Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

• 10-02-2021 11:03pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

First thread here

Threadbans carry over:
    Tallyrand
    joe exotic
    Dante7
    monkeybutter
    ninebeanrows
    Mr. Karate
    scamalert
    Chuck Norris 2021 - Lifted 13.5.21, reinstated 19/5/21
    $hifty
    Micky 32 - 25-05-21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

'I can feel it coming in the air tonight...oh lord'

Prepare for takeoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Seatbelts fastened and ready for take off, tray tables in the upright position.

'Ladies and gentlemen this is your captain speaking, due to travel restrictions this aircraft will today land at Knock airport instead of Palma Mallorca international - We expect the journey from Dublin to Knock to take 20 mins, have a safe flight'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A few people have shared the examiner’s article about 5,200 people travelling the first week of February most of which were taking holidays. A friend of mine just returned to Spain (he lives in Spain) having spent the past couple of weeks in Ireland for a family emergency. He travelled to Ireland from Spain last week.

In his words; “I don't know what the Irish government are getting those figures from. I travelled from Spain; I was not asked either before I left Spain or when I arrived in Dublin if I arriving back from a holiday. While the plane was over 3/4 full, the majority of the flight appeared to be non-Irish and the same for the return flight”

• Advertisement

Nope. Never said any of that. . I never said anything about vaccinated person being immune or not.

Just pointed out that even if a person is vaccinated, they will still be required to quarantine until enough people in the destination are vaccinated. Because, as far as the destination is concerned, they could still be carrying it and won't want the traveller waltzing in and going around wherever.

Are you serious? This is exactly what you said:
    A person being vaccinated only means that if they get infected with the virus, their symptoms will be less. There are some claims that vaccines reduced transmission to a third, but it does not eliminate it.

Your being vaccinated simply means that if you come, then you are unlikely to end up in one of the ICU beds here. .

Your words. So do you take that back? Was it just a lie?

Taken from old thread because I would really like an answer from mr Trump

faceman wrote: »

It needed be so difficult. Quarantine in your own home if you live here ffs!

faceman wrote: »
    A few people have shared the examiner’s article about 5,200 people travelling the first week of February most of which were taking holidays. A friend of mine just returned to Spain (he lives in Spain) having spent the past couple of weeks in Ireland for a family emergency. He travelled to Ireland from Spain last week.

In his words; “I don't know what the Irish government are getting those figures from. I travelled from Spain; I was not asked either before I left Spain or when I arrived in Dublin if I arriving back from a holiday. While the plane was over 3/4 full, the majority of the flight appeared to be non-Irish and the same for the return flight”

So did I and again, never asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

It's almost as if when you try to deflect so hard onto an issue that you know is a complete non-issue, you run the risk of making things impossible for the genuine people.

Just to punish the insanely minute few who are going away for a holiday. Who by the way, all have proof of negative tests for f*ck sake. There is 99 percent compliance with travel testing. The absolute state of these buffoons.

Irish Times:
    1. Michael Martin has said that a “prolonged period” of suppression was required. A senior Government source said the new ‘Living with Covid’ plan, and the planned changes to commence on March 5th, would not result in any easing of Level 5 restrictions restrictions, save in the key sectors of education and construction.
    2. Enhanced restrictions on personal freedoms will extend into June, far beyond the March 5 review date previously announced by the Government, the Tánaiste has warned.
    3. Restrictions will continue right into April and possibly to the beginning of May

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Passport issue and renewal suspended until travel restrictions lifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

This is disgusting.

Now this is something that both sides of the argument can agree is totally unacceptable.

They have now suspended for the long term future issuing passports and renewal. This is simply a new level of nonsense. You need passports for many reasons, not just travel matters. Proof of identity being the main one.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

When is the next election? :)

timeToLive wrote: »

I think they are going to suspend democracy next.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

timeToLive wrote: »
    Who are you planning to vote for?
    Majority of opposition want if anything tighter restrictions.... sooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

gmisk wrote: »
    Who are you planning to vote for?
    Majority of opposition want if anything tighter restrictions.... sooo

To be honest, I reckon the majority of the country wants tighter restrictions. The economic reality of this will kick in eventually in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

To be honest, I reckon the majority of the country wants tighter restrictions. The economic reality of this will kick in eventually in my opinion

Majority of SF's support base is wasters who wouldn't know work if it introduced itself with a cover letter, they'll still get the Dole. It's the workers who will feel the pinch.

