Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Valley of Tears-HBO Max

• 02-01-2021 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

The series depicts the battles of the Yom Kippur War, with the first season focusing on the northern front of the war, and a second season focusing on the southern front of the fighting is also planned. The series has been described as one of the most expensive television series in Israel, with advanced technologies used to recreate the battles, including the Battle of the Valley of Tears, and the cost of each episode reaching one million dollars.[6][7]
    Valley of Tears, a new television series that premiered in Israel a few weeks ago and launches in the U.S. on HBO Max today, begins in the conceptzia’s final moments of life. We are dropped into 1973 and shown a montage of triumphant archival footage: streaking jet planes and lumbering tanks propelling themselves forward at celebrations of Israel’s 25th birthday, glistening Israelis building homes in the cities and growing grapes in the orchards, winsome pop singer Ilanit belting out her country’s debut entry in the Eurovision Song Contest, and so on. Contemporaneous news footage shows the smiles of Israeli prime minister Golda Meir, defense minister Moshe Dayan, and military chief of staff David Elazar as they assure the public that all is well. “We’ll fight the battle,” the stubborn Meir says in her Yiddish-inflected Hebrew, “and win again.”

https://www.vulture.com/article/valley-of-tears-israel-1973-war-hbo-max-backstory.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltSvPE8xw3A&ab_channel=HBOMax

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: Jeez... so intense! Straight into it from the get go!

2: Felt like this one was more on the different persectives they had on war and the effects the fighting had on the soldiers. Though..
    not sure what's going on with where the tank crew is being sent. Not sure if they are supposed to end up on that hill/bunker that's being invaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Great recommendation OP. Watched the first five episodes last night and will probably finish it off tonight. It's not perfect (two very irritating characters and a bizarre side plot involving a fish stew?) but overall very good. Excellent tank scenes in the first two episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just binged this over the last 2 days, very good

I take it is a one and done season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Skerries wrote: »
    just binged this over the last 2 days, very good

I take it is a one and done season

There's some talk of a season 2 focusing on the Egyptian invasion of the Sinai. Certainly the Israeli counter-attacks would make for great television. The Syrians made some gains initially but by the end of the war the IDF were only 40km from Damascus and raining shells on their heads.

• Advertisement

3: Jeez that fighting inside the bunker was intense.. everything there just feels so narrow and like a deathtrap. Saying that though,
    the 3 working their way around in the car felt like a really bad idea after watching the tanks. Then at the end the Yoni reveal as yer mans son, that was done well, I'd been guessing maybe it would've been the intel kid.

4: Damn
    that scene with the intel kid and the Syrian kid .. that was rough. Then the end with Yoni .. I'm guessing.. taking his first life.. the guy did some great face acting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Belter of a show, and something you really wouldn't ever see portrayed in Film or TV usually.

The Arab states certainly wouldn't make much, and I would imagine something with this wide a scope and high quality would usually be beyond a small country's indigenous TV industry.

Comparable to shows like Generation Kill, Band of Brothers, Generation War, and others of that type. Not as slick production wise understandably given the tiny size of the country, but really good show with a great cast.

5: They kinda pushed it a bit too much with
    Yoav stepping on the mine.. it was getting really obvious they were going to do that to him. Aside from that, the kid with him and how he shows his nervousness is done well. That scene at the end with Alush and what he said to Marco about staying on the hill too.

6: Geez, some intensity change right there at the end with the music
    and Dafna saying she'd change the orders. Wasn't expecting that. Separately I'm thinking the kid is gonna make it and get Yoav rescued alive.

• Advertisement

7: Hrmm... kinda of a 2 halves episode.. the scenes with
    the kid getting so excited and scared are so frustrating. Haven't a clue what's happened to Yoav.
    Then the other half
    on the hill, jeez that was a bit of a shock entering their bunker at the end. The show has kind of dodged that before now so I was expecting them to have been in a better state. It makes sense though with all the bullets and explosion that hit them.

8: Damn that got intense!
    The Generals speech in the medical tent, Melahki working things out about Marco over the phone with Riki, Dafna sneakin onto the APC and then all the tanks at the end!
    I'm guessing there's
    gonna be a big battle scene!

9:
    F*CK!! That whole interrogation scene, start to finish!

Finished. Overall, this starts at a certain level but felt like it dragged a bit into the early and late middle parts of the season. All to setup a lot of character background. It really picked up in the last 3 episodes.

10: Intense
    tank battle! I can't remember seeing all that many tank battles in shows or films. Fury being the most recent one I can think of. I was totally focussed in on Meni and Yoni and suddenly I look up and there's Marco naked :eek: Then the kid.. stuck in the interrogation.. after seeing what they did to Alush.. well.. they've convinved me he'd have locked himself in his rules and not given anything away. Then the end with Dafna and Meni and then Meni heading off after what they lost.

There's a mid-end credits scene
    with Yoni and Meni set in the future
    in case anyone missed it.

Future: I
    don't think there'd be anymore than that. Felt like a one and done.

Advertisement