Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypocrisy of the highest order

• 11-02-2021 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

So Micheal Martin, on a recent interview, as reported on RTE, states tough Covid restrictions to Easter at least. Travel restrictions and all. However he then goes on to say, if he is invited to Washington for the Annual St. Patrick's Shamrock ceremony, he will go, adding despite USA issues with C19. Alright for some eh. Do as I say not as I do springs to mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Dante

Max H wrote: »
    So Micheal Martin, on a recent interview, as reported on RTE, states tough Covid restrictions to Easter at least. Travel restrictions and all. However he then goes on to say, if he is invited to Washington for the Annual St. Patrick's Shamrock ceremony, he will go, adding despite USA issues with C19. Alright for some eh. Do as I say not as I do springs to mind.
    1/10

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Joe soap jetting off to Lanzarote for a sneaky holiday is not the same as the Taoiseach having a meeting with one of the most powerful and influential individuals in the world. US- Irish relations make ireland very attractive for business and foreign investment and this is part of that game.

It's not ideal but this is not a tradition he should break on account of a few whingers in my opinion.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

once he tests negative on return... no problem at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

International relations with one of our largest trading partners is absolutely essential travel. Believe me, I despise Michael Martin. But in this case, I think he's right to go. New president, one who's pro-Irish. He can have this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

He should learn to read the room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I read he's only going because he's running low on his stash of Toblerones, he's a fiend for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Its reasonable cause for him to travel - but Its ridiculous bringing in these new travel restriction fines at this stage and expect people to believe the end is in sight. These restrictions sound like they will be in place a lot longer as the vaccine rollout will be a monumental task. Nearly as a monumental as the broadband service rollout...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Infectious life changing viruses know no excuses and make no concessions when infecting self important politicians.

The whole cohort have been dropping hints for the past weeks that they want to go on their annual jolly to america.

Its barely a year ago since the volunteer organisers of every local and regional parade in the country had stepped up and cancelled them. The government was the last to act then and despite the year we have had do not seem to be able to join dots to see the basic picture. . Looks like they have not changed their mé féin attitude since last year or even golfgate.

Why are we spending over 20k a day renting a conference centre hall for them to do business in if they are not even going to turn up and are happy to gallavant off and put every medical responder and support resource and their families at risk by their greedy little self seeking antics. They can create a new tradition by zooming - the families of the army, civil servants, administrators and first responders don’t have to be put at risk by their greedy antics.

This a day after the front page news was the crucifying pressure nurses and hospital workers are put under by covid and the huge risk those travelling abroad bring to a catastrophic situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Martins only going as he knows he won't get another chance

Farcical decision but you'd expect nothing less than that from him

Stay at home plebs for months on end

No foreign travel for ye this year

I'll keep your jobs shut as well and continue to borrow instead

However I'll go off on my jolly no bother to visit Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Allinall

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Martins only going as he knows he won't get another chance

Farcical decision but you'd expect nothing less than that from him

Stay at home plebs for months on end

No foreign travel for ye this year

I'll keep your jobs shut as well and continue to borrow instead

However I'll go off on my jolly no bother to visit Joe

It's not a jolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Sanjuro wrote: »
    International relations with one of our largest trading partners is absolutely essential travel. Believe me, I despise Michael Martin. But in this case, I think he's right to go. New president, one who's pro-Irish. He can have this one.

Surely there wont be any large scale dinner with business leaders in the US which is the main argument people are using to justify this trip.

I personally have no issue with him going as long as he and his ministers have done the below.

1. Secured all the vaccines needed to get the country open then communicated the exact plan as to how and when we get the jabs.

2. Given the country a clear and concise timeline to reopening schools

3. Given the same clear and concise roadmap on when business can re-open

When those particular pieces of pressing business are complete fill your boots lads.

one rule for them....different rule for everyone else,it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Allinall wrote: »
    It's not a jolly.

How isn't it a jolly?

Martin will not do a single thing he couldn't do remotely bar give over some shamrock

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

There is a big difference between someone going to a European city or for a skiing break for a needless holiday, and the leader of a country going to the most powerful nation on earth to secure business.

It might for some show double standards, but this trip is necessary to try and salvage something out of the ashes of the global economy. It shows forward thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

one rule for them....different rule for everyone else,it seems

Indeed. As has always been the way

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Why couldn't they so it over a zoom call...is he afraid he might turn on the cat filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yes I am going to begrudge him his trip. He is a piss weak leader, who is only in the job to fulfil a personal ambition and is only going to Washington to fulfil a personal ambition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I get that the Irish economy benefits from the presence of US companies and that building/maintaining ties are important.