Majority of SF's support base is wasters who wouldn't know work if it introduced itself with a cover letter, they'll still get the Dole. It's the workers who will feel the pinch.

I don't know about that. Lots of working people support the shinners but I don't know if they support them for what they represent or what they used to represent.

Once the financial pain exceeds the perceived fear of losing someone from this virus things will change

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Shinners living in your head.
    LP, SD, Indos all looking for tighter lockdown. From what I can see the only ones who aren't are the Healy Rae's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Yapamillias

I haven't been back in Ireland for a few years now and recently came back. I was in the States and Germany and both places had their ups and downs in terms of how people were adhering to things on a practical level.

I have been trying to follow the Irish rules and regs and facts and figures since I got back so If I say something incorrect then don't dogpile on me.

Pros
    - People seem to be wearing masks and distancing where I am from. Family pods are keeping to themselves (I personally don't know any people flaunting rules)

- numbers are lowering

- Its not raining as much as I expected...silver lining

Cons
    - National messaging is very pessimistic. It seems to be deliberate to only focus on the numbers that suit them to keep us worried. I think Leo has said that 'we should be worried'. This constant fear mongering and selective news has an impact on people that are not living but merely surviving through this. My dad has zero clue and hes just locked up at home because hes much older.

- Lots of jobs for healthcare assistants and caregivers are advertised.

- I haven't seen any advertising for public mental health for people. Maybe it isn't broadcasted on the media I watch but the mental health bill are the end of all of this is going to be one that we did not account for. We talk about the toll it is taking. We hear about it from the people that govern but I think they underestimate it. They are working. They are busy. Their day is moving pretty fast and they are able to see the process from getting from thought A to legislation B. Time passes much more slowly for the majority of people in limbo. It makes sense that they are breaking up the lockdowns into dates that they will reevaluate after a few weeks or months because psychologically it is much easier to accept for people when you have a time frame. I still think the bitter medicine we have to take now could be sweetened up. Talk about the things that are going well a little more.

- Making travel harder for people doesn't do much other than limit it for people that are willing to pay the fine or have some essential reason for going. The hotel quarantine ideas are fine. There just seems to be a reactive decision making process to everything. I was watching the Korean quarantine situation since April and was set to go over there but for some flight cancellation. We had such a relaxed travel policy that when I was coming back here in the Summer that I had a harder time getting into the bank than a non Irish person did getting through Dublin. The PCR testing should have been a given as early as we could implement it. Paying 2k for hotels or fines is a scare tactic to stop people from travel. If they wanted people not to travel then banning travel would be the play. The monetary fines are just stronger suggestions than something more concrete. Maybe we could have tracking apps for people that will be quarantining at home like in Korea? That way irish returning from home can be accounted for while non nationals can stay in the hotel.

- The numbers for contractions of Covid in hospitals seem pretty high. I know that even now not all doctors are even vaccinated. Surely they would have been the first to get the jab. A lot of healthcare workers out sick or being asked to work with pending covid tests.

- Regarding travel which is the main point of the thread. I think travel is not the main cause of the spread as much as the lack of system in place for when people return. We demonize people that want to leave but its only because its strongly advised not to. If people had to test and quarantine and retest then they are of no danger to anyone when they enter the country no? I am open to differing opinions of course. The thread is for discourse and discussion.

Sorry about the block of text...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stick to discussing travel, and not wider political points

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Are you serious? This is exactly what you said:

Your words. So do you take that back? Was it just a lie?

Taken from old thread because I would really like an answer from mr Trump

Jesus Christ. I already explained it to you https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116237363&postcount=9862

If you are still having issues then you better point out what I said that has your knickers in a twist.

