Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARtist in the spotlight - crisco10

• 08-02-2021 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

On to the next one! One of the more active posters over the last few months on the forum crisco10. Last years half marathon in 1.28.54 in a TT was one of the performances of the year, then you remember he did it pushing a buggy! His log "Don't stop moving" which is here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058085809
    is a great read, good quality running with a majority of it pushing a buggy and fast falling times to go along with it. I'll get it started but looking forward to some great questions like the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately he isn't enjoying the furloughed life like me and will be busy with work during the week but I'm sure we're in for an interesting read!

1.What's your favourite distance to race?

2. Favourite sport (other than running!)?

3. Is it inevitable that your daughter will be in to running considering she's probably already got more lifetime mileage than most runners?

I'll leave it at that for now as I'm anticipating some great questions coming fast!

Cheers crisco10!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

Ha thanks for the nomination Edinrunna, really enjoyed hearing about our resident Scottish exile!
    1.What's your favourite distance to race?

Nice easy slow ball to begin with, thanks! Got to be the 5km for me. Basically, I'm too much of a wuss to embrace the pain of anything shorter but I don't have the patience to race the longer ones. You could probably convince me that 10km is fun too, but anything longer is only so so for me!

No matter how bad a 5km is going, you are probably only 10 or 15 mins from the end from the point of you realizing it's going wrong. there's comfort in that. But you also have a good amount of time to "feel" your way into it. I did a few mile TT's last year, and each time the thing was half over before I realised I needed to start racing.
    2. Favourite sport (other than running!)?

2 words, but a complex answer! First of all, before becoming a grown up (only happened in last 5 years or so), I was a complete sports junky. Would watch and play almost anything.

My favourite sport to play has always been football (the english kind), and being honest I think its probably the sport I was "best" at until I gave it up when schools rugby consumed my life. But then returned to the glories of varsity and Leinster Senior League football when I left school. It really saddens me to see the state of elite football in Ireland now. I've entirely drifted away from the game.

My favourite sport to watch and engage with is rugby. I've had a season ticket to Leinster for 15 years now (some use that's been in last year!) and love nothing more than watching live rugby. It's one of my real happy places. Suppose Tag rugby is a bit of craic too.

Side note: Despite all the time I spend thinking about and doing it, I'm not sure I would consider running my favourite sport. It's primarily a fun way to keep fit and healthy that I'm passionate about.

3. Is it inevitable that your daughter will be in to running considering she's probably already got more lifetime mileage than most runners?

Ha, I hope she does grow up enjoying sport. And I definitely think it's great to get her used to getting up and out for some activity at the weekend. No matter what the weather. Being honest, all the joy I've gotten from team sports over the years mean I'd like her to enjoy them at some point too.
    On the other hand, I'm not sure if all the buggy running is actually just getting her used to seeing the world holding a hot water bottle and eating snacks! :confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Ah good to see this nomination as I've been following your log!

Questions
    1. What is your favourite session
    2. Does the buggy slow you down at all at this stage (except going up hills of course!)
    3. Is a marathon on the cards
    4. Does the little one chatter away while you run or just take in the scenery
    5. Goals for this year
    6. Do you have a dream race

thanks for the questions, and feedback - it's always nice to know someone reads the log. And your log is also one of my 1st reads when it pops back up. I think we have a lot of similarities!
    MisterJinx wrote: »
    Questions
    1. What is your favourite session

Hmm, I don't like any of them in advance. I like them all in retrospect!
    I think my favourites are the progression type ones. This way you can kind of fool yourself a little to get out the door because the start is easy but by the end you are blowing hard.

Did this session a few times in the last 6 months which I really enjoyed:

10/7/5/3min @ MP/LT/10k/5k pace with 3 min easy between the pace zones.

It's mad how tough the 3 mins at 5k pace is at the end. But it's only a 800m effort or so.
    2. Does the buggy slow you down at all at this stage (except going up hills of course!)

