Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people going to be smart over Easter

• 10-02-2021 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

We really need to be smart over the Easter holidays. Schools will only be open for a couple of weeks and then Easter holidays begin. If people are not smart and start having family gatherings over Easter and the case numbers increase again, schools will be closed for the rest of the academic year.
    All restrictions should remain in place except maybe construction until at least early May.
    We just can't have schools closed from December to September.
    Be smart people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

mullinr2 wrote: »
    We really need to be smart over the Easter holidays. Schools will only be open for a couple of weeks and then Easter holidays begin. If people are not smart and start having family gatherings over Easter and the case numbers increase again, schools will be closed for the rest of the academic year.
    All restrictions should remain in place except maybe construction until at least early May.
    Be smart people.

The 5 March date is no accident. I think we’re looking at another month of restrictions to 5 April. Easter Monday.

Delighted Paddy’s Day is cancelled again. Absolute scum fest.

We saw what happened at Christmas. If some of these people had two brains they’d be twice as thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Why not keep everything closed till May 2024 just to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Because we won't have thousands of infected ex pats returning from London because of ma mEnTaL hElThz, no, I can't see any noticeable upswing.

As the previous poster said, I reckon inter county travel, at least, will be banned until just after it.

If travel really is properly clamped down on our cases really could be through the floor by then. At which point Mehole and Leo should be put on trial for criminal negligence as it becomes blatantly obvious that what they said was impossible last summer could have wiped this thing out in weeks.

I've given up on these eejits frankly, I'd be more inclined to keep an eye on when the North pubs are re opening and head there on an all dayer every other weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭mullinr2

You obviously don't have kids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

The 5 March date is no accident. I think we’re looking at another month of restrictions to 5 April. Easter Monday.

Delighted Paddy’s Day is cancelled again. Absolute scum fest.

We saw what happened at Christmas. If some of these people had two brains they’d be twice as thick.

Will they have cooperation of people to go that long ? 3 solid months of severe restrictions that would be.

At least if they rolled back to level 4 it would be a slight relief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Don't give the saddos ideas. I have a family gathering planned for Easter. If the HSE is too incompetent to have over 65s vaccinated by then it's not my problem.

Palmach wrote: »
    Don't give the saddos ideas. I have a family gathering planned for Easter. If the HSE is too incompetent to have over 65s vaccinated by then it's not my problem.

My point proven, there are still clowns out there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yep the ones advocating lock downs for another 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Palmach wrote: »

How dare you make plans for living your life and enjoying it with others!

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Yep the ones advocating lock downs for another 2 months.

in order for schools to remain open from April to end of school year. What do you think is going to happen if we allow barbers, restaurants etc to reopen over Easter. A resurgence in case numbers followed by another Lockdown and school closures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Would never really have thought of Easter as family/friends gathering sort of occasion anyway :confused:

It's just an excuse for a choc-fest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lock everybody up until at least next January, and then move to a level 4 with modifications.

Also, give grants to help install pillows and mini fridges for those who have become addicted to hiding under their beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Be smart people.

Yes Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What do you think is going to happen if we allow barbers, restaurants etc to reopen over Easter.

Sweet **** all.

The likes of Barbers are insignificant compared to other vectors of transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

in order for schools to remain open from April to end of school year. What do you think is going to happen if we allow barbers, restaurants etc to reopen over Easter. A resurgence in case numbers followed by another Lockdown and school closures.

Why the focus on only schools staying open?? lots of people work in the industries you mentioned isn't it just as important they are allowed to get back asap?
    Also once schools do open your going to see a rise in the numbers just as you did last august.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Oh stop will you. Cases will be below 150 and probably lower on the 5th March. Most of the frontline staff and care home clients over 75 or will be vaccinated by then or at least on the way to being vaccinated.

There is no need to keep us locked up like this.

Only the people that will swallow anything Mehole / Donnelly / Leo and Holohan throw at us are enjoying these lockdowns or advocating them.

Restaurants are not going to resume trade over Easter, anyone with their ear to the ground can deduce that. And there won't be tens of thousands travelling over from Britain either like Christmas. People who blame the hospitality sector miss the point, and conveniently overlook the fact that traditional pubs didn't reopen at all in December. There really isn't much to substantiate your theory of another lockdown thankfully, when we exit this one the jig is up for the misery lobby.

Sweet **** all.

The likes of Barbers are insignificant compared to other vectors of transmission.

At the minute the main vectors for transmission are hospitals - sure why dont we close them for 3 months???

Its definitely not barbers / hairdressers / clothes shops / etc.

Its not even pubs or restaurants or even international travel.

