Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is JJ Hanrahan Irish?

• 08-02-2021 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Why is JJ Hanrahan constantly being overlooked for the Irish rugby set up?
    Ireland suffering now as Johnny Sexton hasn’t got the full 80 mins in him.
    Hanrahan: Top point scorer in the Pro 14 in 2020??
    Shown that he has the bottle for the big occasion and playing great rugby again this year.
    Still only 28 years old and making a bigger impact than Billy Burns? at Ulster and the Leinster reserve fly halves - the Byrne brothers!!

... maybe he’s not qualified to play for Ireland??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

normanbond wrote: »
    Why is JJ Hanrahan constantly being overlooked for the Irish rugby set up?
    Ireland suffering now as Johnny Sexton hasn’t got the full 80 mins in him.
    Hanrahan: Top point scorer in the Pro 14 in 2020??
    Shown that he has the bottle for the big occasion and playing great rugby again this year.
    Still only 28 years old and making a bigger impact than Billy Burns? at Ulster and the Leinster reserve fly halves - the Byrne brothers!!

... maybe he’s not qualified to play for Ireland??

Oh c'mon, he has underwhelmed for years. A bit of form and two match winning performances recently doesn't make him International standard all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭stayback

JJ was born and bred in Kerry played Ireland u20..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Because he’s not good enough.

Was disappointing at Northampton, is disappointing now.

Carthy is the man at the moment. (Munster all my life)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I think there is also sour milk over how he handled the Munster exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I think the opposite has been shown. JJ hasn't shown bottle on the big occasions. JJ is a good outhalf and can have moments of brilliance. The Irish team needs consistency though which he doesn't give. Probably why Carty ruled out as an option also. If he was 21 or 22 and playing the way he is now he would be called up, I've no doubt about it. No point at this stage calling him up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

He just hasn't the liathroidi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

He could do a job, no doubt at all.... except there is..
    On his day, a fine player, good with ball in hand & kicking.. but when things go wrong...they go very wrong..
    It might be a mental block, bad luck, whatever you wish to call it .. but Farrell won't trust him, and that's the end of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

Is Simon Zebo Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭normanbond

If one was to believe these comments it doesn’t add up how Hanrahan managed to be the top points scorer in the Pro14 in 2020.
    He’s the form fly half again so far this year.
    Burns and the Byrnes are promising but need to be starting more important Pro 14/Heineken Cup matches before they can be considered ahead of Hanrahan.
    Andy Farrell’s tenure at the helm has been bleak so far, time to start making a few changes??

• Subscribers Posts: 40,721 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

normanbond wrote: »
    If one was to believe these comments it doesn’t add up how Hanrahan managed to be the top points scorer in the Pro14 in 2020.

The top scorer in the Pro14 is regularly not a test level player....

Do you not know this at all??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

sydthebeat wrote: »

Reason they are the top scorer is because they aren't required for autumn international window or 6 nations window. No player management requirements either.

In the 13/14 season Billy Burns was one of the top scorers in the National League 2, South...

link: belfasttelegraph.co.uk_sport_rugby_ulster-rugby_everything-you-need-to-know-about-ulsters-new-fly-half-billy-burns-37098647

Why are you quoting me to post that?

Why are you quoting me to post that?

To agree with your point in a topical and, dare I say, funny way... ?

To agree with your point in a topical and, dare I say, funny way... ?

That's a unique sense of humour ;)

That's a unique sense of humour ;)

*tip of the hat*

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

Hanrahan is headed out the door at munster again. Why would he get a call up.

Ben Healy is more likely to get a chance at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭phily2002

JJ was top point scorer and also made the top 3 for most missed tackles...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Downlinz

JJ is in the same tier as Billy Burns and Ross Byrne, all adequate for cover but none of them good enough for the highest international level. He's unfortunate to not have a few caps like the other two but I wouldn't be too upset about it.