Absolutely. My passenger has this ongoing habit of putting on weight too, so as I get stronger she's getting heavier. All be it, the rate of growth is slowing. When I first started at 6 months old, the buggy didn't feel different with/without her. But now it's very much heavier when I put her in.
    The buggy also has a habit of catching any head wind like a parachute.
    3. Is a marathon on the cards

Being honest no. I did my only one in 2014 and was happy at the time, but I would want to go quicker this time (probably sub 3) and going to be honest, I'm just not willing to commit to the mileage required. All be it it would be kind of cool to do a buggy Marathon.
    I'm also not sure I'd be happy asking for all that patience from home.
    4. Does the little one chatter away while you run or just take in the scenery

Probably 50/50, we do a lot of counting. And she's also at the age where she wants me to repeat back what she says which is challenging when I don't understand it. It basically becomes an accidental game of I spy, e.g.

E - "I see b_ _ _ _ _ "
    me - "oh, you see the buses"
    E - "No, I see b _ _ _ _"
    me - "Oh, the bushes"
    E - "No, I SEE B _ _ _ _ "
    me - "oh, you see the birds"
    E - "No, I SEE B _ _ _ _ "
    me - "that's lovely, how many do you see?"

She likes to listen to music too, so I've started to give her a treasure hunt list (e.g. crane, dog, bike) and when its done she gets music. (A lot of Tangled at the moment). And every so often, she'll demand I sing along for a bit. Obviously.
    5. Goals for this year

My main goal, which is nothing to do with training is to go for a few double buggy runs come October (all going well!).
    Regarding training, I want to keep the miles up as best I can, and if that allowed me to crack sub 18 that would dream land.
    6. Do you have a dream race

Actual or Aspirational? I'll answer both.

Actual: Race series 10k in 2019. I had run 40:01 in 2018 and was determined to not let it happen again. So 4- 6 weeks out started a training a plan (details here) and then just executed the race really neatly. 8 out of 10km were even paced ( 1 slow one, and a strong last km) and finished in 38:38. Smashing my goal courtesy of some decent race specific training. Strava Link

Aspirational: I don't know. Maybe Comrades? have a lot of ties to SA so this race has an obvious appeal. I appreciate the irony of my answer to the marathon question above and wanting to travel to SA to do an Ultra. :rolleyes::eek::confused:
    More realistically, the bere island Parkrun seems like crack!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

crisco10 wrote: »
    My main goal, which is nothing to do with training is to go for a few double buggy runs come October (all going well!).

Congratulations:D

Great choice for this!

1. What brought you to boards & mort importantly what made you stay?

2. Who is your fav sportsperson?

3. King or Tayto?

4. Did you do much running growing up?

5. Do you listen to music/podcasts at all when running(without E of course)?

6. Do you enjoy training alone or with people?

7. Would you consider being coached?

8. If you could travel anywhere in the world where would it be & why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great choice :)

1. How are you finding running with a heart rate monitor?
    2. Which is your favourite Dublin parkrun?
    3. How many different parkruns have you done?
    4. Do you follow GAA at all??
    5. How many running spreadsheets have you on the go? :p

• Advertisement

Congratulations:D

Thanks! due in April, so mayhem imminent....

thanks for the questions, I must say you and your stones frequently cross my mind as I rely on my watch to tell me which way is up!
    1. What brought you to boards & mort importantly what made you stay?

The intelligent discourse of random people on the internet. No actually, the nonesensical arguments of keyboard warriors and wind up merchants who were on the warpath.
    The running forum was different, I just looked back and my first post in A/R/T was asking about what I would need to do for a sub 40 10km and the patience at my naivety was very impressive. :o:o

I loved the DCM novice threads of 2013 and 2014. When I'm into something, I can just consume everything about it. So for those 2 training cycles, I loved reading other peoples experiences and questions. And most of all I enjoyed how willing people were to impart their knowledge and experiences.

2. Who is your fav sportsperson?

For me, hard to look past Sexton. I'll admit I'm a complete fanboy. My claim to fame is that I played against him as a teenager (and playing at 15 I was completely owned by him).
    But for me, given he didn't really breakthrough until he was 23/24, his achievements have been unreal. No other Irish player has been such an integral part of so many key wins. At Leinster, he has 4 European Cups. At Ireland, he has 3 x 6 nations and 2 all black wins and perhaps most impressively he is unbeaten in 5 lions test starts.
    I just love the way he is a complete narky pr!ck and the opposition hate him. Similar to Roy Keane in his pomp. Except I think Sexton is a nicer guy off the pitch.

