Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Sports Podcasts golf or otherwise

• 06-02-2021 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Not sure if this was done before, always good to get good recommendations. Been listening to The Caddy Network lately, but particularly Ep 42 which is an interview with Irish caddy Lorcan Morris, very very interesting guy!!

Also I really enjoy the weekly offering of the golf OTB Podcast, but sometimes I feel they go on a bit too much about Rory and I sometimes find Fionn Davenport and Nathan Murphy hard to listen to, but Peter Lawrie is great!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

OTB is grand, Lawrie is good as you say but Fionn Davenport is beyond awful.

NoLayingUp is the best golf podcast for me

Sky sports golf podcast is good also although they've started taking up half the podcast with player interviews recently which are pointless imo

A lesser known one that I enjoy is "In the grill room" with the talksport commentator Bob Bubka

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Hard to pass "No Laying Up", last week episode afters Reeds thing...... you know what I mean..... was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

McKellar golf is excellent

Different type and more say educational

On the mark podcast
    Hows my hand path

Golf science lab has some good stuff

For golf fitness type stuff
    18 strong
    Fitforgolf podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Snotty wrote: »
    Hard to pass "No Laying Up", last week episode afters Reeds thing...... you know what I mean..... was very good.

I stopped listening to NLU a while back as was finding them annoying but might check out this episode

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭golfer79

As two others have mentioned him above, how OTB Golf Weekly persist with Fionn is absolutely beyond me. I often have had to tap the 30 secs forward button a few times and getting to the stage where it’s sliding down my list of must listens. Have big time for Joe Molloy (on tv and radio) and Lawrie is good.

Personally, love the Shotgun Start with Andy Johnson and Brendan Porath, always my first listen and it is three episodes a week.

Andy also does the Fried Egg, which is more about courses and course design but does have some good interviewees. All the episodes with Geoff Ogilvy have been excellent.

Mckellar golf is good.

Pepper Pod, Eddie Pep and Andrew Cotter.

I do listen to quite a lot of The No Laying Up stuff also and their YouTube work can be good. Their Strapped Series particularly excellent on YouTube, Neil and Randy both very likeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

NLU on Spotify is great because they have a big back catalogue.

You obviously listen to stuff you shouldn't. But it is covid times.

If getting boring. Read descriptions and pick out big interviews.

3 off the tee podcast is very good. Have had some great guests on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I stopped listening to NLU a while back as was finding them annoying but might check out this episode

Think you need to read the episode title before deciding to listen, I like their preview or recap of events, but if it's an interview episode, I'll normally give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Another vote for McKeller with Lawerence Donegan and John Huggan. Excellent format with great guests. The magazine is also brilliant for anyone that’s into that sort if thing. Pricey but great content

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

redzerdrog wrote: »

I think the strength of NLU is they've 2 types of podcasts; the interviews & the 4/5 guys chatting. I'm still deep on both right now, but can see how sometimes the chats can be a bit annoying, the interviews I really enjoy.

Another I've recently come across is the Golfers Journal. Tom Coyne hosts it, can go a bit deep at times but after reading some of his books, he is an entertaining guy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Also The Open podcasts are good too. They do recaps of previous Opens. There was a good one on the 1977 duel in the sun. The last one was a tribute to Peter Alliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

I get fairly bored of NLU. They're decent but my favourite would easily be the newstalk one. But for NLU I'm still hearing about the Steve Elkington one how long after it? And his stories with monty. It was a good interview, but the fact that it's talked about so much shows me there's a lack of interesting stuff there.

Rick sheils is okay as long as you take him for what he is. Very lighthearted! But I think he's likeable. The one with Robbie Williams was good. I think the one he did with the female amateur was about my favourite of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭willabur

I like the golfers journal one.
    I think I will always listen to OTB golf weekly - its an easy listen.
    NLU can be excellent but also it can be annoying. I really like DJ Pie, I think he is the talent there when it comes to being a golf journalist. Soly for me is too bland, far too concerned on staying on the good side of the guest most of the time plus the adverts are really really annoying.

Interesting podcast last week on the proposed restrictions last week. They had a guy on called Geoff Shackelford who was advocating rolling back the tech allowed on the course. You could feel the awkwardness of Soly as presenter of a podcast that pummels you with the latest Callaway tech to get those extra yards out of yourself. True enough its the one episode that didnt include it so I guess they are aware of the blatent conflict of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Get a Grip with Max Homa and Shane Bacon. I've only listened to the first 2/3 but like them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CackHand

I agree with previous users on the NLU guys. Some of them are a tough listen but anything with Neil, Randy and DJ is generally excellent. The Strapped series on YouTube along with the Tour Sauce series are excellent.

Golf Subpar with ex PGA player Colt Knost I find has a good mix of serious golf talk and general chat. Excellent access to players with interviews with the likes of JT, Ricky and in particular Pat Perez who is a beauty.

For younger listeners, Foreplay Golf from Barstool Sports is very much general humour with a side of Golf but their YouTube content is very good with again good access to Tour players.

I am happy to hear I am not the only one that finds Fionn's monologues on OTB a bit much. I am sure he is a nice man but he sure is a tough listen. Lawrie and the odd guest appearance from McGrane are very good. Joe Molloy is great but as I think he would admit is a total golf nerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭bren2001

NLU is the main golf pod for me. It's very hit or miss but I usually find it funny and engaging. When something happens e.g. Reed or a major, it's the pod I go to first.
    El Sueño wrote: »
    OTB is grand, Lawrie is good as you say but Fionn Davenport is beyond awful.

NoLayingUp is the best golf podcast for me

Sky sports golf podcast is good also although they've started taking up half the podcast with player interviews recently which are pointless imo

A lesser known one that I enjoy is "In the grill room" with the talksport commentator Bob Bubka

It's funny, I'd be of the exact opposite view. I find Fionn very interesting to listen too and he's the reason I still listen to Golf Weekly. I find Lawrie just makes repeated controversial points with very little insight. They had Gary Murphy (I think) on one of the pods towards the end of last year and I thought he offered much more depth than Lawrie.

willabur wrote: »
    NLU can be excellent but also it can be annoying. I really like DJ Pie, I think he is the talent there when it comes to being a golf journalist.

He's excellent, I believe he produces all of their video content aswell. He used to work for the pga tour if I'm not mistaken. He's definitely their MVP. In terms of comedy value I think Randy is a long way ahead of the rest. Neil is very likeable and funny also. The other two I could take or leave.

bren2001 wrote: »
    It's funny, I'd be of the exact opposite view. I find Fionn very interesting to listen too and he's the reason I still listen to Golf Weekly. I find Lawrie just makes repeated controversial points with very little insight. They had Gary Murphy (I think) on one of the pods towards the end of last year and I thought he offered much more depth than Lawrie.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Fionn but it's interesting that he's so polarising. I agree about Gary Murphy though, he's one of the best pundits out there for me.

El Sueño wrote: »
    He's excellent, I believe he produces all of their video content aswell. He used to work for the pga tour if I'm not mistaken. He's definitely their MVP. In terms of comedy value I think Randy is a long way ahead of the rest. Neil is very likeable and funny also. The other two I could take or leave.

I love Randy and Neil, but the value they bring is outside of the podcast realm. 'Strapped' is by far and away my favourite youtube golf content. Its the closest thing to Bourdain's parts unknown style program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

The Ringer is a really good sports podcast/website. The focus is primarily the US sports but some decent golf takes: https://www.theringer.com/golf

Also, seldom discussed but good when they do is 538: https://fivethirtyeight.com/tag/golf/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

willabur wrote: »
    I love Randy and Neil, but the value they bring is outside of the podcast realm. 'Strapped' is by far and away my favourite youtube golf content. Its the closest thing to Bourdain's parts unknown style program.

I suppose it is covid times. our tolerance for actual crap talk is probably up - and their podcast is more about the banter/ personalities at times than golf. If you were to break it down as actual content - most of it is fairly weak - with a good guest maybe once a month.

I'd say people who actually work in the industry have a pain in their balls with these guys who are effectively influencers with very strong opinions - but are not actually in the industry proper.

Just as an example they throw around ideas about broadcasting / equipment / the distance debate. But they have role in any of that. Unbelievably harsh and critical on certain players - but none of them have done anything at all in the game. Then they pontificate unbelievably about everything but are sponsored themselves and are backed by a gambling company.

If it wasn't Covid - no way I'd tolerate them as much.

But their You Tube stuff is great.

But maybe I'm even getting bored of them on that - as their last one was not great - and whilst admirable what they are doing - gone a bit too far - the courses they are playing - are terrible. You wouldn't play hurling on them in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LockedBoy

The Foreplay golf / Barstool sports podcast can be very good. They get great interviews and are very funny. The only thing is they recently signed a deal with Taylormade, so at times it can make the podcast seem like a bit of an advert now

I suppose it is covid times. our tolerance for actual crap talk is probably up - and their podcast is more about the banter/ personalities at times than golf. If you were to break it down as actual content - most of it is fairly weak - with a good guest maybe once a month.

I'd say people who actually work in the industry have a pain in their balls with these guys who are effectively influencers with very strong opinions - but are not actually in the industry proper.

Just as an example they throw around ideas about broadcasting / equipment / the distance debate. But they have role in any of that. Unbelievably harsh and critical on certain players - but none of them have done anything at all in the game. Then they pontificate unbelievably about everything but are sponsored themselves and are backed by a gambling company.

If it wasn't Covid - no way I'd tolerate them as much.

But their You Tube stuff is great.

But maybe I'm even getting bored of them on that - as their last one was not great - and whilst admirable what they are doing - gone a bit too far - the courses they are playing - are terrible. You wouldn't play hurling on them in Ireland.

I find the gambling sponsorship particularly egregious. They kinda sell themselves as being the good guys but when you take the money off whoever is willing to sponsor you then it weakens your objectivity considerably. This is definitely the case when it comes to Callaway sponsorship // episodes where discussion is about equipment sending the ball too far

The courses on strapped are not great but the stories behind them are important. The game at that level clearly struggles to get by, its a long way from the country club scene. It also shows how bloody lucky we are here in Ireland and the comparative value for money once you drop below the anointed few

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Golf weekly and sky sports podcast would usually be my go to but the sky sports one is more of a vodcast these days and doesn't really work.

Mckeller can be good, I like listening to the Rick shiels podcast, nothing amazing but just the lads chatting about golf but not golf on TV.

Me and my golf have a good one too, Harrington was on recently and it was excellent.

Golf strategy school for trying to improve my game.

Lots of good stuff out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I really enjoy the Chasing Scratch podcast.

https://www.chasingscratchgolf.com/about

Very lighthearted and enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I really enjoy the Chasing Scratch podcast.

https://www.chasingscratchgolf.com/about

Very lighthearted and enjoyable.

I highly recommend chasing scratch as well

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭plumber77

Only found out about chasing scratch over the Xmas and addicted now. 2 really funny guys with a golf obsession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Been listening to Paddy Talk Golf a bit recently, find him good. He has some interesting people interviewed over the years. Conor O Rourke was his last guest, young Irish golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

surprised to people being so down on fionn davenport. i like his input, particularly when he gets agitated about something.

i tried chasing scratch but just couldn't get into it.

i like NLU for years but fallen out with them a bit recently. strapped is excellent alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Golf weekly going behind a paywall. Wow could this be joes main thing going forward if it takes off.

Advertisement