Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling Category S, UK import?

• 08-02-2021 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

How easy is it to sell a Category S uk import? It was panel damage which was repaired and roadworthy when imported. MOT was still valid when i bought early last year. It passed the NCT and has very low mileage.

There is no log book with it either. I have no need for it now as working from home but have no idea what sort of price below market value i should be asking. Advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can request a replacement logbook easily enough, the process is well documented online. You won't be able to change the registration out of your name without it.

You will need to price the car about 30% lower than similar non Category S cars. Even at that proving the damage was only panel will be alot more difficult if you don't have evidence such as pre repair photos or insurance company report as with most people on hearing write off they will run for the hills. Important thing is to be up front with potential buyers around this because most will run a history check on the car anyway where it will be flagged. Them finding out that way means what else are you hiding. In saying all that some buyers won't care if the price is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭User1998

It will probably take ages to sell. Just be honest and say on the add that its been written off in the UK. if you try hide it you’ll only end up dealing with loads of people who pull out of the deal last minute when they do a history check. And as above it should be around 20% to 30% cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

Category s isn’t just panel damage, the s stands for structural which means more than just panel damage, although still repairable and as long as repaired correctly it can be safely returned to the road..... do you know exactly what damage was done to make it be cat s?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Can't tell if this is a windup.

CAT S.

No logbook..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

listermint wrote: »
    Can't tell if this is a windup.

CAT S.

No logbook..

passed the NCT so he must have had the logbook and already re-registered it.

(i think you're right....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Not a wind up. It was my first car. Cheap bought. Motor Check report had it as being off the road for a period of time then mot'd again. What I was told was that it was cost of aesthetical repair that was deemed uneconomical and was written off.

Mintoe wrote: »
    Category s isn’t just panel damage, the s stands for structural which means more than just panel damage, although still repairable and as long as repaired correctly it can be safely returned to the road..... do you know exactly what damage was done to make it be cat s?

It did pass the nct last year. There have been no issues with it. I am happy to be straight with prospective buyers but won't be saying anything on ad. If someone is genuinely interested in it at 20-25% lower than market price I will be honest with them. Good little car 22000 miles on the clock. I won't be selling it to make money, its a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just remember that many buyers will run a history report before contacting the seller about their car. Once their report flags it as a Cat S many will just lose all interest in the car straight away without even contacting the seller.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just remember that many buyers will run a history report before contacting the seller about their car. Once their report flags it as a Cat S many will just lose all interest in the car straight away without even contacting the seller.

Yes I understand that. In terms to the NCT that it passed last year, how much of a reassurance would this be to potential buyers? Enough to sell the car? Would the structural elements of the car have been assessed?

Ok the potential buyer does a history check, that is understandable. If I advertise it without the reg showing, let them view the car, show them a copy of the motor check report and explain, let them test drive it, offer it at a reduced price, is that the way to sell this car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

When a potential buyer seeks an insurance quote on a categorised motor there is a good chance the potential insurer won't offer a quote or will offer a greatly inflated one over a non categorise similar car!
    Has happened to myself!

• Advertisement

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    When a potential buyer seeks an insurance quote on a categorised motor there is a good chance the potential insurer won't offer a quote or will offer a greatly inflated one over a non categorise similar car!
    Has happened to myself!

See this didn't happen us last year, the broker asked a few questions but were satisfied with the info provided, it is insured under Zurich.

Yes I understand that. In terms to the NCT that it passed last year, how much of a reassurance would this be to potential buyers? Enough to sell the car? Would the structural elements of the car have been assessed?

Ok the potential buyer does a history check, that is understandable. If I advertise it without the reg showing, let them view the car, show them a copy of the motor check report and explain, let them test drive it, offer it at a reduced price, is that the way to sell this car?

Your just wasting peoples time, imagine taking a half day at work and driving an hour to be told the car your buying for your son/daughter/wife was actually wrote off? You seem to think that because the car has an NCT its a reason to dismiss the fact the car was wrote off. Hiding the reg isn’t the right thing to do either. Just state on the add that its category s and you’ll save yourself and other people a lot of time and hassle, or at least tell people when they enquire, leaving it to the last second isn’t the best thing to do

User1998 wrote: »
    Your just wasting peoples time, imagine taking a half day at work and driving an hour to be told the car your buying for your son/daughter/wife was actually wrote off? You seem to think that because the car has an NCT its a reason to dismiss the fact the car was wrote off. Hiding the reg isn’t the right thing to do either. Just state on the add that its category s and you’ll save yourself and other people a lot of time and hassle, or at least tell people when they enquire, leaving it to the last second isn’t the best thing to do

Advise taken. This is why I started this thread. I wouldnt have let anyone travel to see it without informing them first, thats just not fair. If informed and they still wish to see the car that is their own choice. I was more to do with whether to state it in the ad or inform them when they show interest. I had no intention of misleading anyone.

If its priced accordingly you will find a buyer for it eventually. What car is it?

User1998 wrote: »
    If its priced accordingly you will find a buyer for it eventually. What car is it?

2012 Vauxhall Agila 1.2. 22,000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

How easy is it to sell a Category S uk import?..........what sort of price below market value i should be asking.

If the price is right it will sell easy enough. Be 100% honest about the car in the ad, some buyers won't be too worried about it. Start with -20% market value and keep dropping until it sells.

There is no log book with it either.

Nobody will buy without this, a replacement is easy to get and only €12.
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF134_en.pdf

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Took a while but it's gone. Bought it jan 2020 for 2600, 350 for importing. Sold it today 2500. Happy enough with that.

Advertisement