Honourable mentions for Tommy Walsh (the hurler) it must be said too. Love how he punched above his weight so consistently.
    3. King or Tayto?

Hmm, not fussed but gun to head King.
    4. Did you do much running growing up?

none. I remember going for a few random runs in the build up to the leaving cert when i was fed up studying. They were about 3km, and I thought I was great.
    I did an awful lot of running around pitches of South Dublin though, generally chasing a ball!
    5. Do you listen to music/podcasts at all when running(without E of course)?

Love a good podcast. My tastes have shifted over the years but a few that have stoodout:
    • This American Life
    • DadCast
    • Strong Songs
    • Marathon Talk
    • Infinite Monkey Cage

I like podcasts that you can tune in and out to, so when I get bored I'll start to listen in more and not be completely lost. Strong Songs isn't like that, so I save it for easy runs and relish listening to it. They basically break down a song into its constituent parts, so it's a bit technical but fascinating.
    6. Do you enjoy training alone or with people?

I love running with other people, those runs just pass in a heartbeat and I'm always sad when they're over. But unfortunately, I do most of my training alone or with E. Mostly because I am quite time constrained and want to minimize my time out of the house. And meeting with people can easily double the total required time for running.
    7. Would you consider being coached?

Hypothetically yes, I would enjoy someone telling me what I'm doing wrong. In most aspects of my life I crave feedback and a coach would be good for that.
    Realistically, it would need to be virtual, and I'm not sure I'd ever take the leap to actually researching/signing up to a coach!
    8. If you could travel anywhere in the world where would it be & why?

At the moment, I'd love a trip to London. I've spent a lot of time there with work over the years and love the city. It's been a year with Covid and I miss it. :-( Would love to be back there pottering around on the tube, running along the Thames etc.

But to answer the question in the spirit it was meant, I would love to go to Japan. We were all supposed to go in March but had to cancel the trip due to COVID. Everybody I know who's been there says its amazing, and the culture is so different. But yet, they also have ParkRuns to boost my Parkrun tourism props! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

So soon, that's great news :)

Hahaha me & my stones...I fear that will be my A/R legacy:P

Great answers, cheers!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Great choice :)

Not sure I agree with that - but sure whatevs!

1. How are you finding running with a heart rate monitor?

So far no real massive difference yet. But i haven't really invested in it yet. I'm just silently gathering data. Like since Christmas, I haven't had a 5k TT or similar to ascertain my max HR or close to it. So at the moment I'm just looking at lots of 140 to 160HR activities.
    2. Which is your favourite Dublin parkrun?

Depressingly, I had to open the parkrun page to remind myself of the various options. It's been that long since I thought about Parkrun.
    It's a bit of a trek for me, but Waterstown is lovely. an oasis of calm along the liffey and literally under the M50. Horrible last 300m though. :D:D:(

And then for ability to put in a good time, it's hard to beat Shanganagh. Pancake flat, fairly sheltered with all tar paths.
    3. How many different parkruns have you done?

Again an answer I used to know off the top of my head. 16. More than I thought actually.
    4. Do you follow GAA at all??

My dad would be appalled to hear you even ask that question. He's mad for Kilkenny hurling, so I was brought up on a solid diet of losing to Wexford and Offaly in Leinster Finals in the 90's. Clearly the last 20 years have been a little more enjoyable, and one of my sporting memories was the 2009 All Ireland final with my dad. He got us tickets right on the halfway, premium. and we had the most perfect view of Richie Power winning the penalty and Benny Dunne's red card.

I also do follow Dublin football a fair amount, but less than I used to.

Truth be told, GAA was one of the sports that has seen less interest from me as my time has been more constrained.
    5. How many running spreadsheets have you on the go? :p

Only the 1; which is really more of an on the fly calculator for Reps/Pace Conversion etc. :D
    But because I think you are getting at my desire for numbers and analysis, I do use other sites to look at my data (on top of Garmin and Strava). These are Runalyze, Veloviewer & Citystrides. Oh and I also use the chrome extension Elevate for Strava.
    I use these to look at all sorts of (meaningless) metrics like cumulative training load, roads run on, training strain etc. Maybe I'll do a post sometime in my log about what I use each site for specifically!! (just in case the weighted blanket isn't enough to help you sleep at night) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Good choice for this!

1. Do you notice fellow runners speeding up when you approach to avoid being passed by a buggy?!

2. What football player would you love to see dropped into a game of rugby so they experience a proper tackle/hit to justify their rolling around?

3. What's your go to pair of runners?

4. What sports team do you love to hate?

5. What's your favourite A/R training log?

6. Have you ever experienced negative feedback on the buggy running from an uninformed member of the public?

7. Best and worst thing about running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

What buggy do you use?
    Have you many different running shoes in rotation ?
    Have you a favourite place to run?

• Advertisement

This is kind of fun, enjoying the questions. I hope my answers ain't too boring or drab...:):P:P

1. Do you notice fellow runners speeding up when you approach to avoid being passed by a buggy?!

It's hard to tell really as you never know for sure what someone's goal is when you see them out. Maybe they're doing some sort of session etc. So I don't really notice on day to day runs.
    It DEFINITELY happened at ParkRun when we did them. I used to start at the front as we usually would do it in 19/20 mins and there was always some people who would look at the buggy and accelerate away at probably better than 18 mins pace. I really enjoyed reeling these people in.
    There was one guy who accelerated past me and then completely cut me off so I'd to brake (when the hoods up, I can't see where my front wheel is) to make sure I didn't clip him. When I drifted by him with about 1.5km to go, I had a slightly mean moment when I started singing to E quite loudly to highlight how effortless it was.
    2. What football player would you love to see dropped into a game of rugby so they experience a proper tackle/hit to justify their rolling around?

The problem with diving is that it is rewarded. So in a way, I don't blame the players. Its human nature to exploit a system to the max. With that being said, I'd love to put Ronaldo in at centre. Partly because he is a massive proponent of the falling around gang, but I actually also think he is a tremendous sports person and could actually adapt given (a lot) of time.
    3. What's your go to pair of runners?

For a long time my day to day was Nike, but got a pair of NB 1600v4 (in cherry) and still save them for "good" days. The runners equivalent of my sunday best. They're a bit flatter and lighter than my array of Nike and just feel bouncier for it.
    4. What sports team do you love to hate?

I don't hate them, but I do love to not like Munster. Fairly obvious really, such big rivals over the last 20 years in particular and so many stereotypes to support it. (posh city boys v farming culchies etc) lol
    I've really enjoyed going to Thomond the few times I've been there and thought the atmosphere was entertainingly hostile (rabid!) at the Pro12 final in 2011. I think I also got a little ingrained in my position with all the Lunster sh!te and semi final ticket debacle in 2009. There was some of that that really annoyed me.
    But then the irony is that those same players are supported by me when they change into green.

5. What's your favourite A/R training log?

Can I pick 2?

I really enjoy ReeReeG's because of the consistent approach she has. Not just in getting out all the time, but she is always trying new training plans etc. Compared to me, where I could easily go out for weeks on end doing easy run after easy run with no focus, she's a world apart. She's also fairly good at putting ideas across well, like she reads a lot or something. :D

I also like Lambay's. Again because I admire his consistency but for me he's also that bit better than me that I feel I can learn tonnes. However, not so far away that I feel it unrelatable. It's also nice that he uses a lot of the same running routes as I do!
    6. Have you ever experienced negative feedback on the buggy running from an uninformed member of the public?

This is something I had heard about before I started buggy running, but no I can't say I have. People are generally very positive and supportive in their comments.
    7. Best and worst thing about running?

The best: It's such an efficient way to improve your mood. Like if I'm in a terrible mood, a 30 min run will 95% of the time make that mood go away. So even allowing for changing/showering, it would take less than the time of a good Netflix tv show to do. AND you can do that anywhere with the minimum of equipment.

The worst: Hmmm, I don't know. It's maybe a bit binary in that you either do it or you don't. Like people who don't run have very little interest or ability to talk about it. Where as other sports are a little more accessible, like I'd say most of the country could blag a conversation on All Ireland Final day but unless you run, you have no idea what 5 minutes per km means for example. And this can lead to it being a bit intimidating despite the activity itself being the simplest thing possible...

Congrats on the pending new arrival, you'll have to get one of the double buggies with the shoot for the younger one so you can stay as streamlined as possible!!

Glad you enjoy my ramblings as well :)

A few more questions as well.

1. Worst ever race
    2. If you had to choose a last meal what would it be
    3. Tips for training for those with time constraints

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey another Rugby Fan :D

Which Drop Goal and why?
    2009 Ronan O'Gara's GS winning chip
    2018 Johnny Sexton's wet boot in the France opener

What position did you play? What was your best moment?

What do you make of all the carbon plate business? Have you got some?

Do you grease the wheels and pump the tyres of the buggy? :)

Do you find the buggy helps your posture and foot strike in that it keeps you tall and leaning forward? Are us non buggy runners missing a trick? :D

Thanks for the questions My Bad - I also enjoy your log. Like a lot of my favorites, the consistency is admirable!
    MY BAD wrote: »
    What buggy do you use?

Out and About Sport v3. It's basically the same as the v4, and I got it 2nd hand for €100. But that was a complete steal, it had hardly been used and it's RRP is ~€400.
    I'd go so far as to say, of all the baby related things we got it has been by far the best value. Looking at the 2nd hand market, I could probably get about €80 for it now, which given the amount of use I've gotten is absurd.
    Have you many different running shoes in rotation ?

This is a steady 4. At the moment its Asics Novablast (plodders), Nike Pegasus 34 (plodders) , NB1500 v4 (quick) & Nike Vomero 14 (long runs).
    Have you a favourite place to run?

Ooooh, that is a great question. Ironically, I don't really like my area - it's either an industrial estate or lots of suburbia (or the hills!). My favourite place in my area is the DBR mile loop in Marlay when it's not too busy. Nice flat, good surface and regular changes in scenary.
    I have lots of runs in places that I loved at the time, but wouldn't go there all the time. for example:
    • Killiney Hill
    • The lighthouse run/walk in Sandymount
    • Fairycastle/Three Rock
    • The coastal route between Camps Bay, Clifton and Bantry Bay near Cape Town
    • Mount Lucas Parkrun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Nice choice,

Hi Crisco10

You mentioned a couple of times previously that you are a graduate of a former DCM novice thread . How did you get on at that marathon? Have any other races come close in terms of atmosphere?

If you were in Andy Farell's position and you didn't have Sexton against the French. Would you start Billy Burns?

If you don't mind me asking, what team did you play for in the Leinster Senior league?

You have been pitched quite a few buggy questions already so I won't ask you anymore. Best of luck on that front in the coming months. There used to be a woman up in Marlay that ran with 3 kids in a buggy regularly- Target for you :)

P.s. If you ever looking for company for running, give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Another interesting one!

Has your passenger caused many abandoned runs?
    Why Bere Island for the park run? (I have some thoughts here but I'll let you reply :D)
    What's your tipple of choice?
    What's you go-to S&C exercise to keep the running on track?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hi - this has been a great read so far. I'll throw a few into the mix.

1. Do you have an approach to racing? All out from the start or feel your way into a race?
    2. Do you have a pre-race ritual?
    3. You have someone to mind E for the weekend, Covid-19 is but a distant memory; what do you do?
    4. Favourite take-away?

Congrats on the pending new arrival, you'll have to get one of the double buggies with the shoot for the younger one so you can stay as streamlined as possible!!

Not sure about the chute, but the double buggy has been procured and is "running compatible". I couldn't swing a specialist double running buggy this time round!

A few more questions as well.
    1. Worst ever race

Fortunately I don't have many. Probably because I'm starting to think I'm a complete sand bagger who also likes to learn from losing as well as winning.