Its always something else except what the government has control over ie hospitals / nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Why the focus on only schools staying open?? lots of people work in the industries you mentioned isn't it just as important they are allowed to get back asap?
    Also once schools do open your going to see a rise in the numbers just as you did last august.

You’re having a laugh here. You can’t expect my missus to put her phone down for more than 5 minutes and be an active parent. Children need baby sitters, I mean teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Being smart is weighing up the risk towards moving back to normal. And by Easter we should be back to normal. The over 70s will be mostly vaccinated and the risk for everyone else is miniscule.

I think the March 5th date should be brought forward. And over 70s to be put into level 5 restrictions, whilst the rest of us roll on as normal. They owe it to us. We gave up a year of our lives and economic oblivion for them. They can bunker down for a couple of months until vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Being smart is weighing up the risk towards moving back to normal. And by Easter we should be back to normal. The over 70s will be mostly vaccinated and the risk for everyone else is miniscule.

I think the March 5th date should be brought forward. And over 70s to be put into level 5 restrictions, whilst the rest of us roll on as normal. They owe it to us. We gave up a year of our lives and economic oblivion for them. They can bunker down for a couple of months until vaccinated.

Thanks a million . ( rolls eyes )
    . I would actually quite like to go for a walk on the beach and drive within my county . Over 70 are not stupid they can risk asses their own situations and be careful and cautious without being in L 5 restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

At the minute the main vectors for transmission are hospitals - sure why dont we close them for 3 months???

Its definitely not barbers / hairdressers / clothes shops / etc.

Its not even pubs or restaurants or even international travel.

Its always something else except what the government has control over ie hospitals / nursing homes.
    People need hospitals. They don't actually need haircuts, pubs, restaurants, or international travel. Some clothing is necessary, sure, but most clothes shopping is discretionary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

I've had Covid already thanks to those clowns not locking down borders

I will be enjoying my easter, i'm a threat to no one if immunity exists

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ficheall wrote: »
    People need hospitals. They don't actually need haircuts, pubs, restaurants, or international travel. Some clothing is necessary, sure, but most clothes shopping is discretionary.

Ffs. All people truly "need" is water and a basic foodstuff to survive. Why not just have make everyone stay inside, china style, and the government deliver this (and maybe some sackcloth to cover the necessary clothing) . Anyone caught on the streets shot on sight. That will sort it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You might not have family receiving critical healthcare in hospital, good for you. Many of the rest of us do, so we'd rather keep hospitals open thanks.

Sorry you can't get a haircut instead, how tough it must be for you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Ffs. All people truly "need" is water and a basic foodstuff to survive. Why not just have make everyone stay inside, china style, and the government deliver this (and maybe some sackcloth to cover the necessary clothing) . Anyone caught on the streets shot on sight. That will sort it.
    The way some people are complaining about our "lockdown", you'd swear that was happening already, but aye, I suppose your solution would have us covid-free in a month or two, if they were then prepared to take steps to stop us reimporting it (yes, I know, the border, etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Amirani wrote: »
    You might not have family receiving critical healthcare in hospital, good for you. Many of the rest of us do, so we'd rather keep hospitals open thanks.

It's not all about haircuts. 25% of adults are out of work because of this with nothing to do from one day to the next. Why does every argument from pro-lockdown people have to come down to "you don't need a haircut", "you don't need a pint", "you don't need a holiday this year" etc. etc. etc.

Why are Covid deaths more important than all other deaths? Why are we looking at restrictions after the vulnerable have been vaccinated?

Amirani wrote: »

You do know that was sarcastic dont you?

As for the haircut - I can do without that but Ill be first one in the ryanair queue when these restrictions are lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭growleaves

Since they're talking about closing down next winter, if we stay closed down for the first four months of the year we're talking about roughly 2/3rds of the year in lockdown.

Unheard of for the Black Death, Spanish Flu etc.

You would think we were battling the plagues prophesied in the Book of Revelation, walking down city streets stepping over dead bodies.

Is sitting in a room alone separated from other people now our most cherished custom?

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    T, but aye, I suppose your solution would have us covid-free in a month or two, if they were then prepared to take steps to stop us reimporting it (yes, I know, the border, etc..)

We dont need to be covid free - we just need to "Live with covid"

The first lockdown was so the health service could be given time to prepare for further waves of this virus - they didnt prepare so they werent ready for waves 2 or 3 and we end up in this 12 week lock down. Had the government planned properly we could be at a level of 2 or 3 with the economy partly open while hospitals dealt with surges and protected our vulnerable which was the plan along along.

The only people in the wrong here are our beloved overlords who in all reality couldnt run a race.

Advertisement