Carty is comfortably the best of the stopgaps while we wait for either Joey to recover or H.Byrne / Healy / Crowley / whoever to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jj couldn't get past Keatley, couldn't nail down the starter spot with the Saints and if Carberry was fit, he'd be on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Downlinz wrote: »
    JJ is in the same tier as Billy Burns and Ross Byrne, all adequate for cover but none of them good enough for the highest international level. He's unfortunate to not have a few caps like the other two but I wouldn't be too upset about it.

He's not in the same tier as either. Which is why they're younger and capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Downlinz wrote: »

Carty is comfortably the best of the stopgaps while we wait for either Joey to recover or H.Byrne / Healy / Crowley / whoever to develop.

He had a higher ceiling than Burns or Ross Byrne but never lived up to it. Mentality is a huge part of being able to make it to the top level and he hasn't got it. A few flashes of showing his ability now and again is not enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Just another case of a mismanaged player and the Irish conservatism shining through. We want details over dancing. Its been like that with so many players throughout the years. Staunton, Murphy, Humphries, Madigan, Zebo, Cronin and i'm sure there's many more i'm leaving out. I mean even Keith Wood would tell you he was in danger sometimes cause of the throwing. Would we excuse that nowadays, i highly doubt it. Irish rugby is a pox at times. Its losing its soul imo.

Its a weird mentality really. I mean look at the Henshaw offload on Sat, how many times have we seen that from an Irish team over the years. Very little. If Carlos Spencer was Irish they would have written him off as flaky. Madigan was similar. and you'll probably see the same narrative with Healy now, even though Corkery looks like he has more spark. People reluctant to even bring Harry into the Irish squad when its clear he just has something, far more than his big bro.

JJ probably doesn't have the mentality but it doesn't help when you still have people looking for ROG like kicks into the corner.

Moving to Northampton was the great mistake. And losing him to them, like losing Zebo was a monumental fup up by Munster and the IRFU. Mostly the IRFU as they set the structure. Most of the blame lies at the feet of the IRFU. Through mismanagement they allowed a World player of the year under 20 nominee slip through their fingers and waste the best years of his career. And people will tell you how great the structures are, blah, blah, blah.

I really feel for Hanrahan, the abuse he gets is unreal. You'd have people willing to forgive Burns for his dog**** performance on Sunday quicker than they would JJ for difficult stuff like kicks from tee. Its madness and sums up Irish rugby.

Losing not one outhalf but two who can do what no other outhalf in Ire can do like here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCYv5b6OYWU is bordering on criminal. It was the exact same ****e with Madigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭touts

The picture on the Irish Indo piece today highlights the crisis facing Irish Rugby at No. 10. In the feature on who will replace Leinster's Sexton they have 5 players. 1 from Connacht 1 from Ulster 3 from Leinster. So in effect of the 6 top Irish outhalfs 4 of them are fighting for one starting spot in the Leinster team.

The IRFU did the right thing in moving Carberry to Munster. That his career would stall due to constant injuries was not really foreseeable (no matter the conspiracy theories from certain Munster fans). The IRFU need to do the same again now. They need to rebalance the No. 10s across the four provinces. And the same should be done with other key positions like No. 9 and Hooker.

The best thing David Nucifora could do is insist that, barring injury issues, no player at 2, 9 or 10 gets on an Irish match day subs bench if another player from his province is in the starting 15. That would see the best players themselves pushing for moves around the provinces to ensure they have a chance to make the most of their career AND achieves the best results for both the provinces and the national team.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/sexton-an-ageing-captain-in-decline-succession-plan-at-no-10-must-become-ireland-managements-top-priority-40068095.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

touts wrote: »
    The picture on the Irish Indo piece today highlights the crisis facing Irish Rugby at No. 10. In the feature on who will replace Leinster's Sexton they have 5 players. 1 from Connacht 1 from Ulster 3 from Leinster. So in effect of the 6 top Irish outhalfs 4 of them are fighting for one starting spot in the Leinster team.

The IRFU did the right thing in moving Carberry to Munster. That his career would stall due to constant injuries was not really foreseeable (no matter the conspiracy theories from certain Munster fans). The IRFU need to do the same again now. They need to rebalance the No. 10s across the four provinces. And the same should be done with other key positions like No. 9 and Hooker.

The best thing David Nucifora could do is insist that, barring injury issues, no player at 2, 9 or 10 gets on an Irish match day subs bench if another player from his province is in the starting 15. That would see the best players themselves pushing for moves around the provinces to ensure they have a chance to make the most of their career AND achieves the best results for both the provinces and the national team.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/sexton-an-ageing-captain-in-decline-succession-plan-at-no-10-must-become-ireland-managements-top-priority-40068095.html

IRFU dont have to do that at all for Munster. Munster have Ben Healy, Jack Crowley and Jake Flannery in the academy all capable of playing 10. They are trusting them
    Where were these supposed conspiracy theories about Carbery?
    Not sure any moves should be made at 9/hooker. What would you do/who would you move.
    The irish coaching team wont/cant just not pick someone as sub hooker/scrum half or out half if the starter is from their province.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Moving to Northampton was the great mistake. And losing him to them, like losing Zebo was a monumental fup up by Munster and the IRFU. Mostly the IRFU as they set the structure. Most of the blame lies at the feet of the IRFU. Through mismanagement they allowed a World player of the year under 20 nominee slip through their fingers and waste the best years of his career. And people will tell you how great the structures are, blah, blah, blah.

He was 22-24 when he join Northampton, I believe. That's not the best years of his career. Equally, he couldn't force his way past Stephen Myler when there.

JJ has had ample opportunities with Munster in the last 4 seasons since he returned (the actual best years of his career). He's had some really good performances, but unfortunately has never quite pushed on as much as we would have hoped, given his early promise. At some point, he has to take responsibility for that; it can't all be pinned on the IRFU.

As for losing Zebo being a monumental fup up; you can't force players to stay. Zebo always said he wanted to play in France at some point. Again, you can't pin that on the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭kksaints

Is Joey Carbery badly injured again? I haven't heard him playing in a while.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

kksaints wrote: »
    Is Joey Carbery badly injured again? I haven't heard him playing in a while.

He's been out since early 2020. No timeframe has been put on his return, but he has been pictured kicking a ball in training of late, I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

aloooof wrote: »
    He was 22-24 when he join Northampton, I believe. That's not the best years of his career. Equally, he couldn't force his way past Stephen Myler when there.

JJ has had ample opportunities with Munster in the last 4 seasons since he returned (the actual best years of his career). He's had some really good performances, but unfortunately has never quite pushed on as much as we would have hoped, given his early promise. At some point, he has to take responsibility for that; it can't all be pinned on the IRFU.

As for losing Zebo being a monumental fup up; you can't force players to stay. Zebo always said he wanted to play in France at some point. Again, you can't pin that on the IRFU.

Yeah you can. They clearly lowballed him and thought of him unworthy of special status. I'd imagine something similar happened with JJ, which is more understandable. Recently enough we've seen Hickey moving to OSpreys. Personally i hope it happens more. As the only way we'll learn is losing our best prospects. The only players who ever called the bluff were Zebo, JJ and Sexton.

And some people are saying he's too old at 28. so what, his only window was from age 25-28. Thats clearly nonsense.

Yeah as i said clearly some of it is on JJ. But he's getting dogs abuse as well.

I'd imagine we'd have seen the same ****e with Joey if head had a clear run. Conservative rugby people in Ireland will always prefer one type of outhalf. Sexton was a clear freak so i'm not counting him even though early on he suffered similar disparagement and the like in comparison with ROG. Unfortunately though my old SCT teammate is on his last legs.

Joey seemed to have the best balance but i'd imagine he would have got stick as well.

JJ was a great prospect and Munster and the IRFU, as well as the player himself played a part in the mess his career has become.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You can't say JJ Hanrahan was mismanaged or suffered from conservatism.

He made a mistake leaving Munster. He was not great at Northampton. Since coming back to Munster he has had more chances than he deserves to be honest, Munster will win nothing with him playing at 10.

He is a decent Pro14 player and that's it.

Advertisement