But the stand out for me was the Dublin Series Half in 2017 out in Newbridge House. I'd gotten married that year, so hadn't really been training so my goal was enjoy a roughly 90 min HM and bank it going into the winter.
    If anyone remembers, the traffic mgmt plan was completely useless so the tailbacks to the start area were shocking.

Eventually got to the gathering area (after the start time had been delayed officially) and milled around with hundreds of others - going bathroom etc then decided to wander up to the start area for a recce. And the race had started? they were just doing a rolling start at that point...So off I went. bit of an anti-climax.

The route was horrible too, 1st half up hill then turn back on yourself down the old N1 into a southerly wind. Nonetheless, I was just on pace for sub 90, but hanging on when at about 17km a Garda stopped me running so a taxi could come out from a side road. :eek::eek::mad::mad: I never got the pace back and wandered in in about 1:31.

My wife didn't understand my irritation, especially since I hadn't worked that hard in build up or had a strong goal. But it was just a disaster organisationally, and the icing was being f*ckin stopped running as I was entering the championship minutes.

rant over. so yeah that race.
    2. If you had to choose a last meal what would it be

Slow roasted leg of lamb will all the roast trimmings. Not that hard to cook but my god, heaven on a plate.
    3. Tips for training for those with time constraints

Plan, and be opportunistic. So plan your day ahead and communicate the plan to those who need to know, you'll most of the time find a window to get out (even if it means setting an early alarm say). But also be opportunistic, sometimes you'll be sitting there and realise "hold on, would anybody notice if I wasn't available/around for the next 45 mins?" and a lot of the time the answer is not really. In those cases, just go!

Look, I'm no great expert in this area, others on the forum have the same constraints as me and run more. I was proud of some of the running I used to squeeze in when travelling with work though. Like the day I did 3 runs in 3 different countries to make up the mileage.

chute
    Faceplam - Spelling was never my forte........ ha ha

Faceplam - Spelling was never my forte........ ha ha

lol, I didn't want to be that guy, but couldn't phrase it without using the word. and thought shoot (sic) would have been harsher!

I cringe at some of the typos I post too, particularly between their/they're/there and its/it's. Like i know the difference clearly, but sometimes post without proof reading.

• Advertisement

No offence taken :-) :-) As a left handed engineer I sometimes suffer translation issues from my head to the screen, spell check however is the greatest invention ever made!!

Hey another Rugby Fan :D

Always good to see a kindred spirit! Munster fan?
    Which Drop Goal and why?
    2009 Ronan O'Gara's GS winning chip
    2018 Johnny Sexton's wet boot in the France opener

Ohhhh, really hard decision. They were both huge moments. Let me think out loud for a bit:

ROG's was seminal and felt so immediately, but then we had to defend the kick off (we all know how that went - thanks Paddy Wallace!). The kick was also a lot "easier". But it was definitely a real goose bumps moment. And our 1st GS since Jackie Kyle.

Sexton's: We'd actually outplayed France all day, conceded a soft try and looked like losing a match we should have won. But if we had, it was "only" the opener and losing in Paris isn't exactly a disgrace. When Johnny went for it, my overwhelming first instinct was wtf, that's a very long kick in the 80+ minute what are you doing. But then it landed and that was that, game over, we'd won in Paris.
    And it only became more important as it really kick started the next 4 months of glorious success for Ireland and Leinster.

Gun to head; Sexton's. I just get more excited by it. I don't know why.
    What position did you play? What was your best moment?

Utility back, but probably at my best in the back 3. Was a safe pair of hands with a bit (but not lots of pace), technically good defender (needed to be because of my lack of size), and a handy boot.

Best moment was probably in schools cup when I was defending blindside of a 5m scrum. Their highly touted 8 came blind, clearly aiming to barrel over me for an easy score. And eh, safe to say he didn't. Instead he went backwards on his arse and dropped the ball when he hit the ground. l still remember the looks of my team mates when I got up, they were proper impressed. I just pretended like it was nothing, despite being surprised at myself.

(thanks BTW, haven't thought about that in a few years! )
    What do you make of all the carbon plate business? Have you got some?

I'm all for an extra 4%! But am I really? when I'm racing an arbitrary set of times (my PB's), the extra 4% would just drop my baselines and I'm basically back to where I started motivationally. And does any one else really care if my 5km PB is 18:15 or 18:15 less 4% ??

That said, if they come down on price, I'll be all on board the bouncing foam/blade boat.
    Do you grease the wheels and pump the tyres of the buggy? :)

not as much as I should! the salty winter surface water also plays havoc with the parking brake which I ignore solidly. I have been known to pump up the tires extra hard on a morning when I'm feeling like a need a bit of spring in my step. I did before St Anne's Parkrun once, and I felt like I was wearing carbon plated shoes!
    Do you find the buggy helps your posture and foot strike in that it keeps you tall and leaning forward? Are us non buggy runners missing a trick? :D

in a word yes. I wouldn't say it keeps me tall as you can easily start to lean into it a bit much on hills or into headwinds. But what it certainly does is shorten my stride a little and make it impossible to overstride. When I watched this video from James Dunne a while ago, I realised the buggy was really good at keeping my knee bent as my foot hit the ground. If I were to try running with a locked knee on impact, I'd be kicking the buggy.
    It also does naturally force you to engage your core a bit more.

One downside is it curtails the use of your arms by at least 50%!

Thanks for the questions Lambay, as mentioned before your log is one of my go to weekly reads. really enjoyed the foray into schoolboy football nostalgia too!
    You mentioned a couple of times previously that you are a graduate of a former DCM novice thread . How did you get on at that marathon? Have any other races come close in terms of atmosphere?

I was a dropout in 2013, ITB overuse injury in late August put paid to that years cycle. Learnt a lot as it was my first year of running consistently.

I came back in 2014 with 2 goals, 1) make the start line and 2) finish in a time that did myself justice.

I loved all the training (the buzz of the long runs being my new longest run ever etc.) and had only one injury scare with a tweak of my hamstring at Tag rugby in august. The race itself went to plan, hit my target pace of ~5/km and finished in 03:24. (Race Report).

The crowds were unreal and as was the atmosphere. The only comparable race for me was the Great North Run up in Newcastle. Think it has 80,000 entrants or something crazy like that, so it's a real carnival atmosphere. Red Arrows display at the finishing area and all. Downside for that race is the route is a tad insipid.
    If you were in Andy Farell's position and you didn't have Sexton against the French. Would you start Billy Burns?

Bit of a hobson's choice. And I don't think so. I'd probably go for Ross Byrne. Burns is just a bit meh for me. He is an alright general at club level but think he lacks the top 10%. I'm not sure Byrne has it, but at least he is a few years younger and more top level experience (with Leinster). I also feel bad that Byrne keeps getting his "chance" in Twickenham!

If you don't mind me asking, what team did you play for in the Leinster Senior league?

A team I am quite sure doesn't exist anymore - St Judes. We were truly a lost cause at times. :pac::pac::D
    You have been pitched quite a few buggy questions already so I won't ask you anymore. Best of luck on that front in the coming months. There used to be a woman up in Marlay that ran with 3 kids in a buggy regularly- Target for you :)

Eh, that's actually 2 targets. Let's see how the double buggy works out first. ;);)
    P.s. If you ever looking for company for running, give me a shout.

I might actually! could meet in Marlay for a a few laps of a Saturday or something.

jackc101 wrote: »
    Another interesting one!

Has your passenger caused many abandoned runs?

Not 1 actually! The only abandoned run we've had was 2 weeks ago on that Saturday with terrible weather where I made some clothing choices that were totally inappropriate. So had to return home and spend an hour thawing. E was fine though wrapped up as she was with her heated unicorn for cuddles
    Why Bere Island for the park run? (I have some thoughts here but I'll let you reply :D)
    It just feels like quite an adventure to have to get a ferry over to a Parkrun! On a nice summer's day, I also suspect the views are outrageous.
    What's your tipple of choice?

Not much of a drinker, not drinking from about age 18 to late 20's. But have always enjoyed a nice glass of red wine. Usually Rioja, or Bordeaux of some type. That 19 Crimes one from Australia is also quite nice for its price.

Still don't drink much, a bottle would last me 4 days which disgusts my family no end.
    What's you go-to S&C exercise to keep the running on track?

I hesitate to answer this question lest it be interpreted as me being a) an S&C guru or b) someone who does enough! - neither of these are true.:o:o

BUT, if I do fancy doing some, I'm a big fan of nice controlled single leg squats. Love the deep stretch of the hamstring and the slight ache in the glutes the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

It just feels like quite an adventure to have to get a ferry over to a Parkrun! On a nice summer's day, I also suspect the views are outrageous.

You are dead right, there would be a few points on that parkrun route that would have a 360 view that would knock your socks off. You'd just need the right weather ;)
    Thanks for the replies!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Hi - this has been a great read so far. I'll throw a few into the mix.

Thanks! glad to hear you have enjoyed. I must say all this talk of me is making me feel like a narcissist!
    1. Do you have an approach to racing? All out from the start or feel your way into a race?

I sort of do.
    1. Over research the race. Usually a desktop survey of the course using a variety of mapping tools. Use that to get a sense of pacing strategy on the course
    2. Throw said strategy out the window when I wake up on the morning of the race because I convince myself it's too aggressive
    3. Talk myself down from the brink with something like "Just start at X:XX and take it from there"
    4. Do that in race
    5. Accelerate as it goes on
    6. Finish quite quickly with probably a little too much left in the tank

2. Do you have a pre-race ritual?

Well, some of the above is a "ritual" I suppose! I would definitely count the research as part of getting my head in the game. Even the logistics research like parking etc.
    On the day of, I'd usually have a sugary light breakfast like granola with some black coffee. Then let nature take its course before leaving the house.
    I have a singlet, and short shorts that I keep for race days. Even putting them on helps focus me a tad.
    I also prefer to arrive early and would usually sit in car browsing phone before doing warmup etc (usually just a km or so with a few strides) and off we go.

PS. funny my default answer was "I don't have a ritual".....turns out I do!
    3. You have someone to mind E for the weekend, Covid-19 is but a distant memory; what do you do?

Easy, down to the Cliffhouse in Ardmore with my good wife. Go for a swim in the sea, get a massage in the Spa and chill in the outdoor hot tub, then over to the restaurant for the tasting menu with wine pairing.
    Sunday something similar, epic breakfast in the hotel, bit more swimming and maybe do the cliff walk to burn off a fraction of the calories consumed.
    4. Favourite take-away?

Cuisine? probably Indian or Thai.

One of the benefits of COVID is our favourite Indian restaurant now does takeaway (Ananda in Dundrum). Love that place, and we are actually getting it this Saturday.
    They sort of do a modern twist on the classics, with a bit of a fine dining vibe. It's hard to describe, but everything is just so damn tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Like the day I did 3 runs in 3 different countries to make up the mileage.

Can you elaborate on that one please?

Like the day I did 3 runs in 3 different countries to make up the mileage.

Can you elaborate on that one please?

Ha gladly!

Was travelling to Gothenburg via London for work.

Run 1: Dublin

My flight was at about 9.30am, which is actually an annoying time to fly because pre COVID, timing the m50 to be getting to airport at ~8.30am is next to impossible. So just got the taxi over at about 7am, in my running gear. Checked in my bag, and kept small running bag on my back with towel, change of clothes, laptop etc in it. Then did a bit of a run around Dublin Airport

Link to Strava

Quick baby wipe shower then over to Heathrow.

Run 2: London

Needed to transfer from T2 to T5, so decided to do it by foot instead of endless bus rides. Took a bit of research, but found out you can get any red bus free to get from T2 to the outer road of LHR. So changed back into my gear, and got the free bus, and started running toward T5. Added a little loop to get the run above 5km.

Link to Strava

I actually had a meeting in the BA lounge, so I also availed of the shower facilities while in there. Then onto my flight.

Run 3: Gothenburg

This one was a a lot more straightforward, I just popped out for a run before dinner after I arrived at my hotel.

Link to Strava

As I said before, bit of flexibility helps. It allowed me to squeeze in 15km on a day when otherwise I could have felt like I just sat around getting lethargic on airplanes/in airports. The novelty was clearly a bit of craic too.

Advertisement