This is the sentence that you highlighted and so I presume this is the knickers tightening one
    A person being vaccinated only means that if they get infected with the virus, their symptoms will be less

Please feel free to fill in the blank
    A person being vaccinated only means that if they get infected with the virus, their symptoms will be _______

A) Less
    B) Greater
    C) Equal

What do you think the purpose of a vaccination is? To enhance the symptoms? To make no change to them? You seem to have fierce difficulty with the apparently revolutionary statement that a vaccination would lead to less symptoms in future.

As for the taking it and passive aggressively copying and pasting the post again, after I had already responded to it on the old thread, just because there is a new thread with a fresh front page, all I can advise is to get a life for yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

I'm off to Portugal see the parents in Portugal in May, as long as this proposed 2k fine doesn't come in the meantime.

BiggJim wrote: »
    I'm off to Portugal see the parents in Portugal in May, as long as this proposed 2k fine doesn't come in the meantime.

Forget the 2,000 fine...it could be prison time like it is in Britain. Only ten years though.

Thank goodness for our leaders. They really really care.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/lying-on-arrival-could-mean-10-years-in-prison-in-england-england-matt-hancock-government-country-citizens-b1799932.html

Jesus Christ. I already explained it to you https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116237363&postcount=9862

If you are still having issues then you better point out what I said that has your knickers in a twist.

This is the sentence that you highlighted and so I presume this is the knickers tightening one

Please feel free to fill in the blank

A) Less
    B) Greater
    C) Equal

What do you think the purpose of a vaccination is? To enhance the symptoms? To make no change to them? You seem to have fierce difficulty with the apparently revolutionary statement that a vaccination would lead to less symptoms in future.

As for the taking it and passive aggressively copying and pasting the post again, after I had already responded to it on the old thread, just because there is a new thread with a fresh front page, all I can advise is to get a life for yourself.

To provide immunity, which is exactly what these ones are designed to do

Why you insist on repeating the lie that vaccinations wont provide immunity but will only reduce symptoms, is beyond me.

So, again, you agree that vaccinations provide immunity in the vast majorty of recipients, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

To provide immunity, which is exactly what these ones are designed to do

Why you insist on repeating the lie that vaccinations wont provide immunity but will only reduce symptoms, is beyond me.

So, again, you agree that vaccinations provide immunity in the vast majorty of recipients, yes?

Listen, I had to have this conversation with you before I think. Where you pretend that I said something and then "disprove" it and then try to shift some goalposts. I don't get the point of it. What are you getting out of doing it?

I never said the word immunity in the post you are getting your knickers in a twist about. I pointed this out to you in the old thread. You might have imagined that I said it, or that I said getting corona will make you immune from AIDS or make you able to fly, but I didn't say any of those things.

I only said
    A person being vaccinated only means that if they get infected with the virus, their symptoms will be less.

So what is your problem with that? If someone tells you that they are vaccinated, that is all that you know about them - that if they get infected with the virus, their symptoms will be less.

What are you trying to say - that their symptoms will be more? Or that everyone who gets a vaccine will be immune? Or that nobody that gets a vaccine will be immune. None of the three preceding statements are strictly true. Whereas what I said is true. And again, I never said anything about immunity or not. (At the risk of allowing you to play your game of shifting the goalposts, you might want to look up the definition of immunity there btw. You know that if a person becomes "immune", then their symptoms will be less? Which is still perfectly consistent with my statement)

Is it a reading comprehension thing? Or did you really just want an angry-man post on the front of a probably long-running thread? In the latest post, now you say I said that vaccines don't provide immunity. As I said, I don't know what you get out of making stuff up. The ironic thing is that you are accusing me of lies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Quite frankly, I’m embarrassed to be Irish with how disgusting our representatives are acting at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Forget the 2,000 fine...it could be prison time like it is in Britain. Only ten years though.

Thank goodness for our leaders. They really really care.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/lying-on-arrival-could-mean-10-years-in-prison-in-england-england-matt-hancock-government-country-citizens-b1799932.html

In fairness to the UK that 10 year jail sentence will apply to lying on return from the red list countries.
    I seriously doubt anyone will actually be served this sentence.
    10 year sentence for this “crime” would make the UK a virtual North Korean style governance the accepted status quo.

• Advertisement

What?? Any link

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement