Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Portfolio Split

Options
  • 07-02-2021 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Be interesting to see how at overall level how people go about allocating their money into shares.
    I have 4 buckets of 25%, and 5 holdings in each.

Value eg BOI, Dalata
    Quality/GARP eg Kerry, Alphabet. Disney
    Growth eg Okta, Billibi
    Other eg Draper Esprit (VC), Ashoka Indian Trust

Would of done better over last few years if more in the Growth pot but overall this works well for me and keeps me pretty disciplined.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

As of right now I have
    65% shares - 10 holdings, an average of 6.5% each as a percentage of total capital, the lowest being 2.5% and highest being 8.5%
    14% Crypto
    21% Cash

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

pF8wRQ.png

This is how my portfolio is set up right now.
    All ETF based as I don't really have time to be messing with the level of due diligence I'd like before picking individual holdings and I don't have to run ETF's through compliance at work like I would with individual holdings.

The asset allocation is first based on a bond/equity split and then I make country decisions.
    After which I look at the risk and return characteristics and build out efficient weightings for each component.

At the moment I've it set up that my expected return per year is a little under that of the S&P 500 but about with half the risk at portfolio level.
    Granted this allocation is based on historical data and who knows what can happen really but it should stay pretty close I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tim4

Interesting, that's a high allocation to bonds, imagine most here would have much lower than yourself.

Tim4 wrote: »
    Interesting, that's a high allocation to bonds, imagine most here would have much lower than yourself.

Can't imagine why anyone would not have owned bonds over the last two years or so the way the FED and ECB are driving the value of them up.
    Coupling that with the diversification benefits I'm very happy with them.

Look at the US yield curve now and compare it to last year and two years ago.
    made it an easy decision; currently thinking about cycling out the investment grade for HY debt.

Plus I bought into many of them as spreads were starting to retreat after the explosion in march which compounded the QE based return.

I will note this is all corporate debt rather than government debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Think alot of people see bonds as poor returns and a thing that banks and pension funds buy for steady income

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    Think alot of people see bonds as poor returns and a thing that banks and pension funds buy for steady income

Obviously in the government bond section thats very true and at the upper ends of the credit spectrum. But it'd be very unwise to throw the diversification benefits of it away. That and the oppertunities at some of the marginal areas where the lines between investment grade and sub investment grade become blurred.

I'll admit my allocation is the highest its ever been but thats been with good reason. As spreads have receeded investment grade isn't as lucrative as it was last year but I think I'll cycle a fair share of it into HY rather than all back to equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tim4

Would be interested in the HY bond area, any good research resources that would be a good starting point for a newbie?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'll update at some point, but this was what I was in at the turn of the year

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What a mental year, portfolio is up 61% for the year. My annual bonus in work gets paid in March, which coincided with the crash this year. It was nervy adding them to stocks but the shares I bought around Paddy's Day are up crazy numbers for 9 months, Trade Desk, Pinterest and Peloton all up nearly 4x.

Here's where my money is as we turn the year.

End-2020.png

Onto 2021
    I have sold ServiceNow, Veeva, Invitae, Okta and CloverHealth (IPOC) so far this year for some new ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭piwyudo0fhn57b

Very interesting

Advertisement