does it.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    If Rafa wins this, he'll be only player to win all the slams more than once. I hope he does it.

That will be the worst thing to happen in tennis that a drug taking cheat get that honour, it will be a black black black black day for the sport when he does indeed win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

That would be the worst thing to happen in tennis that a drug taking cheat get that honour, it will be a black black black black day for the sport when he does indeed win it.

err...mod alert? :O

Advertisement