But does such building/maintenance require a personal visit this year?

I mean, if the Taoiseach doesn't make that visit this year, will there actually be a significant effect on US/Irish relations that will impact on the economy in some way?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭topdecko

indignation at the leader of the country maintaining yearly access to the President of the USA.
    Drawing equivalence between this and someone heading off to Lanzarote for a bender in the sun.
    People just want to complain methinks - the situation we find ourselves is crap and never ending but we can't conjure up problems where none exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Biden is more pro-Ireland than Martin so hopefully he'll rub off on our Dear Leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭joe40

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    How isn't it a jolly?

Martin will not do a single thing he couldn't do remotely bar give over some shamrock

It is extremely important that he goes. It is brilliant that a small unimportant country has access like this. USA is still a major world country.
    The trips even survived the Trump era the most inward looking administration in years.

It is particularly important now with Biden. If he extends the invitation, it would be madness to refuse.
    There will be plenty of whingers on liveline and here, but I hope common sense wins out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

osarusan wrote: »
    I get that the Irish economy benefits from the presence of US companies and that building/maintaining ties are important.

But does such building/maintenance require a personal visit this year?

I mean, if the Taoiseach doesn't make that visit this year, will there actually be a significant effect on US/Irish relations that will impact on the economy in some way?

It would not make the slightest lick of difference to Irish/American relations.

Our corporate tax rate is of far greater significance to American businesses.

The way some people are carrying on, you'd think Biden would burn every sprig of shamrock on the planet if Martin didn't visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Like other 'front liners', this is an essential journey. If you don't understand how much the country relies on US trade and tourism then don't come back on her in 6 months time complaining about austerity measures.

If Trump had won I would imagine that he wouldn't have gone. This is a very different political landscape.

joe40 wrote: »
    It is extremely important that he goes. It is brilliant that a small unimportant country has access like this. USA is still a major world country.
    The trips even survived the Trump era the most inward looking administration in years.

It is particularly important now with Biden. If he extends the invitation, it would be madness to refuse.
    There will be plenty of whingers on liveline and here, but I hope common sense wins out.

Id hazard a guess,he wont be put out,if we turn it down....yanno,what with a global pandemic having a death toll north of 2 million about and all.that

Meanwhile in ireland,we get fines if we go beyond 5km from.home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

American multinationals do not care about this visit. Do you think an Asian something 30 year old in Silicon Valley with the latest unicorn is waiting for Michael Martin to arrive to meet Joe Biden. It's not 1979 anymore. America is changing. Not saying that in a disparaging way or to put the would be CEO above the politician but if you're argument is that this is to foster relationships to encourage investment then I disagree.

I'm all for diplomacy but if you strip it back the tradition is just that, a nice way to celebrate the Irish and American links.

I love how people act like Ireland is the only small country that "gets access" to the US president. I even doubt it even features anywhere. I remember watching Fox and CNN when Brian Cowen went over and there was nothing about it. Like our football rivalry with England, it seems to be something that's more important to us than them.

*Have no actual problem with him going BTW. He'll be fine. We'll all be fine. No sweat. Time for herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 johnboy1298

Nobody debates that maintaining good relations with the US is important but its a bit rich that we can't go 5km from home because of the deadly pandemic but he can go to the US for what amounts to a photo opportunity? Conversation etc could be facilitated on zoom or teams if they wanted and really in these times if it was as dangerous as they made out this is what would be done. Surely people can see that things like this really make the rules we're living by at the moment appear over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Think of the poor man's ego!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

There should be a protest /blockade at the airport, the people of Ireland paying for this for a photo opportunity, how many people will be going with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭joe40

Id hazard a guess,he wont be put out,if we turn it down....yanno,what with a global pandemic having a death toll north of 2 million about and all.that

Meanwhile in ireland,we get fines if we go beyond 5km from.home

Not for essential journeys.

It would be a mistake to turn it down. Not a disaster obviously but on a cost vs benefit analysis the benefits of this trip, and ensuring the continuity of this tradition, far out weigh risks. They could be easily managed. Biden is not going to put himself or staff at any risk.

If the invitation is extended the taoiseach should definitely accept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

sydthebeat wrote: »
    once he tests negative on return... no problem at all

So same for the rest of us then? Or just him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement